Introducing ezDV

Mooneer Salem

Jun 29, 2022, 3:38:49 AM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been working on my own embedded solution for FreeDV since just before Dayton (and in fact, had an earlier version of the board at the TAPR booth!) For those unfamiliar, ezDV is currently a carrier board based on the ESP32S3 (specifically the nanoESP32-S3 developer board) and Texas Instruments TLV320 audio codec. Interfacing to the radio and your headset (or speaker/mic) is done via 2x 3.5mm TRRS jacks, with the latter wired similarly to the Android standard:

IMG_20220629_003608.jpg

More information is available on the GitHub repository, including schematics and firmware: https://github.com/tmiw/ezDV. As of now, the firmware and board are at the point where it can be used on the air. Some stuff that's pending include:

* A new version of the PCB that has the ESP32S3 module built in (vs. needing the nanoESP32-S3).
* Some sort of enclosure (3D printed?)
* Icom RX/TX over Wi-Fi (basic code to support it is there but needs more testing and refinement).
* Web interface for more complex configuration.
* Cost optimization of the hardware (JLCPCB's assembly service costs more than expected due to the use of many "extended" parts that involve additional fees).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or comments :) Also, feel free to submit pull requests as well with improvements.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Jun 29, 2022, 9:03:02 AM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Mooneer,

Looks plenty interesting, and I really like the idea of another solution for FreeDV access.

Is there a provision for changing modes?

And/or, can it support multiple modes?

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Bruce Perens

Jun 29, 2022, 9:17:29 AM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
This is obviously very similar to the $14 board I am using, see https://github.com/BrucePerens/rigcontrol, but the ESP32-D0WD in the AI Thinker ESP32+Codec module doesn't have the vector instructions and thus does the dot-product operation at half the speed of the ESP32-S3.

Mooner's board should be able to run my rig controller code, and Dana's 1200 Baud TNC (https://github.com/danak6jq/ESP-TNC) just with modifications for the TI codec chip.

I'll ask AI Thinker if they care to make their module with the S3 chip. I've just had another 100 of the ESP32 Audio Kit boards arrive from them, and will put them up on Amazon for about $20. Folks called "Taidacent" are selling that board on Amazon for $36 right now.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP

Mooneer Salem

Jun 29, 2022, 1:26:05 PM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

ezDV supports the same modes as the SM1000 (700D, 700E, 1600). The "mode" button on the left hand side will cycle between those and analog audio passthrough (with confirmation given via CW). Unfortunately there's still no multiple RX support given the relatively low specs of the ESP32S3.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 29, 2022, 1:31:36 PM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

There might actually be a fair bit of leeway for receive still. I did timings a bit ago and I was getting something like 60-70ms per 160ms block to decode 700D (with both __EMBEDDED__ and __REAL__ defined in libcodec2). TX needed significantly more time at around ~100ms for 160ms of analog audio (with BPF off; BPF added another ~40ms but there's a PR at https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/pull/326 to hopefully cut that down significantly).

That all said, I haven't done any testing on the original ESP32 or ESP32S2 to know for sure, so that might be a future project for me or someone else :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Jun 29, 2022, 3:50:33 PM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Sounds really nice Mooneer.

So with the Bluetooth capability, I should be able to link it to my car’s audio system, like I do for DMR today, and not even need to have a headset while I’m driving. 😊

That would certainly be a greater and much safer way to use while traveling across the country like I just did recently.

This is sounding better all the time.

image001.jpg

Mooneer Salem

Jun 29, 2022, 3:53:27 PM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

Unfortunately the ESP32-S3's Bluetooth is only BLE, so it won't be able to be connected to a car's audio system. However, if it turns out that FreeDV is viable on the original ESP32, then Bluetooth headsets would indeed be possible.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Matt Jones

Jun 29, 2022, 3:58:04 PM6/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I'm certainly interested in real BT functionality as well.

Matt AL0R

Bruce Perens

Jun 30, 2022, 5:02:43 AM6/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
The $14 board (https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=ESP32%25252dAudio%25252dKit) can support Bluetooth Classic A2DP streams.

