RRDTOOL or DTGRAPH and DS2423 replacement

RODB

Mar 31, 2018, 9:19:25 AM3/31/18
to DigiTemp
1 What is the current tool for multiple temperature sensors (I have 3)? RRDTOOL or DTGraph or something else. You (Brian C Lane) talk about both.
2 Which is better ?
3 Do you have a replacement for the DS2423 counter (discontinued for some years) that is supported by Digitemp ?
Regards Rod B

Brian C. Lane

Mar 31, 2018, 10:36:20 PM3/31/18
to DigiTemp
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 09:12:35PM -0700, RODB wrote:
> 1 What is the current tool for multiple temperature sensors (I have 3)?
> RRDTOOL or DTGraph or something else. You (Brian C Lane) talk about both.
> 2 Which is better ?

These days I don't know. I haven't graphed any of my data for too long
now. I'm actually working on learning go and building a basic graph
server using d3.js

> 3 Do you have a replacement for the DS2423 counter (discontinued for some
> years) that is supported by Digitemp ?

Not that I know of.

--
http://www.brianlane.com

keypunch

Apr 1, 2018, 10:57:34 PM4/1/18
to DigiTemp
Rod,

1) Have you considered gnuplot?
2) There really is no "better" graphing choice,  It is first about what your goals are for graph and data.  I always keep the raw data.  Many like RRDTOOL, but it has a  learning curve.  gnuplot has its own learning curve that may or may not be more than RDDTOOL depending on your desired end result vs time to reach.  I have never used DTGraph so I cannot speak to it.  I use gnuplot.  My graphs are from the original raw data. I created supporting scripts that feed gnuplot to allow me to view the data in the various ways,
3) What is your need for a DS2423 counter?

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
01 April 2018 22:57

Jeff Jacobson

Apr 12, 2018, 9:23:35 AM4/12/18
to DigiTemp
Keypunch,

Would you be willing to share some on your gnuplot code? I have been using dtgraph (jpgraph) for many years to display collected temperature readings. Made the mistake one day doing a release upgrade on my linux box which installed PHP 7 and dtgraph would no longer work. Was able to install PHP 5.6 and get things working again. No one is maintaining dtgraph so time to look at something else.

Thanks