Frequent FreeDV users, what draws you to it?

Mooneer Salem

Mar 1, 2022, 4:33:56 PM3/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As the subject asks, what draws you to FreeDV, exactly? I'd like to get an idea of what qualities are most beneficial so that we can discuss ways to maximize them. :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Matt Jones

Mar 1, 2022, 5:10:00 PM3/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
The theoretical capability.

Having used Codan low rate radios, digital voice delivers a great capability in low snr scenarios. Unfortunately, from my experience, at snrs that deliver average 700d intelligibility, ssb does as well. Until such time that FreeDV exceeds ssb reliably, I don't see it as more than "yet another mode."

If it had SELCAL type features, that would be a bonus. Ring me when I receive a call. It might also be nice if it somehow interfaced with ion2g to deliver multiband ALE style connectivity. (This is just a dream.... I know the complexity.)

I have an SM1000 as well.... it leaves a LOT to be desired. My goal was to pair it with a field radio so that I didn't have to have a pc. Unfortunately, it is just so kludgy that it is easier to use a pc and then have the added capabilities of other non-voice modes.

lu5...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2022, 6:57:19 PM3/1/22
to digitalvoice

Hello Mooneer and group .. Intending your question .. Consider that FDV surrounds SSB in the same conditions .. Both local and in DX .. we have dozens of audios engraved in comparison with the same power and equipment and FDV is always imposed. . Our group has experienced all modes and versions .. We consider a very broad possibility field .. with the aggregate of parameters external equalizers and instantaneous transcriptionists .. We have become a very safe and versatile communication mode ..
The addition of SDR and the use of VAC .. operating a single basic resource computer .. It makes it more than efficient in relation cost benefit .. And if we still add that with a simple click we can pass to transmit images, photos and gif with Easy Pal and chat with FSQ Call .. We have a combo more than interesting .. Fun .. where even everything is for experimenting ..
If something would have to highlight is that the audio quality can improve with the addition of the equalizers. Transcriptors and translators in real time especially for those who do not use anglo speakers or radio-radiohams , with decrease in their auditory function
Thanks Mooner and group for allowing expressing my comment

david

Mar 1, 2022, 8:35:06 PM3/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mooneer,

While I am not a frequent user, I am drawn to work on the project as I
enjoy experimentation.

- David

lu5...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2022, 5:09:30 AM3/2/22
to digitalvoice
Hi Dave .. Thank you very much .. We miss you .. We continue experimenting and using this wonderful program .. Everything is to be done and the possibilities offered are immense .., Thank you very much for letting us belong ..
GOD BLESS ..