Re: [digitalvoice] Digest for digitalvoice@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

John LeRoy

Mar 28, 2022, 9:45:19 AM3/28/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mooneer. 20.04 LTS should be close to Debian 11. I don't mind pulling in a few packages from Testing or even Unstable, but there's always a risk that I will crash something in the Stable release I'm running.

I can hear some guys in Australia this morning 1300 UTC, so I wonder if there is a station there running digital voice at this time of day. Oh, gosh, that's after midnight there. That's going to be a tough sked to set up. It will take some perusal of the propagation charts.

73,
John W4JKL

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 11:39 PM <digita...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com>: Mar 27 12:26PM -0700

Hi Brian,

I took a look at FreeDV's CMakeLists.txt and it seems that the Git hashes
appear if there's a .git folder in the source tree:

if(EXISTS ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/.git)
find_package(Git QUIET)
if(Git_FOUND)
execute_process(
COMMAND "${GIT_EXECUTABLE}" describe --always HEAD
WORKING_DIRECTORY "${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}"
RESULT_VARIABLE res
OUTPUT_VARIABLE FREEDV_HASH
ERROR_QUIET
OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)
message(STATUS "freedv-gui current git hash: ${FREEDV_HASH}")
add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="${FREEDV_HASH}")
else()
message(WARNING "Git not found. Can not determine current commit
hash.")
add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="Unknown")
endif()
else()
add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="None")
endif()

I'm not sure it'd be possible without somehow storing the hash using some
other mechanism. Suggestions here would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com>: Mar 27 12:28PM -0700

Hi Keith,

Which version of Norton are you using? Worst-case, I can buy a license for
a year and try to duplicate the issue on a VM.

Also, if anyone else has Norton and can duplicate what Keith's seeing,
please let me know.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

"Keith Prosser" <gw8...@gmail.com>: Mar 27 10:05PM +0100

it is the new security from British Telecommunications plc

On 27/03/2022 20:28:52, Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Keith,

Which version of Norton are you using? Worst-case, I can buy a license for a year and try to duplicate the issue on a VM.

Also, if anyone else has Norton and can duplicate what Keith's seeing, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 7:49 AM Keith Prosser <gw8...@gmail.com [mailto:gw8...@gmail.com]> wrote:

the one I down loaded in February runs ok the latest one, Norton will not let it run it does not trust it never mind what I tell it.data protected, trying to delete a file.
it is the new security from British Telecommunications plc and have not got my head around it yet.hi hi.
I did have problems downloading it in the begin got round that ,and then installing it , now it will run and then close down.
Keith GW8TRO

On 25/03/2022 21:16:53, Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com [mailto:moo...@gmail.com]> wrote:
Hi Keith,

Does Norton say why it can't be opened? You should be able to add freedv.exe to its exception list to allow you to run it anyway.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 12:53 PM Keith Prosser <gw8...@gmail.com [mailto:gw8...@gmail.com]> wrote:

Hi Mooner,
Just tried running the latest 1.8 and it will not run with the Norton Security, it will run the earlier version of 1.8.
Keith GW8TRO
On 25/03/2022 08:10:35, Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com [mailto:moo...@gmail.com]> wrote:
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the input. In the past, the test builds have been suffixed with "devel" and the commit ID, which probably did help with keeping the builds straight. I reenabled that in the current test code for future builds based on this code to hopefully reduce confusion in the future.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Barry Theodore <barryt...@gmail.com [mailto:barryt...@gmail.com]> wrote:

I don't know about other members but to me this is getting very confusing with all of the updates and version being 1.8.0, surely they could be 1.8.1, 1.8.2....; etc which would make it easier to setup on your computer as each one would install in a different folder, I am talking Windows and would make it easier to go back to an older version of required. You could even add an extra digit ie" 1.8.0.1, 1.8.0.2 and then we could refer to the version we are running by the last digit instead of the generic 1.8.0 which could be any version. Just a suggestion. Yes, I still have to do the description on how to use SDR's with FreeDV.
Regards
Barry VK3BRT

On Friday, 25 March 2022 at 05:35:01 UTC+11 moo...@gmail.com [mailto:moo...@gmail.com] wrote:

Hi all,

During testing yesterday, I discovered a crash when using a headset set to a different sample rate than the radio's sound card. I made new builds to resolve this issue and placed them at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8odvk9nwjvtq6g6/AABd85uod6pBX-5Hx9h9Z_Oga?dl=0 [https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8odvk9nwjvtq6g6/AABd85uod6pBX-5Hx9h9Z_Oga?dl=0].

