Dataset creation in DIGITS whats happening and why does it take so long?

Hyatt Baker

May 22, 2020, 8:00:58 PM5/22/20
to DIGITS Users
So first time user and I'm running through the Two Days to a Demo, I'm on the part where the ILSVRC12 has been categorized with the 12 classes and then DIGITS is used to create a data set.

It took about 28 minutes.

Why does creating the data set portion take so long?
What is happening during the the creation?
Is it just separating out to 3 data sets?

The tutorial data set is 20GB, and it doesn't appear that DIGITS is using the GPU (TITAN RTX) to help with the separation I suppose that is ok, but I expected maybe something else.

Is there something else going on here or does it just take that long?