FreeDV First time problems

Alejandro Alvarez

Aug 24, 2021, 9:50:25 PMAug 24
to digitalvoice
Good evening, I'm trying to get started with FreeDV and after installing the program and two sound cards, one onboard and the other USB, when pressing the Start button, a permanent 1000 Hz tone appears on the speaker. I have changed the functions of the two audio cards and the problem persists. I have installed 1.5.3 and 1.6.0 versions  with the same problem. There are no audio driver problems or hardware conflicts.
 I Used Windows 10  version 20H2; intel Mother board I5, audio onboard and Encore USB audio device.
Could not decode test WAVs via program playback. I think it is due to low audio level. But the WAV played from another device can be decoded via a nearby microphone over the air. ( modem sync and go to green letters and audio its OK on speaker)

The main problem is then the strong and permanent 1000 Hz audio tone in the speaker.
 Can anyone help with this problem?

thanks in advance.

Alejandro LU8YD

wal...@k5wh.net

Aug 24, 2021, 11:20:51 PMAug 24
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Alejandro,

It sounds like the audio mapping may not be completely correct then.

What kind of radio are you using for this?

Most of the newer radios have some type of usb or virtual audio cable that needs to be mapped to the FreeDV client audio settings.

This can get a little confusing if you have too many choices to pick from.

But the basic thing that’s important, is knowing which audio ports are for the Analog side and which ones are for the Digital side.

If your not able to work that out, please get in touch with me tomorrow, and we can get into a Zoom session and walk through it very easily.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Cess

Aug 25, 2021, 5:52:57 AMAug 25
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alejandro

Go to the PTT in tools and make certain that the  box in PTT settings is not ticked in  “left channel Vox Tone”  as this will give a continues 1 Kc tone.

Regards Cess GW3OAJ

Sent from Mail for Windows