Switch "Radio to Computer" source

Barry Theodore

Jun 5, 2023, 7:41:39 PM6/5/23
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer,
I communicate with Jose (LU5DKI) up to 4 times a week. Being in Australia and in a noisy environment I have to use SDRs, which can be anywhere in the world. During these QSOs there are also stations from around Australia which I could communicate with direct but it would take too long to change the input from my Browser (using a Virtual Audio Cable) to direct. Would it be possible to put in a button or buttons to be able to switch the signal input configuration within the FreeDV application?
Regards
Barry VK3BRT

Tony Langdon

Jun 5, 2023, 9:19:54 PM6/5/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Assuming you're using Windows, would using something like Voicemeeter
help? You could have the SDR virtual cable on one Voicemeeter input and
the direct Rx on another, and use Voicemeeter's audio switching to
quickly switch inputs to Voicemeeter. Voicemeeter's output (may require
a second virtual cable) would be fed to FreeDV. No need to switch
inputs in FreeDV at all.

Just an idea.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Barry Theodore

Jun 5, 2023, 11:59:25 PM6/5/23
to digitalvoice
Yes, using Windows. I will have a look at Voicemeeter. I also not that in FreeDV 1.8.10.1 whenever you go in to Audio Config all the settings are lost and you have to put them back in again. This has only happened in the release version and now also in the .1 version?

73 de Barry VK3BRT

Siegfried...@freenet.de

Jun 6, 2023, 2:24:29 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
No need tp put them back.. Once set it works.. Yes boxes are empty.. But if you start the app.. Stop.. And then look in the boxes the settings are back
So serm a bit cosmeric needed (function is ok)
DG9BFC sigi

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/46047a42-f4dd-434c-963e-540c24fde581n%40googlegroups.com.

Siegfried...@freenet.de

Jun 6, 2023, 2:28:17 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I also use voicemeeter (potatoe)
In freedv use direct the mic
In console route mic via mixer..
When using freedv mute analog audio in mixer
Works fine in fullduplex
Dg9bfc sigi
Ps feel free to ask for details

Mooneer Salem

Jun 6, 2023, 4:11:07 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

Voicemeter sounds like it'd work for the time being, but it might be good to allow dynamically loading different configurations without needing to restart the application. I'll make a note of that to consider at some point.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Barry Theodore

Jun 9, 2023, 3:07:44 AM6/9/23
to digitalvoice
I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I have installed Voicemeeter and it works great on Windows 10.

Hardware Input 1: Microphone (4-USB Audio CODEC) from Icom 7300.
Hardware Input 2: Line 1 (Virtual Audio cable) connected to SDR via browser.
Hardware Out: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) to FreeDV "radio to Computer".

You first have to set up the computer audio to make "Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable" the default Playback.

Hope to catch more members on FreeDV.

Thanks again.
Barry VK3BRT

Tony Langdon

Jun 9, 2023, 5:22:43 AM6/9/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear it's worked. Voicemeeter is very handy for complex audio
setups.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/62d32562-350e-4fbe-91d0-7a38e2a3b6e5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/180143e5-2a7d-4fb9-a2e9-f7425eb72c13n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/180143e5-2a7d-4fb9-a2e9-f7425eb72c13n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jose Donnari

Jun 9, 2023, 8:01:08 AM6/9/23
to digitalvoice
excellent work, BARRY. Voice meter works very well. We were able to verify it in our last QSO, where we also included another station from BRAZIL. PY5EJ .
I don't know if I can make it work on my modest PC with WINDOWS 7. but i'll try anyway..
congratulations again BARRY.. the magical station of MELBOURNE .. HI..HI !!!

Barry Theodore

Jun 9, 2023, 10:36:15 PM6/9/23
to digitalvoice
I thought this would be a good time to list some of the SDR's we monitor to conduct our QSO's when there is no direct reception.
(Some of these may be busy with WSPR or FT8 auto run connections).

South America:

USA

New Zealand

Australia
http://59.167.177.246:8073  Ararat (VK3JTM)
http://kiwisdr.areg.org.au:8074  Tarlee South Australia.

We get on 4 nights a week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at around 1100 UTC and can usually conduct a good quality QSO.
I will try to remember to login to FreeDV Reporter and add what SDR's I am currently using just in case someone would like to join in or just listen.

I hope this may help someone.
73's
Barry VK3BRT