Broadcast some related data along with the compressed voice

Aztec N

May 19, 2023, 2:54:24 PM5/19/23
to digitalvoice

 Dear all,

I hope this is the correct forum for asking my question. If not, I hope you have a kind heart to accept my apology. I am new to experimenting with FreeDV. My understanding is that it is a digital voice mode that sends voice across radio frequencies using low-bit-rate speech codecs. However, as it employs digital modulation techniques, it can also be used to send other types of digital data. I want to use this idea in some applications, but as I am not an expert in digital voice, I need someone to confirm my theory before I engage in coding.

I wish to use the FreeDV API in C++ to place a real-time call between two devices. But first, I want to be able to externally encode the voice using codec 2 and then broadcast some related data along with the compressed voice, before modulating the audio using one of the available speech modes. For instance, I could wish to broadcast a burst of two frames. One frame contains the actual compressed voice in six bytes, while the other contains the transmitter and receiver IDs (an additional six bytes of non-speech content). Is this feasible?

Aztec

Mooneer Salem

May 20, 2023, 8:50:56 AM5/20/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aztec,

The freedv_mixed_rx and freedv_mixed_tx tools from Codec2 may be a good starting point:

I haven't done much with mixed modes, personally, but others may be able to comment more.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Aztec N

May 22, 2023, 3:30:44 AM5/22/23
to digitalvoice
Dear Mooneer,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I'm hoping the others would also add more insightful comments.

-Aztec