Windows crash

Rick, WA6III

Nov 5, 2022, 8:22:55 PM11/5/22
to digitalvoice
Howdy all,

Just installed 1.8.4 x64 on an old HP laptop running Win10 after being away from digital HF for several years.  I sold my old IC736 + SignaLink device, and haven't done anything with digital "anything" until last week when I received my new ICOM IC705.

 I tried D-Star (can I even say that here?) and was surprised that audio quality was not much better than Freedv was nearly 10 years ago and 7-times "wider" than 700D!!

Anyway, I was equally surprised how easy was to get Freedv to work on the IC705!!

I got with a friend of mine and (over the phone), we got FREEDV 1.8.4 (x64) installed on his winblows 10 laptop and the USB talking to his IC7300.

The audio set up was pretty easy as was the (Hamlib)  PTT.  The problem came when he "pressed" START!

The program just closes (everytime).  no errors or messages!

Task manager indicated no other (user) programs running and the only other USB device is the mouse.

Is there something obvious I might be missing?

Thanks!

Rick WA6III
Western Wa.

Mooneer Salem

Nov 5, 2022, 8:32:07 PM11/5/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

A few things you guys can try:

1. Temporarily disable multi-receive support (Tools->Options->Modem and uncheck "Simultaneously Decode All HF Modes") and then make sure to choose a mode other than 2020 or 2020B before clicking Start.
2. Disable use of Hamlib to rule out any CAT communication issues.
   a. On recent Icom radios you may need to make sure "CI-V USB Echo Back" is IIRC disabled. It might be worth it to check this setting on the radio before disabling Hamlib altogether.

If neither of those help, I'd be interested in knowing more about the hardware/software configuration of the machine in question so we can investigate further.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Nov 6, 2022, 3:27:28 PM11/6/22
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer,

Thanks for the quick reply on this!

I did try the suggestions you mentioned and it made no difference.  The program still closes when "START" is clicked

His computer is an Intel based Core i5 DELL laptop with 8GbB of ram and a solid state drive installed.    The only peripheral connected (other than the USB cable to his IC7300) is a wireless USB mouse which we disconnected, and then rebooted computer to try without.

I had him do all the available MS updates for WIN10 prior to installation  to ensure everything was current.

Also, I had him completely uninstall 1.8.4, reboot,  and then install 1.7.0 with the same results.  I am thinking it could be conflict with Audio I/O selections, but we're sticking with the "default" analog MIC in, Audio codec to/from radio, default computer--> speaker settings that worked with my older Core i3 HP laptop also running WIN10..

I even tried to match his settings to get mine to duplicate the problem to no avail.

I am sure it's something I am not seeing,  but it's been years since I got FREEDV running on an older Win7 laptop (it just worked)  .  I also have gotten it working on an OpensuSE desktop and my Macbook Pro running (Ubuntu based) KDE NEON (although the audio selections are also giving me problems, it does not crash the program!)

We're going to try it again later this afternoon and I'll try to delve into his global audio settings in WIN10

Thanks again!

Rick WA6III

Mooneer Salem

Nov 6, 2022, 4:31:43 PM11/6/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Would it be possible to run the Windows Event Viewer (Start Menu and type "Event Viewer") and look for the FreeDV crash log? It would be under Windows Logs->Application if one was written. If you can find one, can you please send it over?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Nov 7, 2022, 2:57:55 AM11/7/22
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,

I may have discovered a combination of audio device settings on my windows laptop that will cause the program to shutdown.  Some setting errors like choosing different sampling rates or the same device in 2 places seem to produce an error message,  but a different combination caused it to close the program in mine also. (I also got it to do the same thing with my MacbookPro running KDE NEON (Ubuntu 20.04).   I'll try to find the FreeDV crash log for both!

Cheers,

Rick

Mooneer Salem

Nov 7, 2022, 10:45:15 AM11/7/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Keep us advised for sure.

