DIGITS and custom caffe built

stefan...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 11:56:08 AM7/12/16
to DIGITS Users
Hi all,

i installed DIGITS sucessfully and trained some Networks with the Standard Networks available.

Now i want to use DIGITS as GUI to do some Training with a custom caffe build, to be more precise with caffe-segnet (https://github.com/alexgkendall/caffe-segnet). I know there is only official Support of BVLC/caffe and NVIDIA/caffe, but isnt there any Chance at all to work with another caffe build in DIGITS?

I can Train my Network using caffe-segnet from command line in Linux, so the caffe build works fine, but i want to use the great visualization Features of DIGITS!

If i copy just the net description inside the "custom Network" page in DIGITS, it says that caffe.Layerparameter has no Name XXX. I understand that this Comes from because NVIDIA/caffe doesnt Support These layers/Parameters. How can i include this?

On the other Hand i read in another Forum that the only difference of NVIDIA and BVLC caffe is versioning...that makes sense, if i Change the caffe path to my caffe-segnet path in the Digits.cfg file it says "your caffe has no versioning info" or something like this and DIGITS starts with the NVIDIA/caffe built.

What about just adding any Version info to my libcaffe.so like changing it to libcaffe.0.1.0 (or whatever DIGITS would expect)....i can believe ist not that easy?! :-D

I tried a lot, like adding the custom layers/Parameters to the NVIDIA/caffe layer library etc, nothing worked so far...Isnt there any way to include custom builds?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Stefan

Luke Yeager

Jul 20, 2016, 12:47:04 PM7/20/16
to DIGITS Users
We require specific versions of Caffe to save you trouble.

You could disable the version checks in this file (https://github.com/NVIDIA/DIGITS/blob/v4.0.0/digits/config/caffe_option.py), but if Caffe doesn't provide the same interface that DIGITS is expecting then all sorts of things could go wrong.

Another option would be to merge the code that you want back into BVLC/caffe:master to get the versioning and also any necessary updates to the interface[s].

GATETE Elie MAGAMBO

Apr 13, 2017, 2:02:51 AM4/13/17
to DIGITS Users
@Stephani,i also want to use it(caffe-segnet),did you manage to integrate it?

stefan...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 5:25:52 AM4/13/17
to DIGITS Users
Hi,

no i didnt get it to work but i went away from going into it deeper couple of month ago!

i used the visualization tools coming with caffe instead of NVIDIA Digits. Worked for me...

regards
Stefan