[Announcement] FreeDV Activity Day - November 6-7, 2021

Mooneer Salem

Sep 29, 2021, 2:38:13 PM9/29/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi all,

On Saturday, November 6th, 2021, we'll be having our first FreeDV Activity Day! This event will bring together people interested in HF digital voice on the air for conversation and fun. Contacts using the official application as well as the SM1000 handheld microphone are welcome.

Event time: 9AM Pacific time (1600Z) on November 6th to 8:59AM (1559Z) on November 7th (24 hours)
Suggested frequencies:
80 meters: 3.625, 3.643 or 3.693 MHz
40 meters: 7.177 MHz
20 meters: 14.236 MHz
17 meters: 18.118 MHz
15 meters: 21.313 MHz
12 meters: 24.933 MHz
10 meters: 28.330 or 28.720 MHz

(Note that LSB/DIGL is used below 10MHz as per current convention for voice modes, USB/DIGU otherwise.)

As this isn't a contest, there's no pressure to make contacts or send logs, but you can always confirm QSOs via the usual means if you'd like (LoTW, eQSL, QRZ, etc.) Enabling PSK Reporter in the FreeDV application and joining the QSO Finder are recommended, however, so others can see that you're on the air and hearing them (for instance, here's the current map of listeners). :D

Feel free to spread this far and wide among your local ham friends and groups! :) Let me know if you have any questions about the event and definitely post here if you have issues getting the application working prior to the event.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Oct 30, 2021, 10:26:43 PM10/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi all,

Just a reminder that FreeDV Activity Day will be happening next weekend :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

lu5...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2021, 8:09:59 PM10/31/21
to digitalvoice
great ...!!!!there we will be in 20 meters, 14 236 kc
73 ...

M JB

Nov 1, 2021, 5:49:17 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi, what mode is being used for this, it needs specifying.
Thanks

From Phone excuse speelling...

Nov 1, 2021, 7:25:31 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

M JB

Nov 1, 2021, 10:46:59 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt, yes obviously but from recollection there are about 5 operating mode options that can be selected. I'm not able to go and see exactly what they are as I'm currently in hospital. They are something like "700, 1000, 600 " etc.  if you are not on the correct operating mode it won't work.

Thanks, sent from my hospital bed, Malc.

From Phone excuse speelling...

Nov 1, 2021, 10:54:24 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
700D is the standard, though it is a moot point - If you are running the current version, then multi-decode is enabled, so you can hear whomever is transmittting. If your link quality is good enough, then give 1600 or 2020 a go.

I see where you are coming from if you are a new user, no where is it called out explicitly that 700D is the defacto mode.

Matt

M JB

Nov 1, 2021, 11:05:17 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt, I was just about to send this when I saw your latest email, FreeDV is complicated enough and not knowing or specifying what mode will be used just makes it worse.
We need the organiser to clearly spell out what should be used as default. I've played with it for over a year, I know very little about this new automatic selecting mode, a newbie would be completely lost, you would need to read every email sent about it to keep up to date, there are hundreds....

Thanks
Malcolm G6CTX

From Phone excuse speelling...

Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 2:54:14 PM
Screenshot_20211101-145348_Chrome.jpg

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 1, 2021, 11:13:39 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

For the mode of operation, there are several to pick from, since the software has evolved greatly over several years.

As of today, the majority of us use 700D. But we encourage everyone to give the 2020 mode a try, if your computer can handle it, as some machines can’t with that mode.

700D works the best for operating down to a -2snr, where the other modes only go down to 0snr or so.

So depending on your band conditions, you may find the better audio quality of 2020 to sound a bit more natural.

It’s worth mentioning, that if your on the latest 1.6.1 version, and go into the Tools, Options, Modem, area, you can select the choice for “Simultaneous Decode All HF Modes “ and whatever mode you receive, it will come through decoded. And on the left had side, it will show you what mode is detected. Regardless of what mode your set for, to transmit back on.

We have been using the 1600 mode when working through the leo satellites, since it has the sync carrier, and a little more forgiving on frequency, as it helps with a little doppler drift.

But most important, if your on the QSO finder, you can let people know what band, and mode your using, as well as where you are so the beams can swing around, find a frequency, and make contacts.

I look forward to seeing a LOT of activity next weekend.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 1, 2021, 11:15:23 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I just replied to a previous message, that I hope adds some clarity to the very question you’re asking about.

Cheers,

Walter/K5WH

M JB

Nov 1, 2021, 11:36:24 AM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hello Walter,

Thanks for the Info, exactly what was needed. I tried FreeDV for many months off and on, never got anything, that was about a year ago so basically gave up, it sounds like some big strides have happened more recently and armed with your info it is certainly worth me loading the latest software and giving it another try... now where did I put those headphones.   ha-ha...
Many thanks
Malc  G6CTX

From Phone excuse speelling...

Nov 1, 2021, 12:49:38 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Good show..

And of course, if you should need any help with the configuration, just give a yell on the QSO finder, and we can get on a Zoom session to hammer out the details if needed.

Do you participate in the daily net there in the UK on 75 meters?  I know there are several there at 4pm local time each day, as I understand.

Walter/K5WH

M JB

Nov 1, 2021, 1:23:53 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi, when you say net, do you mean using FreeDV or just our standard net. I have joined in our standard net occasionally.
I believe there is an early morning weekend one using FreecDv but I never could receive it.
When I can I will get the latest software and try out b4 the Nov activity day, I Will ask for help on here if it all goes pear  shaped...   Cheers Malcolm. G6CTX
Tnks
Malc. G6CTX

From Phone excuse speelling...

Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 4:49:32 PM

Mooneer Salem

Nov 1, 2021, 1:50:14 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Yep, the early morning (Sunday?) one conducted with FreeDV.

Anyway, the latest release is 1.6.1, which is over at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/releases/tag/v1.6.1. There are Windows and Mac binaries as well as a tarball if you prefer to compile the source code yourself. Hope that helps!

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 1, 2021, 2:04:00 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

As I understand it, there is a daily FreeDV net. Only on FreeDV.

Mooneer Salem

Nov 1, 2021, 2:06:47 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Good to know, thanks! So the Sunday net I was thinking of is a different thing?

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 1, 2021, 2:13:03 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I guess I’m not familiar with the Sunday net.

Mark-GW0POA is the one that told me about the daily net, as he participates in it from time to time.

I need to fire up the WebSDR receiver over there. 😊

Walter/K5WH

Brian Morrison

Nov 1, 2021, 4:44:00 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:23:48 +0000
M JB <malc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, when you say net, do you mean using FreeDV or just our standard net. I have joined in our standard net occasionally.
> I believe there is an early morning weekend one using FreecDv but I never could receive it.

There is a GB2RS news broadcast every week using FreedDV at 9am local
time on Sunday, it comes from Bures in Suffolk on 3643kHz. Mode is 700D
although sometimes 700E is tested. G6WPJ is the newsreader, he usually
uses a power amplifier so is a bit stronger for the news.

Daily nets at 4pm local time on 3693kHz are there most days, usually
the main activity is from South Wales with a few other stations around
the southern UK active on occasion.

HTH.

--

Brian G8SEZ

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 1, 2021, 5:44:54 PM11/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Great information. Thanks for the update Brian..

Walter/K5WH

Nov 6, 2021, 4:53:30 PM11/6/21
to digitalvoice
I listened off and on during the day, and was able to copy a few stations (sort of).

I heard n4dv on 20m with a lot of fading in and out.

I was able to hear wn3i and w0eg on 40m pretty clearly if I rotated the loop appropriately.

Unfortunately, that was all I was able to hear.

looking at PSK reporter is shows that I was copied by k5wh & w5hrh on 20m,  but IDK if a person heard me or just a computer recognized my calling cq.

Anthony - N1IG

Mooneer Salem

Nov 6, 2021, 5:03:10 PM11/6/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Good to hear that you were able to pick people up! 40 meters here only really reaches northern California and the immediately surrounding states, but I may try that later today or tonight.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Nov 7, 2021, 4:51:59 PM11/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Well, it looks like Activity Day was a pretty good success. Here's what PSK Reporter looked like at 11pm Pacific last night:

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.22.11 PM.png

Also, there were enough people logged into the QSO Finder that some of the bottom UI elements were being pushed to the right. It's definitely the most number of people on the QSO Finder I've ever seen:

image.png

How did it go for everyone else? And is there interest in doing this again?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mel Whitten

Nov 7, 2021, 5:57:44 PM11/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I thought it went well except for some SSB QRM, however that was to be expected.

Perhaps, next Activity Day could be announced in the ARRL Letter under “Announcements.”  I see Rick does it for FT8.  😊  Or maybe under its own title.

Well, it looks like Activity Day was a pretty good success. Here's what PSK Reporter looked like at 11pm Pacific last night:

Also, there were enough people logged into the QSO Finder that some of the bottom UI elements were being pushed to the right. It's definitely the most number of people on the QSO Finder I've ever seen:

image001.jpg
image003.png
image005.png

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 7, 2021, 6:06:48 PM11/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I would say it was an outstanding success indeed.

Thanks so much for pulling this together.

For me, I think it would be well worth doing at least once per quarter, and if we continue to see the participation levels like we saw with this event, perhaps even more frequent than that.

A couple take-aways for me, were that we had upwards of 40 stations in the QSO finder at it’s peak.

Multiple countries beyond the USA were active, like Germany, Switzerland, UK, Japan, South America, and Canada, to name a few.

Several stations were active on 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 40m, and 75m. Using multiple modes like 1600, 700c, 700d, 700e, and 2020.

Another great example of creativity, were that W4BCX-Ray and W3FGP-Maurice had a successful contact on the RS-44 satellite using FreeDV on 700D mode.

It was really great to see so many stations burning up the bands, and I for one, can’t wait to do it again.

For everyone, don’t forget, that many of us are active on FreeDV every day of the week, so feel free to drop in anytime and call CQ for plenty of responses to be had.

Thanks again Mooneer,

Walter/K5WH

Well, it looks like Activity Day was a pretty good success. Here's what PSK Reporter looked like at 11pm Pacific last night:

Also, there were enough people logged into the QSO Finder that some of the bottom UI elements were being pushed to the right. It's definitely the most number of people on the QSO Finder I've ever seen:

image005.png
image006.png

Mooneer Salem

Nov 7, 2021, 7:04:46 PM11/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I'm down with quarterly.

BTW, there are 163 active JS8Call monitors at the moment on PSK Reporter. Based on that, I think if there's consistent growth we may be able to bump it up to monthly :)

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Dec 11, 2021, 1:41:56 PM12/11/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What are your thoughts about having the next Activity Day on February 19, 2022? This seems to avoid Hamcation as well as a few SSB contests on the weekend of the 26th.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Dec 11, 2021, 1:52:48 PM12/11/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
image001.png
image002.png

Dudley Hurry

Dec 11, 2021, 2:26:49 PM12/11/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me also, already created a calendar entry

73,
Dudley
WA5QPZ

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2021, at 12:52 PM, wal...@k5wh.net wrote:

<image001.png>

Also, there were enough people logged into the QSO Finder that some of the bottom UI elements were being pushed to the right. It's definitely the most number of people on the QSO Finder I've ever seen:

<image002.png>