[Dillo-dev] dillo-gemini

Charles E. Lehner

May 27, 2020, 5:24:11 PM5/27/20
to dill...@dillo.org
Dear Dillo Users,

Here is a Dillo (dpi) plugin for the Gemini protocol:
https://git.scuttlebot.io/%25V0D7DtSnZyyAp1NbgOJF2ZAFMeUy9eXwyClCEKYUYAI%3D.sha256

Thread on Secure Scuttlebutt:
https://viewer.scuttlebot.io/%25PxNzVsKAQcxpgJMfwc6dYXs8IQgj44rHGRei1DDKrnI%3D.sha256

Shared on gemini mailing list:
https://lists.orbitalfox.eu/archives/gemini/2019/000241.html

More info about Gemini:
https://gemini.circumlunar.space/

Previous Dillo plugins I wrote:
http://lists.dillo.org/pipermail/dillo-dev/2019-March/011104.html

Sincerely,
Charles E. Lehner

Alan Carvalho de Assis

Jun 7, 2020, 12:55:16 PM6/7/20
to Charles E. Lehner, dill...@dillo.org
Hi Charles,

Thank you for sharing, I didn't know about the gemini protocol.

BR,

Alan

Douglas Moyes

Jun 7, 2020, 5:51:15 PM6/7/20
to Alan Carvalho de Assis, dill...@dillo.org
Gemini protocol is very new, and not widely used. There are more gopher sites still in operation than gemini sites. Interesting concept though, nothing wrong with supporting plugins so the gemini developers can add support to Dillo--but gemini really shouldn't be part of the Dillo release. Dillo has a small development team with efforts best spent on supporting W3C standards first.

You get this email because your address dbm...@gmail.com is in the
mailing list dillo-dev.

Alan Carvalho de Assis

Jun 7, 2020, 9:55:18 PM6/7/20
to Douglas Moyes, dill...@dillo.org
Yes, completely agree!

You get this email because your address dillo-garc...@googlegroups.com is in the
mailing list dillo-dev.

Charles E. Lehner

Jun 8, 2020, 10:28:56 AM6/8/20
to Alan Carvalho de Assis, dill...@dillo.org
Hi Alan, Douglas,

The plugins I wrote are intended as third-party extensions, not meant for inclusion in Dillo. (If they were, they should be all in C and using dillo's library functions). I just shared them on this list as this is the only Dillo community forum I am aware of. Actually, I see there is still a dillo-users list: https://sourceforge.net/p/dillo/mailman/dillo-users/ but it looks like its last non-spam message was in 2002 - not very promising. Is sharing plugins a welcome thing on dillo-dev, or is this list meant to be strictly for development of Dillo itself?

Regards,
Charles

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 22:23:32 -0300

Freya

Jun 8, 2020, 3:52:28 PM6/8/20
to Alan Carvalho de Assis, Charles E. Lehner, dill...@dillo.org
I really liked finding out about gemini and might even try the plugin.
So thankyou for sharing!

I try and use dillo for as much as I can as I'm sick of all the other browsers and what they do to my computer both in terms of making my computer churn and in terms of security.

I have 2gb of ram but sometimes when I use a large mainstream browser it feels like running Netscape on a 2mb laptop, long, long ago...

It was nice to hear from someone else trying to use dillo as their main browser.

Freya
You get this email because your address frey...@yahoo.com is in the
mailing list dillo-dev.

Globe Trotter

Jun 8, 2020, 7:27:55 PM6/8/20
to dillo
Is there any plans for a dillo release? I have been hearing about a 3.1 for years now, but the latest still is 3.0.5.

Yes, completely agree!
You get this email because your address itsm...@yahoo.com is in the
mailing list dillo-dev.

Globe Trotter

Jun 8, 2020, 7:36:48 PM6/8/20
to dillo
Hi,

Are there any plans for a dillo release? I have been reading about 3.1 for years now, but we seem to still be stuck at 3.0.5.