FreeDV fails to switch radio to RX after pressing space bar

James Madden

Jun 6, 2023, 6:21:15 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
This worked yesterday, but when I tried it today it failed.
I turned on my IC 7300. I started the FreeDV app on my computer, I pressed the space bar and the radio switched to Tx mode, I called CQ, I then pressed the space bar again, expecting the radio to switch to Rx mode. It didn't. I tried this several times and it failed. I then got an HamLib error message, with no detail about what the error was.

Thoughts?
Jim WD7W

Brian Morrison

Jun 6, 2023, 6:53:51 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Which version of hamlib are you using Jim, and which OS? Windows, or...?

If it's the Windows version of freedv then it will probably have hamlib
built from the currently chosen branch, but it would be useful to know
what your setup is.

--

Brian G8SEZ

James Madden

Jun 6, 2023, 7:19:18 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I've just discovered that various digital ham programs that worked yesterday, are not working today, I assume the problem with FreeDV I am having is not related to FreeDV, but something else. I'll try to troubleshoot this before I worry about FreeDV.
Jim WD7W

James Madden

Jun 6, 2023, 7:28:59 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
ok, I've fixed all the digital communication to my radio and now FreeDV is working properly, sorry for the call to everyone. I should know better to try myself first. The solution was to unplug and then plug back in the USB cable between my radio and my computer. I thought that kind of thing was far into our past. I guess I was wrong.
Jim - WD7W

Brian Morrison

Jun 6, 2023, 8:11:47 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 04:28:44 -0700
James Madden <technolo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ok, I've fixed all the digital communication to my radio and now
> FreeDV is working properly, sorry for the call to everyone. I should
> know better to try myself first. The solution was to unplug and then
> plug back in the USB cable between my radio and my computer. I
> thought that kind of thing was far into our past. I guess I was wrong.

If you are using Windows Jim, it would make sense to check that the USB
port you have your radio connected to has had its power saving setting
disabled, on Windows this is found in Device Manager.

--

Brian G8SEZ

James Madden

Jun 6, 2023, 8:18:07 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I checked and the usb power savings was turned on. I turned it off. Odd that this had worked for more than a year without making a change to this. Ah well.
Jim WD7W

Brian Morrison

Jun 6, 2023, 8:38:33 AM6/6/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 05:17:51 -0700
James Madden <technolo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked and the usb power savings was turned on. I turned it off.
> Odd that this had worked for more than a year without making a change
> to this. Ah well.

Sounds like you have discovered the source of your occasional problems,
so that's good. I hope this is the only fix needed.

--

Brian G8SEZ