testing svn

Joss Winn

Nov 29, 2011, 3:44:54 PM11/29/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddie,

I'm trying out the latest version in svn (r528) and am running into a few problems on http://learninglab.lincoln.ac.uk/testbp/digressit/

1) Options don't save. I want to turn keyboard shortcuts and citations on but can't.

2) I can't comment on anything. With debug mode off, the submit button doesn't work. With debug mode on, the submit button works but the comment isn't posted (the animation just goes on and on). The comment is also carried across each comment panel for each paragraphs.

3) How do I test the new themes? They don't show up in the Appearance - Themes panel.

4) How do I get the paragraph-level RSS feeds to work? I can see the site wide feed, the comments feed and the feed for the post, but not the feed which turned each paragraph into an item, which we had with v2.x

5) Search doesn't work.

6) Is there a plan for releasing digressit v4? What do you need people on this list to do?

Thanks very much. Hope things are going well with you. It's good to see all the recent commits to the code :-)

Joss

Eddie A Tejeda

Dec 8, 2011, 9:38:13 AM12/8/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joss,

Thanks for the feedback! Try the latest revision and let me know what you think.

--
Eddie A Tejeda

[...]

Joss Winn

Dec 9, 2011, 4:16:09 AM12/9/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
On 8 Dec 2011, at 14:38, Eddie A Tejeda wrote:

Hey Joss,

Thanks for the feedback! Try the latest revision and let me know what you think.

--
Eddie A Tejeda

1) Options don't save. I want to turn keyboard shortcuts and citations on but can't.

Options save now. Keyboard navigation doesn't seem to work. When I turn on debug mode, tab works but no other keys seem to respond. What keys are activated for navigation?

The citation option doesn't seem to work. I should be able to hover over a number to the left of a paragraph and get it, right?

2) I can't comment on anything. With debug mode off, the submit button doesn't work. With debug mode on, the submit button works but the comment isn't posted (the animation just goes on and on). The comment is also carried across each comment panel for each paragraphs.

Still broken. As above.

3) How do I test the new themes? They don't show up in the Appearance - Themes panel.

Did you make any changes here? I need more from you, Eddie...

4) How do I get the paragraph-level RSS feeds to work? I can see the site wide feed, the comments feed and the feed for the post, but not the feed which turned each paragraph into an item, which we had with v2.x

No change.

5) Search doesn't work.

No change. Are you testing your own code?

6) Is there a plan for releasing digressit v4? What do you need people on this list to do?

Do you have an answer for this?

Sorry, Eddie, but if you want me to test it, I need much more from you. What's happening with development these days? I see a lot of regulation room stuff but are you still planning to release a new generic version?

Thanks.

Joss

Eddie A Tejeda

Dec 19, 2011, 12:50:08 PM12/19/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
It's actually more stable than it seemed. I started using the WP3.0 Multisite functions and there are a few places where I didn't do proper detection. I've tested in WP3.2 and now WP3.3 and here are my findings:

1) Options don't save. I want to turn keyboard shortcuts and citations on but can't.

They should now.

Options save now. Keyboard navigation doesn't seem to work. When I turn on debug mode, tab works but no other keys seem to respond. What keys are activated for navigation?

Navigation keyboard works for me. Might have been caused by previous errors.

The citation option doesn't seem to work. I should be able to hover over a number to the left of a paragraph and get it, right?

What do you mean? To get the citation code you'll need to enable the option in the backend and then click the quote icon. That works for me.

2) I can't comment on anything. With debug mode off, the submit button doesn't work. With debug mode on, the submit button works but the comment isn't posted (the animation just goes on and on). The comment is also carried across each comment panel for each paragraphs.

This now works. We made the action after a comment is submitted pluggable (to change functionality) but miscalled the function. Should be fine now.

3) How do I test the new themes? They don't show up in the Appearance - Themes panel.

What version are you using? I am using the latest version and it seems to be fine. Make sure the Themes are enabled in wp-admin/network/themes.php

4) How do I get the paragraph-level RSS feeds to work? I can see the site wide feed, the comments feed and the feed for the post, but not the feed which turned each paragraph into an item, which we had with v2.

