Symplifying FreeDV GUI for new users?

Peter Reichelt

Sep 3, 2021, 6:56:32 AM9/3/21
to digitalvoice
Hi all, with the new modes and features the GUI can be quite daunting for newcomers.To this end I believe that some small modifications may be beneficial.

1. Reorganise the mode selection into the following order 700C, 700D, 700E, 1600, 2020, 2400B 800XA with square brackets from 700C - 2020 and designated SSB, a tick mark on 2400B and designated FM, and a tick mark on 8000XA designated Exp for experimental.

Allied to this is the mode 700C still required given that 700E outperforms 700C on high SNR fading channels and also is 1600 still used given greater fidelity at similar SNR by 2020. Is AVX support still an issue on some computer systems?

2. Mooneer has significantly improved the Tools/Options readability by providing Tabs.
I believe this could be further enhanced by splitting he options menu item into 2 separate menus, labelled "Basic Setup Options" including the Reporting, Display, Voice Keyer and Modem tabs, and a new menu labelled "Avanced/Expermental Options" containing the Simulation, UDP and Debugging tabs.

These are my ideas and I would encourage discussion on the merits before an effort was put into implementing them.

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Rod Rowe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:34:11 AM9/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
AVX ,
Not supported on any of my machines. Laptop, a cheaper one I purchased 2 years ago for radio stuff etc.

Cheers from
Rhod VK2TTL
Clarence Valley
North Coast NSW

Siegfried...@freenet.de

Sep 3, 2021, 8:45:34 AM9/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
700 modes
800xa
1600
2020
2400
Thats how i would order them
Dg9bfc sigi

Mooneer Salem

Sep 3, 2021, 2:10:16 PM9/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 3:56 AM Peter Reichelt <pandm.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. Reorganise the mode selection into the following order 700C, 700D, 700E, 1600, 2020, 2400B 800XA with square brackets from 700C - 2020 and designated SSB, a tick mark on 2400B and designated FM, and a tick mark on 8000XA designated Exp for experimental.

Allied to this is the mode 700C still required given that 700E outperforms 700C on high SNR fading channels and also is 1600 still used given greater fidelity at similar SNR by 2020. Is AVX support still an issue on some computer systems?

700C actually does perform pretty well in certain cases, so it still has merit. Jose (LU5DKI) and friends for instance use it for the long distance South America->Australia paths they frequently communicate on.

As for consolidation/reorganization, I'm wondering if maybe the less frequently used modes being hidden by default would be better. I'd be interested in knowing from the rest of you how common the other modes are; at least in most of my experience (US domestic daytime ops) 700D and E are most frequently used.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 5:34 AM Rod Rowe <vk2...@gmail.com> wrote:
AVX ,
Not supported on any of my machines. Laptop, a cheaper one I purchased 2 years ago for radio stuff etc.

Most ARM systems (such as the Raspberry Pi) don't have 2020 mode enabled, either. The exception is the Apple computers based on the M1 processor as it has enough performance to satisfactorily decode it.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Sep 3, 2021, 2:29:28 PM9/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2021-09-03 at 11:10 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
As for consolidation/reorganization, I'm wondering if maybe the less frequently used modes being hidden by default would be better. I'd be interested in knowing from the rest of you how common the other modes are; at least in most of my experience (US domestic daytime ops) 700D and E are most frequently used.

I think the proposal would be best handled by creating an advanced preference allowing you to display what you want easily, I think it might also be sensible to think about tool tips for the modes giving a little insight into their suggested use. Of course that should be a minimal explanation and placed so as not to obscure the control. That's one thing I find the squelch control tool tip does for instance.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

wal...@k5wh.net

Sep 3, 2021, 6:23:55 PM9/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

If the other modes are hidden, lets be sure that the simultaneous decode option is still scanning them, even if they are not visible.

Just to ensure we are able to capture anyone trying this out.

My 2 cents. 😊

Walter/K5WH

Peter Reichelt

Sep 6, 2021, 11:00:27 PM9/6/21
to digitalvoice
Mooneer and Brian I agree with the concept of hidden items that can be displayed as required. I believe that most of the Stats info could be hidden. BER is probably the most useful and could be displayed all the time with others displayed as required for experimentation/fault finding. This could be achieved by having a tick box in the options area "Show all Stats".

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Sep 7, 2021, 1:53:56 AM9/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Great suggestions! I've been consolidating these ideas over at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/discussions/165 and added an additional one (the "wizard" mode for first time setup) so we can get a bit more visibility and discussion in an organized manner. Feel free to post any additional ideas there as well. :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