BTW, on Linux you may be able to run gdb to get a stack trace (assuming you're running from the build_linux folder):

$ gdb src/freedv
(gdb) run
[repeat steps that caused crash]
(gdb) bt
[stack trace prints]
(gdb) quit
$

If you can, copying the entire output from when you type "run" until you quit gdb would be helpful as well as providing the steps you did.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 13, 2022, 8:44:02 PM12/13/22
to digitalvoice
Well,

Here's an update on progress getting FreeDv to work on Winblows and Linux.

In the WIN10, it was absolutely the choices of Audio sources IN/OUT.   I was even able to get my Ubuntu based KDE Neon laptop to "crash"  the program (on pressing "Start")  by selecting the wrong audio IN/Out choices.

I finally got the program to run on my desktop computer (AMD board, 6-Core AMD Phenom CPU)  but not until I disabled the HDMI audio selections.

Audio selections were pretty straightforward after that. I REALLY wanted to be able to use the HDMI audio ("computer ---> speakers")  but never could get the right selection until disabling HDMI audio.

Then I tried to use my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) running  Open SuSE "Tumbleweed" and FreeDV will not get past the opening dialog ("It looks like this is your first time.....")

Clicking "Ok" closes that window but the GUI does not appear anywhere.

I believe the program is actually running because the KDE System monitor Process table shows FreeDV in the list, CPU usage and memory usage at about 40MB.

I'm sort of at a loss as how to proceed with MAC (truck) running Linux on it!

Has anyone else tried running Linux on a MAC and then running FreeDV?

Mooneer Salem

Dec 14, 2022, 4:00:25 AM12/14/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

I just installed openSUSE Tumbleweed in a VM and compiled the latest source code from GitHub master. While it's admittedly on a much newer machine and different architecture (M1 Mac Mini), the main window does appear as soon as I click OK for the "first time" popup: https://imgur.com/a/SP1lFnP. Were you using that version of FreeDV or a different one for testing?

As for the HDMI audio source crashes, would you be able to give more information (e.g. the name of the HDMI audio device you're trying to select)? Probably the easiest way for me to test would be to use a Raspberry Pi hooked to my TV but I'm not sure that'd be sufficient to duplicate the issue on my end, especially if it only happens with certain monitors/graphics cards or something. If anyone else is seeing similar crashes when selecting an HDMI audio source for an output, definitely feel free to comment here too.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 14, 2022, 3:08:50 PM12/14/22
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,

Thanks again for the very quick reply on this!

I got the FreeDV RPM package from the OpenSuSE build service https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:wkazubski/freedv

It makes it very easy to install since I can use YAST or zypper in a terminal to install it.

I tried Tumbleweed and then Leap 15.4 (most current Leap) and got the same results using the MacBook Pro.

The only upgrade in the macbook is changing out the old spinning drive for a 256gb Samsung SSD and upgrading the ram to 16gb.

My Desktop runs Leap 15.3 (just about at EOL) And it works flawlessly using my new IC-705

Mooneer Salem

Dec 15, 2022, 1:56:07 AM12/15/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
So far, I've tested HDMI out on the Mac Mini for audio and no problems that I can tell, so it might not be a bug that's independent of user configuration (e.g. OS). I have heard of devices appearing multiple times on Windows, so I wonder if choosing one of the other versions of the HDMI out device would work better. If so, that would be useful to know so that the non-working ones can be filtered out of the device selection.

Anyway, on openSUSE, can you run FreeDV from Konsole instead ("freedv" command)? There may be some console output that is useful there (as well as confirming whether the program is indeed continuing to run after acknowledging the dialog box).

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 15, 2022, 2:52:09 PM12/15/22
to digitalvoice
I thought about operating from the Konsole!  I'll give it a try and let you know!  I would really like to get this thing going on the Macbook.  Opensuse runs really nice on it!