--
Bruce Perens K6BP

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)

Jun 30, 2022, 2:45:12 PM6/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Dearest Mooneer,

Thank-you for your email and certainly a very worthy effort made by you.

I would ask though that you DO NOT send images via email but rather give
those interested in seeing the picture of the board, a link to follow to
the image. possibly hosted on github or other.

Much appreciated for the work you are doing,

73 de ZR1HPC
Hylton

On 2022/06/29 09:38, Mooneer Salem wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on my own embedded solution for FreeDV since just
> before Dayton (and in fact, had an earlier version of the board at the
> TAPR booth!) For those unfamiliar, ezDV is currently a carrier board
> based on the ESP32S3 (specifically the nanoESP32-S3 developer board)
> and Texas Instruments TLV320 audio codec. Interfacing to the radio and
> your headset (or speaker/mic) is done via 2x 3.5mm TRRS jacks, with
> the latter wired similarly to the Android standard:>
> IMAGE
>

> More information is available on the GitHub repository, including
> schematics and firmware: https://github.com/tmiw/ezDV. As of now, the
> firmware and board are at the point where it can be used on the air.
> Some stuff that's pending include:
>
> * A new version of the PCB that has the ESP32S3 module built in (vs.
> needing the nanoESP32-S3).
> * Some sort of enclosure (3D printed?)
> * Icom RX/TX over Wi-Fi (basic code to support it is there but needs
> more testing and refinement).
> * Web interface for more complex configuration.
> * Cost optimization of the hardware (JLCPCB's assembly service costs
> more than expected due to the use of many "extended" parts that
> involve additional fees).
>
> Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or comments :) Also,
> feel free to submit pull requests as well with improvements.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Mooneer K6AQ
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxNFEVRCoQg6_agCkY6xVmqzstngBURFFTTaEX%3DPwbhHQQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxNFEVRCoQg6_agCkY6xVmqzstngBURFFTTaEX%3DPwbhHQQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mooneer Salem

Jun 30, 2022, 10:58:43 PM6/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hylton,

Fair enough. I've uploaded the image in the original email to https://imgur.com/a/GvNUMxG in case it didn't make it to anyone else.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Al Beard

Jul 7, 2022, 11:09:59 PM7/7/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mooneer,

Features:

Can the unit be programmed to send the "Txt Msg" with a callsign and use a GPIO input
to add a "trigger" for "freebeacon"?

Alan VK2ZIW

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:58:28 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxNC1LWqz%3DT8vgvGQMsWF2oCHvqFRn%2Bg4Z7JTeyN9YyNFA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.

Mooneer Salem

Jul 8, 2022, 1:03:29 AM7/8/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Not currently but as ESP32 does have 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi capability, being able to configure one's callsign using a Web interface is definitely possible. Help on that front would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

KT4WO

Dec 29, 2022, 9:41:43 AM12/29/22
to digitalvoice
Somehow I missed this post 6 months ago. Saw it on Hack-A-Day this morn.
Any chance there is a pre-built board for this???

Trip - KT4WO

Buddy Brannan

Dec 29, 2022, 12:30:32 PM12/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering the same, actually, as I’d be interested in this but my build/soldering skills are, umm…well…they aren’t. LOL, blind ham, never learned, much to my regret. I recall that Mooneer was doing some other improvements or wanted to, but then haven’t heard anything since.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV, WRVB670 - Erie, PA
Email: bu...@brannan.name
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/9dbfee76-a181-40fd-944e-58170b70e697n%40googlegroups.com.

Mooneer Salem

Dec 29, 2022, 2:41:16 PM12/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Hardware-wise, I'd say it's pretty close now. I recently got v0.5 boards in from JLCPCB and have been using one portable with my IC-705 with no issues. I did notice a few issues around high sleep power consumption that were substantially improved by desoldering R17 and doing some firmware changes; I'll probably change out the LDO (currently a TLV1117LV) for something with lower quiescent current* to further improve this. There's also a weird noise issue when I have my multimeter inline with my linear power supply for current measurements, but considering it doesn't show up when on battery and without a multimeter, it might not be an issue that needs fixing right now.

