Digital Reflector Idea

DV2SXB

Oct 4, 2021, 12:23:37 AM10/4/21
to digitalvoice
Hello,
If this already exists, I was unable to find it.  With so many people interested in YSF/D-Star/Dmr, I thought a channel would be great for FreeDV.  It could be used to sked (I realize there is a website also), elmer newcomers,  provide information/support if able.
It seems like a great way to expand and build on the friendly community.  We know those people are already interested in digital communication too :-)

Even if some people just see the channel and google, "what is freedv", it's a benefit.

My radio may have an internal issue causing high noise.  I have reason to believe through testing it's not local noise.  Working on that situation now.  This makes it very hard to find a qso.  If we have a reflector/channel, we might find people from many countries around the world that are interested.  Ideally it would use some cross-compatible platform or linking so people can join with their hotspots regardless of the equipment.

As of now, I don't have the knowledge to build such a setup.  I just wanted to present it to the community and see what you think.

(any Asian stations that want to sked too, send me a message)

DV2SXB

Oct 4, 2021, 12:26:51 AM10/4/21
to digitalvoice
Side note on the QSO website, it won't accept Philippine call signs, so I have to sign in with my US one :-(

John D. Hays

Oct 4, 2021, 10:29:15 AM10/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
M-17 has a reflector.

wal...@k5wh.net

Oct 4, 2021, 11:02:39 AM10/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

We (the FreeDV crowd in the US) have been very active on the other digital modes as well, with DMR, YSF Fusion, Dstar, and even a bit on M17 too.

You can find us on the Amsat groups and reflectors any day of the week.  Since most of us are also active chasing the satellites as well.

And we have even used FreeDV through a few of them at times.

Ie..

DMR Amsat-98006

YSF Fusion US Amsat-11689

Dstar REFSAT, DCSSAT, XRFSAT, XLXSAT, all on module C

I have the DMR and YSF group/reflector bridged together, so either one will cross connect to the other.

I have not tied the Dstar reflector into the existing bridge just yet, but still planning to make that happen.

Drop on in sometime, and see who you may catch up with.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Mooneer Salem

Oct 4, 2021, 12:28:44 PM10/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
There's also the #freedv channel on Libera if you're familiar with IRC. However, I imagine a Discord group would probably be something nice to have eventually.

-Mooneer K6AQ

DV2SXB

Oct 4, 2021, 10:09:29 PM10/4/21
to digitalvoice

Thanks for the helpful replies!  I got linked up to the Amsat reflector and IRC as well.
Update on the qso finder, I had to make a HamQTH account and then I could log in.
Seems HamQTH doesn't have a way to index the Philippines calls.  (No public database like FCC ULS)