Digitemp_DS2490 not installed

Gerard Hyland

Aug 28, 2022, 12:20:55 PM8/28/22
to DigiTemp
Just recovering from a dead Linux system: moved hard drive to new hardware, went through the pain of update/upgrade all software/drivers/os etc. The system is working except for the Digitemp install.  Latest version (uninstalled/re-installed) does not have either digitemp symb-linked, or the digitemp_DS2490 exe, with only digitemp_DS9097 and digitemp_DS9097U in the /usr/bin directory (Ubuntu).

Also, when trying to use digitemp_DS9097U it can't find a usb device despite lsusb showing Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04fa:2490 Dallas Semiconductor DS1490F 2-in-1 Fob, 1-Wire adapter

I feel I'm missing something really basic here!

Koos van den Hout

Aug 28, 2022, 3:24:50 PM8/28/22
to digi...@googlegroups.com
On 8/28/22 01:01, Gerard Hyland wrote:
> Just recovering from a dead Linux system: moved hard drive to new
> hardware, went through the pain of update/upgrade all
> software/drivers/os etc. The system is working except for the Digitemp
> install.  Latest version (uninstalled/re-installed) does not have either
> digitemp symb-linked, or the digitemp_DS2490 exe, with only
> digitemp_DS9097 and digitemp_DS9097U in the /usr/bin directory (Ubuntu).
>
> Also, when trying to use digitemp_DS9097U it can't find a usb device
> despite lsusb showing /Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04fa:2490 Dallas
> Semiconductor DS1490F 2-in-1 Fob, 1-Wire adapter/
>
> I feel I'm missing something really basic here!

Are the drivers for kernel-mode 1-wire support loaded by chance?

I have a /etc/modprobe.d/local-config.conf which has:

blacklist w1_smem
blacklist w1_therm
blacklist ds2490
blacklist wire

to avoid those drivers claiming the USB interface.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout
Visit the site about books with reviews

Gerard Hyland

Aug 29, 2022, 9:59:54 AM8/29/22
to DigiTemp
Thanks Koos,

Have added in that local-config.conf file  &rebooted.  Next question: where is or how do I install the digitemp_DS2490 binary?

Cheers,
Gerard

Koos van den Hout

Aug 30, 2022, 3:35:18 PM8/30/22
to digi...@googlegroups.com
On 8/29/22 03:29, Gerard Hyland wrote:
> Thanks Koos,
>
> Have added in that local-config.conf file  &rebooted.  Next question:
> where is or how do I install the digitemp_DS2490 binary?

My ideas here end. I have the digitemp package from Devuan 3 and this
gives me:

dpkg -l digitemp

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-===================================
ii digitemp 3.7.2-1 amd64 read temperature sensors in
a 1-Wir

dpkg -L digitemp | grep bin
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/digitemp_DS2490
/usr/bin/digitemp_DS9097
/usr/bin/digitemp_DS9097U

So I can't help you on this.
OpenPGP_signature

Gerard Hyland

Aug 31, 2022, 11:47:42 AM8/31/22
to DigiTemp
I posted in the GIT repository https://github.com/bcl/digitemp/issues/34 and got a rather sad result.  In effect, with LibUSB not supported, the current version of Digitemp does not support DS2490 / USB, and the binary is no longer in the package. So it looks like I'm stuffed, unless there's a way of installing an older version and adding the dependancies manually?

Gerard Hyland

Aug 31, 2022, 11:47:46 AM8/31/22
to DigiTemp
[SOLVED]  Found 3.7.1 here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/digitemp/3.7.1-2, copied the tarball, and ran a make on digitemp_DS2490, and by golly it's working!!

Ed Kochanowski

Sep 1, 2022, 12:13:58 PM9/1/22
to digi...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
I first used digitemp a long time ago.  After wanting to expand my temp probes to another part of the house, I started using a Raspberry Pi and connected my one wire stuff directly to its GPIO pins. It's really easy to use being that the one wire stuff is built into the OS.   With some setting up of IOT software on the Raspberry I send my one wire data from any set of one wire devices to any of my computers that I have installed the IOT software on.   Using the small Raspberry PI is much easier to use and expansion of one wire networks is simple.

Just my thoughts!  Have fun!
--Ed