Q2 2022 FreeDV Activity Day results

Mooneer Salem

Aug 7, 2022, 11:42:07 PM8/7/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net, ma...@ham-radio-tech-notes.groups.io
Hi all,

Another great Activity Day here! (Unfortunately, technical issues on my end* plus travel limited my time on the air this time, but there's always next time.) I took some screenshots of the activity reported by PSK Reporter and posted them up at https://imgur.com/a/a9QCoic for those interested.

Anyway, for those who participated, feel free to reply with how it went for you :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

(* Wi-Fi on macOS has been a constant problem for me. SDR apps on that platform have had a bad habit of producing choppy audio unless on Ethernet, hence causing me decode issues. I'm not sure why since I have a lot fewer issues related to Wi-Fi on my Windows and Linux devices. Fortunately, using the "data offloading" feature of my Netgear hotspot seems to be a decent workaround that lets me use hotel, etc. internet while also using Ethernet.)

wal...@k5wh.net

Aug 8, 2022, 9:27:26 AM8/8/22
to ma...@ham-radio-tech-notes.groups.io, digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net

We had a really great time through the weekend with this event.

There were many more stations from Europe and South America, and Australia, as well, that were active this time.

I certainly hope this continues to drive up the interest, and especially the daily activity.

The are several of us that have FreeDV running in the background ALL the time. So send out the CQ messages, or jump onto the QSO finder if you want to try it further.

Walter/K5WH

Brian Morrison

Aug 8, 2022, 9:29:30 AM8/8/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:41:53 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, for those who participated, feel free to reply with how it went for
> you :)

I heard a good few stations in the US but couldn't quite make any QSOs
in that direction. K5WH, K0PFX, N3WT heard at good SNR and strength for
some periods on Saturday evening. I managed to work Manfred DJ4MO on
20m using 700D mode which seemed to be best, 700E might have had lower
error rates but the extra few dB signal strength required was beyond my
station.

Band conditions were generally OK on Saturday especially during the
evening but Sunday was the victim of rising Kp index and a coronal hole
to boot.

I don't know if there were any other G stations on air, I didn't hear
any even on 40m which should have been the best for inter-G working.

A good fun weekend in all.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Al Beard

Aug 9, 2022, 2:25:37 AM8/9/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Here are two recordings on the Activity Day from Australia:

Play with:

c2dec 700C <file> - | aplay -f S16

Short but very clear audio.

0x73

Alan VK2ZIW

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:29:26 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote
> --
> receiving emails from it, send an email to
digitalvoice...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/20220808142926.53d6299d%40deang
elis.fenrir.org.uk.

Alan VK2ZIW