You mean the content that loads when you go to the URL provided by the little quote mark? This should now be working.  The auto-copy isn't working yet.
5) Search doesn't work.

I haven't had a chance to work on search yet.

6) Is there a plan for releasing digressit v4? What do you need people on this list to do?

I've been a bit slow because I've had to get all my projects in a stable place by the end of the year. I am not sure if I announced this on the mailing list, but next year I am going to be doing Code for America (http://codeforamerica.org/cfa-2012/), and the transition is taking a bit of my time. But I think the code is almost ready. It's currently being used at regulationroom.org and has been stable for a while. I just need to polish the themes.

Keep sending me feedback in the coming days and hopefully it can be released by the end of the year!

--
Eddie A Tejeda

Eddie A Tejeda

Dec 29, 2011, 2:34:32 PM12/29/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
I think the current version is worth testing.

Things to look for:

1) Make sure all the options set and reset properly.
2) The upgrade from older version is smooth
3) I am testing with the latest WP version. Feedback on previous versions would be good.
4) I'd like to feedback on the new Digress.it custom type
5) I hoped to have 10 new themes ready for this release... but now it's been reduced to 4 (including Wireframe). There is: Wireframe: Which is used for people who would like to create their own themes. Default: The standard theme we've all come to grow and love. Research Paper: which looks like a stack of papers (needs some cleaning up) and Bold which takes a strong stance on colors (also needs some cleaning up)

I hope to have a release candidate in the next week. I also plan to update hosting site to WordPress 3.3 when the release candidate feels ready. We're inching closer!

Thanks everyone.

--
Eddie A Tejeda

Eddie A Tejeda

Dec 30, 2011, 12:48:56 AM12/30/11
to digr...@googlegroups.com
Something I forgot to mention:

Part of the delay with this release has been addressing accessability issues. Digress.it is being used with Cornell's Regulation Room project and we worked hard to get the site to play well with screen readers, keyboard navigation etc. You can read more about this here: http://regulationroom.org/accessibility/

--
Eddie A Tejeda

Joss Winn

Jan 3, 2012, 12:32:28 PM1/3/12
to digr...@googlegroups.com
I've just updated to r582, running it on WP 3.3+BP 1.5.2 and I'm getting a white screen and this in the logs:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function digressit_is_mu_or_network_mode() in /var/www/html/learninglab/testbp/wp-content/plugins/digressit/core/core-functions.php on line 27

Also, on another site running the latest digressit release (updated from wordpress.org) on WP 3.3+BP 1.5.2, I'm getting a white screen but it's not logging any PHP errors.

Cheers
Joss

Eddie A Tejeda

Jan 4, 2012, 3:03:13 AM1/4/12
to digr...@googlegroups.com
That error was not appearing on my logs. Weird. But this new version fixed that issue.

It's hard to debug the current released version without a log, but hopefully this new version resolves the issue. Thanks again for helping debug this.

--
Eddie A Tejeda

Joss Winn

Jan 4, 2012, 4:34:23 AM1/4/12
to digr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

My comments, tested using Safari and FF, here: http://learninglab.lincoln.ac.uk/testbp/digressit/

1. The header needs to drop down a few pixels to make up for the depth of the WP toolbar.

2. The comment box is broken.

3. The sidebar doesn't open with mouseover.

4. Instant search doesn't work. Unresponsive.

5. Hovering over the " citation mark does nothing.

6. Keyboard navigation doesn't seem to work. What are the keys we're suppose to use?

7. I can't see any additional themes to choose from. When I look for them to activate across the network, there's nothing related to digressit.

8. Clicking on the paragraph doesn't highlight it.

Please can you test the above site and confirm these issues? Also, do you have a similar site that you're using for testing so that we can see your test version? It feels like you're making fixes to the code but not testing them properly yourself before asking for them to be tested, which is very frustrating and a waste of our time, when there are obvious issues like those above. At this stage, we should be looking for much much smaller bugs than those I'm finding.

Thanks
Joss