Speaking of firmware, a lot of the recent work has been there. There's currently a Web interface for settings changes (screenshots in the project README: https://github.com/tmiw/ezDV/blob/main/README.md), mainly for configuring your callsign (so others can report you to PSK Reporter) as well as Wi-Fi/IC-705 settings. I'm thinking of also adding a setting to control the LED brightness as they're crazy bright at 100% duty cycle :) There are likely other bugs lurking as well as improvements that can be made.

As for pre-built boards, there's nothing currently for sale. The primary reason is that I'm fairly sure that ezDV would need to go through at least some level of FCC/CE testing despite using a pre-certified ESP32-S3 module. While I haven't noticed any noise issues from ezDV (either using my limited test setup at home or in the IC-705 waterfall when portable), it would still involve potentially significant costs despite potentially less testing being required. (It's very possible I'm misunderstanding the FCC rules, however, as IANAL. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.) I'd also prefer someone else with formal EE training to evaluate the schematic/PCB design to make sure I didn't miss something before I'd be comfortable accepting money.

That all said, the BOM is built into the KiCad files on the GitHub repository and can be converted into a form JLCPCB will accept (https://support.jlcpcb.com/article/84-how-to-generate-the-bom-and-centroid-file-from-kicad). This plus submitting the Gerber files will get you boards with all the SMD parts pre-soldered, leaving just the battery and 3.5mm jacks (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/490-SJ-43514) that will need to be soldered. Keep in mind that JLCPCB has a 5 board minimum if you want to go this route.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

* I'm currently deciding between the RT9080-33GJ5 (https://www.richtek.com/assets/product_file/RT9080/DS9080-05.pdf) and NCP167 (https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/ncp167-d.pdf). The latter seems to have better noise/PSRR figures, which may be good considering that 2.4 GHz and audio stuff is involved. On the other hand, it has slightly higher quiescent current than the RT9080, though how much this matters is debatable given that the ~50 uA ezDV already does when sleeping still gives you an estimated ~4 years before a 2000 mAh battery dies. If you have experience with either part (especially with the ESP32), I'd also appreciate feedback. :)

August Treubig

Dec 29, 2022, 11:42:16 PM12/29/22
to digitalvoice
Ok, what is the cost for 5 boards from JLCPCB?  About?

Aug
AG5AT

Mel Whitten

Dec 29, 2022, 11:59:12 PM12/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

...just a few dollars is all I ever paid.

Mel, K0PFX

Dec 30, 2022, 12:30:57 AM12/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
The boards themselves are inexpensive, it's the PCB assembly service where most of the cost is. The last order I put in was around $150 plus shipping (using DHL).

-Mooneer K6AQ

Siegfried...@freenet.de

Dec 30, 2022, 9:33:54 AM12/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
That would be 30 per board roughly??
Thats good for adding freedv to a nornal analog rig :-)
Dg9bfc sigi

Mooneer Salem

Dec 30, 2022, 5:59:39 PM12/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Keep in mind that the cost per board could very well go down significantly depending on the number purchased. A fair amount of that cost I stated were various setup, etc. fees.

-Mooneer K6AQ

August Treubig

Jan 1, 2023, 2:15:09 PM1/1/23
to digitalvoice
John Hayes ,
Perhaps you could guide Mooneer on what is necessary or not for him to do a “kit” for ezDV from an FCC or whatever point of view that he is concerned about.
Mooneer, other folk to talk to would be George N2APB,  Milt W8NUE, as they have built a variety of kits over the last 20 years.

Aug
AG5AT

Mooneer Salem

Jan 1, 2023, 3:28:57 PM1/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Aug, for people to talk to. :)

BTW I found https://www.commlawblog.com/2012/04/articles/enforcement-activities-fines-forfeitures-etc/fcc-settles-with-individual-for-selling-assembled-kits/ on a quick search. The ESP32 module itself already has a FCC ID, though, not to mention that with the current ezDV board, you'll need to solder two 3.5mm jacks and the battery (so maybe 98% complete instead of 100% given that nearly everything else is SMD instead of thru-hole).

-Mooneer K6AQ