Calling frequencies

Alan N7AKG

Apr 30, 2021, 11:09:03 AM4/30/21
to digitalvoice
I am just trying out FreeDV and have a few quick questions:

1) I can not find any discussion of standard calling frequencies. Is there a  set of standard frequencies for FreeDV.

2) How do you get a login for qso.freedv.org?  There is no button on the website to start an account but from presentation I just saw on this mode this is the place to go to see who is on the air.

73,
Alan  N7AKG

Gary - K7EK

Apr 30, 2021, 11:21:39 AM4/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
There is no login issued for qso.freedv.org. Just type in your call sign and click the login button.
Standard frequencies will be listed on the page once you are into the system. It's pretty self
explanatory.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Mooneer Salem

Apr 30, 2021, 11:36:21 AM4/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
To add, HamQTH will need to have some sort of idea of who you are (as that's where qso.freedv.org gets the callsign information from). If you have issues logging in with your callsign, you'll probably need to contact them to get your profile/login fixed or created and/or potentially get their database information refreshed on qso.freedv.org as well.

-Mooneer K6AQ

John D. Hays

Apr 30, 2021, 11:52:38 AM4/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
qso.freedv.org looks at the call sign that you enter to see if it is cached as a user, if it is not there it queries hamqth, in real time, for the call sign.

If your call is not at hamqth, go and register there and return to qso.freedv.org to login.

wal...@k5wh.net

Apr 30, 2021, 11:56:06 AM4/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

As Gary mentioned, the QSO.freedv.org site is the best place to see where some of the best suggested frequencies are to be used, for several bands.

Although, 99.9% of all activity in the US here, happens on 14.236. We also have been using 17 meters a little more as well.

20 meters seems to cover the largest part of the country, most of the time, so it’s better or multiple station rag chews.

There is no login required for the QSO finder. However, you WILL want to register with HAMQTH.com and put a profile picture in there, so that when someone in the QSO finder clicks on your callsign, they can see who you are, etc..

But all in all, qso.freedv.org is where you can usually see who’s listening, and where they may be hanging out.

Hope to catch you on the air soon, all the best,

Walter/K5WH

Alan N7AKG

Apr 30, 2021, 1:07:33 PM4/30/21
to digitalvoice
Thanks to all for the quick responses and useful advice.

The issue was that HAMQTH did NOT have my call on file. It is a vanity call just issued to me this week so probably not enough time for it to have percolated through all the servers.

Now that I am logged into qso.freedv.org I see the information I was looking for :-)