FreeDV and Flex Radio

glenn...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2021, 1:08:10 PM7/14/21
to digitalvoice
I know there is a version of FreeDV for installing as an additional mode in the Flex Radio software.  I am curious if there has been any work or thought put into updating it, if anyone here has knowledge of it.

r/
Glenn

wal...@k5wh.net

Jul 14, 2021, 2:57:18 PM7/14/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Hi there Glenn,

Unfortunately, there has not been any work on this, to have it updated to support the many newer features and better performing modes of FreeDV.

The challenging part, is that while we have some really great FreeDV programmers, they are not as familiar with the Flex radio API side, to have this completely integrated.

We are all hoping that there will be a solution for this someday in the future.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Mel Whitten

Jul 14, 2021, 3:37:14 PM7/14/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Hi Glenn,

There has been a lot of “thought” over the years to update the Flex but I believe it has always ended there.   Need a programmer who has a Flex 6000 series Radio and a strong interest in FreeDV.  Flex will answer questions regarding their API.   See https://www.flexradio.com/api

Mel, K0PFX

Robert McGwier

Aug 2, 2021, 7:52:35 PM8/2/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Which version of interface from the flex API is used?  External or internal waveform?

--
Dr. Robert W McGwier, Ph.D.
Adjunct Faculty, Virginia Tech

glenn...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2021, 9:13:55 PM8/2/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

The Flex installable version of FreeDV is really old, only one mode option not sure which it is.  I have had allot of issues with it.  The output from radio is also VERY low, like a couple watts when set for full power output. I understand digital modes do not require the same amount of power output but 30-40 watts output on a digital signal when set to full power, 100watts, is very reasonable.  That is about what more demanding digital modes are set for.

Mel Whitten

Aug 2, 2021, 10:35:31 PM8/2/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Bob, I don’t recall what version of API was used but it could not have been far from v1.x. Then Graham Haddock used the API to show us how it could be used to provide FreeDV for the Flex.  Yes, it had a couple issues (USB only for all bands, for one) but it was usable and the DV community appreciated the effort Graham took to provide FreeDV.

Mel

Aug 3, 2021, 12:24:55 PM8/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 17:06 +0100, 'Cess' via digitalvoice wrote:
I use FreeDV all the time here with my Flex 6500 as the TX/RX and have a sked on 80 Metres every day and it has been going for quite a few years now

I have not heard you for a while recently Cess, or any of the other stations. Signals at my location near Bedford vary in strength but I usually hear you at about 4-6dB SNR. The bands have been pretty poor of late, which doesn't help. I think 700E might be an improvement, I think you get an extra dB or so for the cost of a bit more bandwidth.

I know some recent weather has made you shut down. The lightning map has been interesting some days.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

lu5...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2021, 4:57:19 PM8/3/21
to digitalvoice
Hello friends, I tell you that every day we are in contact with AUSTRALIA (VL3BRT and VK3RV) at 3693 kc and 7187 kc for me (LU5DKI)
You can listen to us through the sdr of VICTORIA and NSW .. and my station through SDR of BRAZIL (PW5W or maybe NZ, ROUTURUA,)
the time is 11.00 UTC.
It would be great to do a qso using some WALES sdr
thank you very much for your attention
If you require more information, please let me know
73
JOSE LU5DKI

Cess

Aug 4, 2021, 6:32:46 AM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brian

Try listing on the Western  Kiwi,  If you type,     sdr.logonto.me:8078 that will take you directly to one of the Western Kiwisdr  there are a number of Kiwi sdr with the Western group the numbers go from 8073 8974 8075 8076 8078 with different Antenna’s.

Regards Cess GW3OAJ

Ie there is a e-mail to you from

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Aug 4, 2021, 12:22:17 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 11:32 +0100, 'Cess' via digitalvoice wrote:

Hi Brian

Try listing on the Western  Kiwi,  If you type,     sdr.logonto.me:8078 that will take you directly to one of the Western Kiwisdr  there are a number of Kiwi sdr with the Western group the numbers go from 8073 8974 8075 8076 8078 with different Antenna’s.

Regards Cess GW3OAJ

I found the Western SDR but had to use websdr.uk, the other hostname doesn't resolve.

I could see that there were FreeDV signals, and read you when you used SSB, but 80m seems pretty dreadful at this time of year during the afternoon. I can't hear you currently direct but I also need to sort out getting Firefox to send its output audio to my FreeDV program, which means messing with Fedora Linux, pipewire etc. I have that working from my radios but looping back from Firefox needs some research.

OK, well that's all I can say at present, will try another day.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Gary Kohtala

Aug 4, 2021, 12:42:44 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I have a Flex 1500. Has anyone done FreeDV with this radio? What were your results? Thanks.

 Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Mel Whitten

Aug 4, 2021, 2:29:01 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I have used the 1500 on DV.  Used an Acom 2000A with it for 200w out.  All worked fine with Power SDR software and virtual cables.

Mel, K0PFX

I have a Flex 1500. Has anyone done FreeDV with this radio? What were your results? Thanks.

 Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

david

Aug 4, 2021, 3:44:38 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
> I could see that there were FreeDV signals, and read you when you
> used SSB, but 80m seems pretty dreadful at this time of year during
> the afternoon. I can't hear you currently direct but I also need to
> sort out getting Firefox to send its output audio to my FreeDV
> program, which means messing with Fedora Linux, pipewire etc. I have
> that working from my radios but looping back from Firefox needs some
> research.

On Ubuntu I redirect Firefox audio to FreeDV with an Alsa loopback
device.

- David

Gary Kohtala

Aug 4, 2021, 4:03:26 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mel. I've experienced latency issues with my Flex 1500 at times, depending on which computer I was using.
I think a robust computer running only PowerSDR, FreeDV, and the necessary support apps would be in order. I know
that I had to go into the nuts and bolts of Windows and kill off dozens of unnecessary things that were sapping
resources. I particularly had issues with USB ports.  I'll see if I can get one of my computers clear of bloatware
and maybe give FreeDV a test with my Flex 1500.  Failing that, I'll have to revert to my SM1000, which has apparently
become obsolete. I'll have to fall back on mode 700d. I haven't heard anyone on that mode in many months. Sure
wish the SM1000 was upgradable to include some of the newer more robust DV modes.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

david

Aug 4, 2021, 4:38:49 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,

On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 16:02 -0400, Gary Kohtala wrote:
> Thanks Mel. I've experienced latency issues with my Flex 1500 at
> times, depending on which computer I was using.
> I think a robust computer running only PowerSDR, FreeDV, and the
> necessary support apps would be in order. I know
> that I had to go into the nuts and bolts of Windows and kill off
> dozens of unnecessary things that were sapping
> resources. I particularly had issues with USB ports. I'll see if I
> can get one of my computers clear of bloatware
> and maybe give FreeDV a test with my Flex 1500. Failing that, I'll
> have to revert to my SM1000, which has apparently
> become obsolete.

Nope.

> I'll have to fall back on mode 700d. I haven't heard anyone on that
> mode in many months. Sure
> wish the SM1000 was upgradable to include some of the newer more
> robust DV modes.

You can:

https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/master/stm32/doc/sm1000_manual.md

- David

Gary Kohtala

Aug 4, 2021, 5:04:54 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I have 700d and 1600 in my SM1000. It is flashed with the most current firmware.  I was told by one or two folks that there's not enough room in the SM1000 to
upgrade to the newer/currently popular modes.  Nobody seems to use 700d or 1600 these days. I've called and called on both modes, parked on the FreeDV QSO finder, etc,
but no joy for months. Did I miss something? Is there a different hardware solution, similar to the SM1000, that includes currently used FreeDV modes? Thanks.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Brian Morrison

Aug 4, 2021, 5:40:27 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I know it's possible, but I need to get it working with pipewire
under Fedora because that is the new Linux audio subsystem that
replaces pulseaudio but in a low-latency form. I just need to find the
magic incantation for pw-loopback.

Trouble is, pipewire is fairly new and it does tend to break/fix/break
things, sometimes it even leaves them fixed. Just as well MF/HF bands
are not in a very good state just now.

--

Brian G8SEZ

lu5...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2021, 5:50:09 PM8/4/21
to digitalvoice
OK thank you very much, our qso's are daily, you can usually listen to me at 7187 kc on the SDR KIWIROUTURUA NZ, about 12000 km away at 11.30 UTC
73 and good luck
lu5dki

wal...@k5wh.net

Aug 4, 2021, 6:10:34 PM8/4/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Gary,

We are on FreeDV every day of the week, and all day long.

Always listening in the background, as well as a couple others.

Unfortunately, the propagation is not near as active as we are, so the path may not be there all the time.

With the latest versions of FreeDV, it will auto mode detect, so no matter what mode you come up on, we will hear you just fine.

The QSO finder is the best way to find the active users, so don’t give up, just jump in and give it a call at different times.

If that doesn’t stir anything up, jump on DMR on 98006, the Amsat talk group, and get someone’s attention.

Also, ping me if you want the link to my Zoom channel, where we have a countless number of people from around the planet online all day and night, where we bounce between satellites, HF, FreeDV, and about every other digital mode as well.

All the best, see you soon,

Walter/K5WH