Multiple config branch - usable or ?

Brian Morrison

Jun 6, 2021, 7:05:06 AM6/6/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if the multiple config branch is functional enough for
normal use.

Any thoughts?

--

Brian G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 6, 2021, 1:39:50 PM6/6/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

That branch has actually already been merged into master, so I'd suggest using the latter instead. To use that feature, simply pass the -f command line argument to the freedv binary, for instance:

freedv -f freedv.conf.portable
freedv -f freedv.conf.home-station

https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/blob/master/USER_MANUAL.pdf has a section describing this feature (including where the configurations are stored on a user's system by default if an absolute path's not provided).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 8, 2021, 10:34:26 AM6/8/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 10:39 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi Brian,

That branch has actually already been merged into master, so I'd suggest using the latter instead. To use that feature, simply pass the -f command line argument to the freedv binary, for instance:

freedv -f freedv.conf.portable
freedv -f freedv.conf.home-station

https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/blob/master/USER_MANUAL.pdf has a section describing this feature (including where the configurations are stored on a user's system by default if an absolute path's not provided).

I see, I tried to follow the git commits to work out what had ended up where but I clearly didn't get it right.

Given that I start freedv from a favourites icon which is not easily edited is there any chance that a configuration item could be added to the menu structure? The one in WSJTX is very good and something like that in freedv would be really useful.

Thanks for listening

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 9, 2021, 1:10:48 PM6/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

We'll definitely keep that in mind as a future improvement.

(BTW to everyone with software development experience: please feel free to fork the repository and submit pull requests to add features and fix bugs! We appreciate the contributions and will help make FreeDV a better mode to use. :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 10, 2021, 5:00:57 PM6/10/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2021-06-09 at 10:10 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi Brian,

We'll definitely keep that in mind as a future improvement.

(BTW to everyone with software development experience: please feel free to fork the repository and submit pull requests to add features and fix bugs! We appreciate the contributions and will help make FreeDV a better mode to use. :)

Thanks for your response, I am now looking at the code and trying to work out the simplest way to add a menu entry for config file selection, saving and so on.

It's not going to be quick, but I will see if I can do something useful. Writing some code to deal with the actual guts of config files might follow on from what is there already if I can pick it apart well enough and reuse parts of it.

Not a software engineer so...

--

Brian  G8SEZ