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kanda,

As mentioned in the 1.7 email thread, the cmake application (and possibly the other required packages) aren't installed, so the apt command from README.md should be executed:

sudo apt install libspeexdsp-dev libsamplerate0-dev sox git libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libhamlib-dev libasound2-dev libao-dev libgsm1-dev libsndfile-dev cmake module-assistant build-essential libpulse-dev

Hope that helps! Let me know if you continue to have issues after running the above.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 4:19 AM JH0PCF kanda <hirk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for your constant support.
On Ubuntu https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui [https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui]
I tried to build FreeDV GUI by following the written procedure
Build on Ubuntu Linux (16-20) using PulseAudio.

./build_linux.sh: Line 30: cmake: Command not found
+ cd / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui
+'[''!' -D LPCNet']'
+ cd / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui / LPCNet
+ git checkout master
Already on'master'
Your branch is up to date with'origin / master'.
+ git pull
Already up to date.
+ mkdir -p build_linux
+ cd build_linux
+ rm -Rf'*'
+ cmake -DCODEC2_BUILD_DIR = / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui / codec2 / build_linux ..
./build_linux.sh: Line 39: cmake: Command not found
And cannot be built.
Was there any change?

2022年3月23日水曜日 16:53:18 UTC+9 moo...@gmail.com:

BTW, I have a new build that fixes a voice keyer bug that crept in with the last build up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag9eyap0j2zj56v/AACWEGmw1uQWVojSJlnCDZAfa?dl=0 [https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag9eyap0j2zj56v/AACWEGmw1uQWVojSJlnCDZAfa?dl=0]. :)

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:59 PM Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kanda,

Just to make sure I fully understand, are you saying that the installer doesn't work when you double-click on it? Or is there something else happening?

Also, re: Linux packages, you should be able to install them on a recent Debian or Ubuntu machine by running something similar to the following (after downloading all of the packages and placing them in the same folder):

apt-get install ./freedv_1.8.0_amd64.deb

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 4:32 AM JH0PCF kanda <hirk...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is JH0PCF Kanda.
Thank you for releasing the FreeDV 1.8 version.
This time, my Windows 10 is the released version
I tried installing it on a working computer
Even if you click to start the installation, it will be installed
By the time it starts, unlike the previous program
I feel that it will take a little more time.
It may be a problem only for me.
This time, the Ubuntu / debian package is also released,
About the installation procedure and other necessary packages
I think there is, but can you teach me including it?

2022年3月21日月曜日 14:38:29 UTC+9 moo...@gmail.com:

Hi all,

It's been a bit but here's another 1.8.0 build that has some significant refactoring around TX and RX audio handling (on top of the previous changes to support 2020A and B). Analog mode should hopefully work a bit better as well, especially with the equalizer enabled. Links to Windows and Mac binaries are over at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtzzc0n8vjgdx77/AABrfuR5L3uXAOqoTDGYNGL7a?dl=0 [https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtzzc0n8vjgdx77/AABrfuR5L3uXAOqoTDGYNGL7a?dl=0]. As always, let me know if you have any questions or run into issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 2:43 PM david <da...@rowetel.com> wrote:

Hi Kanda,

These modes are experimental and we are not sure if we will be keeping
them permanently.

A brief explanation of the modes is in the original post (see below).

README_freedv.md has been updated in the Pull Request for the new mode:

https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md [https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md]

Thanks,
David

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/74a14df1f0ae96911b21d537868e9c01dfa6edb4.camel%40rowetel.com [https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/74a14df1f0ae96911b21d537868e9c01dfa6edb4.camel%40rowetel.com].

> [...]

https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md [https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md]

Thanks,
David

On Sat, 2022-02-19 at 01:52 -0800, JH0PCF kanda wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/5cbc2308-9fcc-4a88-b84f-fcf7d1752aa3n%40googlegroups.com [https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/5cbc2308-9fcc-4a88-b84f-fcf7d1752aa3n%40googlegroups.com]
> .

