Starting an organization for FreeDV/Codec2 development

Mooneer Salem

Feb 20, 2022, 5:07:19 PM2/20/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi all,

Over the past year or so, there have been several occasions where it would have been beneficial to have had an official organization steering FreeDV and Codec2 development. For instance, the ARDC does not currently offer grants to individuals, not to mention the recent discussion about Windows Defender and what it would take to get FreeDV "trusted" by Microsoft. I'd like to brainstorm what such an organization would look like.

First off, what would the mission of such an organization be? This seems obvious at first glance ("promote the use of open source digital voice modes on amateur radio"), but what would that entail exactly? A few potential things off the top of my head:

* SM1000 replacement (faster hardware to support other FreeDV modes, Wi-Fi support for radios such as the IC-705, etc.)
* General software process improvements (code signing of binaries, hosted Debian/Fedora/etc. package repos, etc.)
* General advocacy (e.g. presence at more ham radio related events, Zoom/etc. presentations about HF digital voice)
* Offering grants to individual developers to develop Codec2 and FreeDV further (e.g. fixed-point ports, improved/more modes, etc.)

On first thought, it seems that a non-profit/501(c)3 structure would be most appropriate given the mission of such a potential organization and its dedication to open source, but I'm wondering if some other structure would fit better. Another possibility is structuring it more like a membership club (IIRC there was a digital voice club back in the FDMDV days but I forget offhand what it was).

Anyway, if you have any suggestions or comments, they would be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

David Grove

Feb 20, 2022, 5:30:32 PM2/20/22
to freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net, digita...@googlegroups.com, moo...@gmail.com

Hi Mooneer

An excellent suggestion

I agree with the concept and suggest that the mission be extended further to something like

"promote the use of open source digital voice and data modes on commercial and amateur radio and encourage the development of resilient communication modes for adverse conditions"

This would give plenty of scope for the advancement of the technology way into the future

I agree with your key points, recognising that other participants may suggest others

Regards

David Grove – VK2DWG

John D. Hays

Feb 20, 2022, 6:20:03 PM2/20/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mooneer,

Even though ARDC does not give grants to individuals, an individual
could find a qualified fiscal sponsor (a 501(c)(3)/educational
institution/government entity) to receive funds on their behalf. ARDC
allows up to 20% on top of the grant budget for indirect expenses
which could be used to help fund the fiscal sponsor's costs for
administering the grant.

Having a dedicated 501(c)(3) is a great idea, but takes time to set up.
--

John Hays - K7VE
Outreach Manager

wal...@k5wh.net

Feb 22, 2022, 2:49:13 PM2/22/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like a great way to get some traction on the efforts necessary to take things to the next level.

As always, you know you have my support in anything needed for this.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Bruce Perens

Feb 22, 2022, 3:55:42 PM2/22/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I have founded two such organizations so far, Software in the Public Interest, and Open Research Institute. I paid about $3500 for an outside organization to do the 501(C)3 for ORI.

Unfortunately, I do not currently recommend ORI as a sponsor, as the current CEO is having relationship issues with ARDC. For the record, I get along with ARDC just fine and am not part of this issue and am wondering if I have to form yet another organization because of this.

Software Freedom Conservancy has received their own ARDC grant and might be a good choice.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP

Mooneer Salem

Feb 23, 2022, 2:33:30 AM2/23/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi all,

From what I've gathered via your feedback, it seems that partnering with another organization (such as SFC or SPI) will definitely be the easier route compared to starting an 501(c)3 from scratch. There also doesn't seem to be anything precluding the project from spinning off later if/when it becomes big enough to be worthwhile. I will definitely take a look at the various sponsorship organizations in closer detail and see what results from that.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Bruce Perens

Feb 23, 2022, 2:32:30 PM2/23/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Perens via Freetel-codec2
Strongly agreed. I am hoping that one of those organizations will be agreeable to serving as a largely-hands-off and non-opinionated facilitator to Amateur Radio projects with little more than insistence on Open Source and an ability to receive funds and dispense checks. It may actually help that they aren't, for the most part, hams.

ARDC is a unique opportunity for the advancement of Amateur Radio, and although they are trying really hard, I don't think we can count on it lasting forever. They are essentially working on the interest of a base USD$135M investment but IRS rules may force them to erode that base.

