Current versions?

Brian Morrison

May 10, 2021, 3:59:45 PM5/10/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Is there a good explanation of what versions of the the freedv
libraries/applications are current together with the current version of
the freedv-gui code?

I think I'm correct in saying that codec2 is currently at v0.9.2 but
the freedv-gui seems to have a release of v1.4 at github but it shows
up as v1.4.1 on my Fedora 34 machine and also I see non-Linux
installers for v1.5.3 showing up at freedv.org so it's all a little
confusing as to what has been built and by whom.

Thanks for any info.

--

Brian G8SEZ

David Rowe

May 10, 2021, 5:56:45 PM5/10/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

We tend to keep the version number for freedv-gui/master up to date,
it's stored in:

  freedv-gui/CMakeLists.txt

I currently 1.5.3 see in that file, which matches the releases on freedv.org

Good point, we haven't bumped the version number of codec2 for a while.
We build freedv-gui releases against codec2/master. During development,
we tend to use the Git hashes for all software components which are
displayed in the freedv-gui Help-About screen.

The authors of Codec 2 and FreeDV don't have much control over what
version of the code is provided in the various distros, so that will vary.

We recommend building from freedv-gui/master using the build_linux.sh
script, which grabs all the right versions.

- David

Brian Morrison

May 10, 2021, 6:25:57 PM5/10/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2021-05-11 at 07:26 +0930, David Rowe wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> We tend to keep the version number for freedv-gui/master up to date,
> it's stored in:
>
>    freedv-gui/CMakeLists.txt
>
> I currently 1.5.3 see in that file, which matches the releases on
> freedv.org

OK, that makes sense.

> Good point, we haven't bumped the version number of codec2 for a
> while.

Does it need bumping? I'm not sure how the development process has been
going, but the Fedora freedv-1.4.1 version shows 6 modes from 2400 down
to 700bps, the codec2 libraries are packaged separately but I assume
that this mode list depends on those. I didn't look at the Windows
version mode list, I think all of the libraries are included in the one
installer.

> We build freedv-gui releases against codec2/master. During
> development,
> we tend to use the Git hashes for all software components which are
> displayed in the freedv-gui Help-About screen.

OK, well the version that comes with the current Fedora packages shows
"None" for that. I suspect that a few things in the build process are
not quite hanging together in that regard.

> The authors of Codec 2 and FreeDV don't have much control over what
> version of the code is provided in the various distros, so that will
> vary.

I notice that there is only one release version at the github project
page, if there were an easily downloaded tarball there for each
'official' release version it would probably help packagers in keeping
track. I see that various pull requests have landed recently so perhaps
an updated version will arrive soon.

> We recommend building from freedv-gui/master using the build_linux.sh
> script, which grabs all the right versions.

I will have a look at that, but I will also give Richard KF5OIM a nudge
to see if he has time to update the Fedora repos.

I'm in the process of getting set up for DV on HF using the codec2
modes so I was looking to see what was going on and the packaged stuff
is relatively old for Fedora which is why I was asking these questions.
Didn't want to be behind the curve from the off.

--

Brian G8SEZ