Rick, WA6III

Dec 15, 2022, 3:19:45 PM12/15/22
to digitalvoice
Well,   running from Konsole did reveal some "stuff" but I am not sure what all of it means.  (Granted I have been using OpenSuSE since about 200, alas, I am still a Linux Novice!)

And here's where it's "stuck"!!......I understand that some or all of the ALSA info is due to no current audio IN/OUT selections

It looks like I am missing some dependencies or something?  YAST during installation didn't indicate this at all

rick@localhost:~> freedv
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:877:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:877:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:877:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Making sure your machine can handle 2020 mode:
Generating test audio...

Mooneer Salem

Dec 15, 2022, 10:44:23 PM12/15/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Actually, if there were missing prerequisites "freedv" wouldn't be able to run at all, so you're good there :)

Though speaking of prerequisites, I think the "codec2" and "freedv" packages on openSUSE are being built without LPCNet support (there's no reference to LPCNet anywhere in the spec file at https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/hardware:sdr/codec2/codec2.spec?expand=1). Since LPCNet is needed for 2020 mode this is likely why the issue is occurring. As a workaround you can add the following to the top of your .freedv file to skip this check:

FirstTimeUse=0
[FreeDV2020]
Allowed=0

The weird thing is that this code should already be getting compiled out if 2020 mode doesn't exist (e.g. the #if defined() at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L775). I'll have to investigate further to see what's going on.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Dec 16, 2022, 2:37:49 AM12/16/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Looked again and it does seem to use LPCNet after all. Can't seem to build freedv-gui otherwise :)

Another thing that you can try before applying that config file workaround is to see exactly how long it sits there. If it sits there quite a while, it's definitely frozen up.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 17, 2022, 2:49:09 AM12/17/22
to digitalvoice
Just looked at the .freedv file in my desktop computer runing Leap 15.3 and those 3 lines are there.

Strange thing is .freedv is nowhere to be found in the Home directory in the macbook running Leap 15.4

Looks like the installation didn't happen properly.

I'll uninstall it using YAST and reinstall using zypper  (although doesn't Yast use Zypper?)

Very strange...

Mooneer Salem

Dec 17, 2022, 3:39:42 PM12/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

If there's no .freedv file, it likely didn't get far enough to save the results. You should be able to create a new file in your home directory with those three lines and restart FreeDV.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 17, 2022, 6:38:01 PM12/17/22
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,

Thanks again for the assistance here!

Well, uninstalling and reinstalling using zypper yielded the same results but  creating the file with those 3 lines  got results!  The program runs now and I was able to get an initial receive window going.

Not sure what's going on with the audio "Output from Computer to Speaker/Headphones" though. Can't seem to select a choice that gives me continuous audio.

I can see the correct playback streams but intermittent or no audio at the speaker

Rick, WA6III

Dec 17, 2022, 6:55:02 PM12/17/22
to digitalvoice
Looks like my "Soundcard 1" choices are pretty obviously correct