In the face of this absolute miracle, I have now seen _two_ Amateur Radio non-profits both render themselves practically ineligible for further funding of their own or their hosted projects. It's easy for a non-profit board to be mercurial or for personal relationships to get in the way of organizational goals. I am hoping that a non-Amateur organization will not involve themselves enough in the community to fall into this pitfall.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP

Bob Morris

Feb 25, 2022, 8:49:45 PM2/25/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Perens via Freetel-codec2
FWIW,

The Amateur Radio Digital Communications Foundation (ARDC)
offers grant funding for projects that meet at least one of the
following criteria:
1.      support and growth of amateur radio
2.      education
3.      research and development

There is no prescribed upper limit on grant awards, but organizations
wishing to apply must meet certain criteria. Please visit the ARDC
website, www.ampr.org for more details.

KT4WO

Feb 26, 2022, 4:49:12 AM2/26/22
to digitalvoice
My fear,
Politics or egos almost always get in the way of the project
when you have a formal org.
Or a board member ends up being a axe murderer.......RS

KT4WO

Bruce Perens

Feb 26, 2022, 9:15:03 PM2/26/22
to digitalvoice
Yes politics is definitely a problem. And the ax murderer thing would be funny if we had not actually had one on the Linux kernel team.

KT4WO

Feb 27, 2022, 5:06:29 AM2/27/22
to digitalvoice
"the ax murderer thing"
Went to school with one.  We always knew he was not "right",
but didn't see that coming.
KT4WO

BTW-- Any of y'all following the FreeDATA project?(uses codec2)  The alpha is working
pretty well. Have it running on 10.140.5 USB.

Bruce Perens

Apr 1, 2022, 9:38:46 PM4/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
After all of our discussion about starting a non-profit, I have decided to start one anyway. This isn't a FreeDV project activity. The triggering event was needing an organization with $1M insurance to operate a booth at Hamvention, but the requirements are similar elsewhere. The mission of the new organization is to facilitate Open Source development for Amateur Radio by collecting funds and providing a corporation for where that is necessary. The short term goals are:

1. Be an ARRL affiliated club, which gets us USD$1M insurance for things like operating a table at events.
2. Don't make the tax mistake we made with ORI, which made the organization unable to receive further grants after their first, so they are pretty useless for funding anything. This is going to require that we solicit for and receive individual donations, because IRS wants to see a diversity of donation sources for a 501(c)3 to remain approved.
3. Get projects funding and show at events like Hamvention.

501(c)3 formation is being paid for out of my pocket.

To do this, I need two directors, other than me, on the board. Directors participate in an email discussion where a vote is actually necessary, and an annual teleconference because you're supposed to have your board meet once a year. It shouldn't be a significant load on your time.

So, I am looking for volunteers.

    Thanks

    Bruce

Graham Bryce

Apr 1, 2022, 10:36:40 PM4/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to get involved, if you're interested in having non-US participants.

Best wishes,

Graham Bryce
G7LGI
(London, UK)

Bruce Perens

Apr 1, 2022, 11:05:02 PM4/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Graham,

Thanks! I think I can. I need your address, and contact information, and the "county" you live in, although they might call it something else over there.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP

Graham Bryce

Apr 1, 2022, 11:15:29 PM4/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
No problem -
Postal Address:
159 Leicester Road
(Postal town) Barnet
(UK County) Hertfordshire
(UK Post-Code/ZIP) EN5 5EB
Landline: +44 208 3337232

Best wishes,

Graham

Walter Dilley

Apr 1, 2022, 11:40:59 PM4/1/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bruce,

I volunteer to be a director.
Walter Dilley, kd7dny
2249 W Cabana Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202
Maricopa county.

Garmt Klinkenberg

Apr 6, 2022, 5:21:17 PM4/6/22
to digitalvoice
Besides the boardmembers, do you need other (organisation)support? I will like to help you.
73 Garmt, pa0vly

Bruce Perens

Apr 6, 2022, 11:11:27 PM4/6/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
We will need members! And we have a table at Hamvention. So far, outside, but I might be able to fix that. I'm sorry to not have had more to say, Valerie and I are on vacation all week. More soon!

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP