IC705/VB-Audio/WF-View/FreeDV

Rick, W4XA

Feb 19, 2024, 6:26:58 PMFeb 19
to digitalvoice
Howdy all,

As indicated in my subject line,   I have been using VB-Audio (virtual audio port) + WF-View to interface with my ICOM IC705 (via it's own internal WIFI connection) by connecting to my own LAN.

It seems to work "OK" except for a fairly large latency on the order of several seconds.  The latency seems to be in the virtual audio connection since there is FAR LESS latency using the WF-View directly  with the IC-705 either using an Ethernet connected computer to the WIFI router or using WIFI ( laptop -- LAN)  The radio doesn't have an Ethernet port on it so I am limited to using it's own WIFI connectivity.

I've also used a serial (USB) connection and there is no latency at all (less than a couple  hundred ms)

Anyone else using an IC705 via WIFI?

Mooneer Salem

Feb 19, 2024, 8:17:27 PMFeb 19
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Have you tried adjusting the TX/RX latency sliders in wfview? (See below.)

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 5.15.23 PM.png

Note that you may not be able to achieve extremely low latencies depending on how much Wi-Fi is in the immediate area.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

Feb 20, 2024, 2:27:21 AMFeb 20
to digitalvoice
Yeah,

I did try moving them to very low numbers but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.  If I use the WF View by itself, the latency is quite low,

The latency seems to be the actual (virtual) audio connection connection between WF view and FreeDV.

I could see it on the waterfall display of FreeDV.  I was listening to the receiver and watching the display, and  just counted 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand etc and counted up to 10 before I saw the FreeDV display indicate received audio and it began decoding audio at the same time. So it appears that that FreeDV was not displaying or decoding audio for nearly 10 sec.

Now granted,  the time is the sum of  IC-705 + WIFI latency + WF View + virtual audio connections.  But when using the IC-705 with WF-View in analog mode, the latency seems short (reasonable)

This all makes me think the biggest delay is in VB-Audio Cable.  The VB-Cable control panel does have some selections that seem to control latency but only one setting even worked at all.

It does indicate that one must reboot "Core Audio" if any changes are made.

I might try using a different virtual audio connection and see if it makes a difference.

Mooneer Salem

Feb 20, 2024, 5:26:42 PMFeb 20
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Adjusting the "Audio System" setting in wfview might help as well. I seem to remember one of the options having a lot more latency than the others, anyway.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

Feb 21, 2024, 2:21:08 AMFeb 21
to digitalvoice
Actually I did "fiddle" with those settings  and I can't remember which one I started with before.

I may have unknowingly selected the "slow" one!

Rick, W4XA

Feb 27, 2024, 5:05:44 PMFeb 27
to digitalvoice
Update on WF-View, VB-Audio and FreeDV running on the Mac (not the truck)

After much "fiddling", I did not resolve the excessive latency but determined it isn't FreeDV, my WIFI connection nor is it WF-View.

It appeared to be centered in the way VB-Audio and how the MACos handles it.

I had another "problem" with the MACos and did a complete wipe/re-install (which is easier than one might think on a MAC)

Then after re-installing WF-View, FreeDV AND VB-Audio, everything works (via WIFI)  with (relatively) minimal latency.

Now,

Although this is maybe a question for a different thread, has anyone ever used JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) on Linux, Winblows or a MAC (not the truck) ??

As near as I can tell, JACK can be used as a virtual audio connector able to connect/control a multitude of audio and MIDI devices.

Their own website has source code, and/or installers for Winblows and the MAC...... just about every Linux distro has Jack binaries already available in their own repositories.   https://jackaudio.org/

Cheers,

Rick/W7XA

Rick, W4XA

Feb 27, 2024, 5:35:27 PMFeb 27
to digitalvoice
Wishful thinking  W7XA = W4XA (only in my dreams!!)