Soundcard-2 choices nummerous

FirstTimeUse=0
[FreeDV2020]
Allowed=0
[MainFrame]
left=0
top=24
width=1280
height=679
rxNbookCtrl=0
[Audio]
SquelchActive=0
SquelchLevel=-10
fifoSize_ms=440
soundCard1InDeviceName=USB Audio CODEC: - (hw:1,0)
soundCard1OutDeviceName=USB Audio CODEC: - (hw:1,0)
soundCard2InDeviceName=HDA Intel PCH: CS4206 Analog (hw:0,0)
soundCard2OutDeviceName=HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3)
transmitLevel=0
soundCard1SampleRate=-1
soundCard2SampleRate=-1
soundCard1InSampleRate=44100
soundCard1OutSampleRate=44100
soundCard2InSampleRate=44100
soundCard2OutSampleRate=44100
snrSlow=0
mode=4
[File]
playFileToMicInPath=
recFileFromRadioPath=
recFileFromRadioSecs=60
recFileFromModulatorPath=
recFileFromModulatorSecs=10
playFileFromRadioPath=
[Rig]
HalfDuplex=1
MultipleRx=1
SingleRxThread=1
leftChannelVoxTone=0
UseSerialPTT=0
Port=
UseRTS=1
RTSPolarity=1
UseDTR=0
DTRPolarity=0
UseSerialPTTInput=0
PttInPort=
CTSPolarity=0
[VoiceKeyer]
WaveFilePath=
WaveFile=voicekeyer.wav
RxPause=10
Repeats=5
[Hamlib]
UseForPTT=0
IcomCIVHex=0
RigNameStr=ADAT www.adat.ch ADT-200A
RigName=0
SerialPort=
SerialRate=0
[Filter]
codec2LPCPostFilterEnable=1
codec2LPCPostFilterBassBoost=1
codec2LPCPostFilterGamma=50
codec2LPCPostFilterBeta=20
speexpp_enable=1
700C_EQ=1
MicInBassFreqHz=1
MicInBassGaindB=0
MicInTrebleFreqHz=1
MicInTrebleGaindB=0
MicInMidFreqHz=1
MicInMidGaindB=0
MicInMidQ=100
MicInVolInDB=0
MicInEQEnable=0
SpkOutBassFreqHz=1
SpkOutBassGaindB=0
SpkOutTrebleFreqHz=1
SpkOutTrebleGaindB=0
SpkOutMidFreqHz=1
SpkOutMidGaindB=0
SpkOutMidQ=100
SpkOutVolInDB=0
SpkOutEQEnable=0
[Data]
CallSign=
TextEncoding=1
[UDP]
enable=0
port=3000
[FreeDV700]
txClip=1
txBPF=1
manualUnSync=0
[Noise]
noise_snr=2
[Debug]
console=0
verbose=0
APIverbose=0
[PSKReporter]
Enable=0
Callsign=
GridSquare=
FrequencyHz=0
[Waterfall]
Color=0
[Stats]
ResetTime=10

Rick, WA6III

Dec 17, 2022, 7:14:36 PM12/17/22
to digitalvoice
I guess I didn't indicate the problem now!

Soundcard-2 choices are numerous.....Some combinations still (understandably) close/crash the program.

It would be nice if there was someone else out there with a MID2012 Macbook Pro has gotten this to work properly in Linux!

This is the same problem I had running KDE Neon (Ubuntu-inside)  ......many audio (digital and analog) selections including 3 different HDMI audio choices but couldn't get any of them to work.  It's particularly  frustrating that FreeDV reports slightly different "Names" for each audio selection compared to KDE so I have to experiment somewhat....

Mooneer Salem

Dec 18, 2022, 3:17:56 AM12/18/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

I wonder if you'd have better luck audio device-wise by building FreeDV to use PulseAudio instead of PortAudio like what the OpenSUSE package seems to use. These commands should do that and run the resulting FreeDV binary:

$ sudo zypper install git-core gcc gcc-g++ binutils cmake-full wxWidgets-3_2-devel libsndfile-devel libsamplerate-devel sox hamlib-devel libpulse-devel
$ cd freedv-gui
$ ./build_linux.sh pulseaudio
$ cd build_linux
$ ./src/freedv

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Dec 19, 2022, 2:10:13 AM12/19/22
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,

Believe it or not, I actually made some progress choosing   "HDA:(CS4206 Analog(hw:0,0)" for receive(Computer to Speakers)  and "HDA:(CS4206 Analog(hw:0,0)" for transmit(Mic to Computer)

Initially I could not get the transmit keying to work. (using the same Hamlib setting that works on my desktop running Leap 15.3)

And of course realized I hadn't added myself to DIALOUT (again!!)

I still do not understand why The OpenSuSE developers do not make this a default. (I think they've always left regular users in the cold on serial port use!)

Still working on the transmit audio.  In the analog mode, I should be able to key the transmitter and transmit SSB using the laptop mic and audio source.  (It works on the desktop)