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/74a14df1f0ae96911b21d537868e9c01dfa6edb4.camel%40rowetel.com [https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/74a14df1f0ae96911b21d537868e9c01dfa6edb4.camel%40rowetel.com].

Hi John,

Yep, I'm setting up a 20.04 LTS VM now for this purpose. :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

John LeRoy

Apr 3, 2022, 2:07:58 PM4/3/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mooneer,

Thanks for the builds on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I'm running 1.8.0 devel pulseaudio on Debian 11 right now. I had only to go to the Ubuntu packages site and pick up libhamlib2 3.3-10build1, as Debian does not have that package anywhere

I'm watching the waterfall show me some FT8 on 15 meters.
Pulseaudio direct from the IC-7300 internal codec is clean and stable. The menu choices in FreeDV were easy to understand.

15 meters is open to the USA, EU, Australia during the day from here according to HamCap. But I don't know where to listen or what mode is in use. Is there a web site showing this?

Is there a Parrot built into 1.8.0? When I was setting up Pi-Star DMR, the DMR Parrot was very helpful.

More after I've poked through all the buttons and menus.

73,
John W4JKL

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 11:39 PM <digita...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com>: Mar 30 12:16AM -0700

Hi all,

I have a new build of 1.8.0 available with the following changes:

1. Resolves low quality TX audio issue when Speex is enabled.
2. An experimental "freedv" package that uses PulseAudio has been generated
to go along with the default PortAudio one. This is named
"freedv-pulseaudio". (Note: only one freedv package can be installed at a
time.)

You can download these builds over at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/06i92xteh20ln1b/AABIgpGb0ddmh6qne1qDdMzva?dl=0.
As always, let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ
"Keith Prosser" <gw8...@gmail.com>: Mar 30 11:47AM +0100

hi Mooneer
downloaded ok and ran it did not crash I do more tests later today keep up the good work.
Keith GW8TRO

On 30/03/2022 08:16:39, Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a new build of 1.8.0 available with the following changes:

1. Resolves low quality TX audio issue when Speex is enabled.
2. An experimental "freedv" package that uses PulseAudio has been generated to go along with the default PortAudio one. This is named "freedv-pulseaudio". (Note: only one freedv package can be installed at a time.)

You can download these builds over at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/06i92xteh20ln1b/AABIgpGb0ddmh6qne1qDdMzva?dl=0 [https://www.dropbox.com/sh/06i92xteh20ln1b/AABIgpGb0ddmh6qne1qDdMzva?dl=0]. As always, let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Hi Mooneer,
did few test v sdr and had a comment off GW3OAJ saying that the audio is a lot better in the 4 old modes.
what I found was when I tried 2020 I would have to reboot the prog to get it to work and after the test I would have to reboot again.and the audio was very poor so going to leave 2020 well alone for now did not use it before but 2020 audio was better in early prog.
the new 1.8 was on the two pc one win10 and the other win11 Cess did not say what prog or the computer he was running as he had to get away to take a phone call.

Keith GW8TRO
On 30/03/2022 08:16:39, Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a new build of 1.8.0 available with the following changes:

1. Resolves low quality TX audio issue when Speex is enabled.
2. An experimental "freedv" package that uses PulseAudio has been generated to go along with the default PortAudio one. This is named "freedv-pulseaudio". (Note: only one freedv package can be installed at a time.)

You can download these builds over at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/06i92xteh20ln1b/AABIgpGb0ddmh6qne1qDdMzva?dl=0 [https://www.dropbox.com/sh/06i92xteh20ln1b/AABIgpGb0ddmh6qne1qDdMzva?dl=0]. As always, let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Hi Keith,

I should have a build with the fix for the audio quality issue later
tonight and will email it out when it's ready.

As for Windows 11, I'm still not sure why it doesn't seem to work properly
with Norton while not crashing with the older versions of Windows. If
anything, they should all behave similarly. I'll have to think about it
some more.

Thanks,

-Mooner K6AQ

Brian Morrison <b...@fenrir.org.uk>: Mar 30 01:33PM +0100

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:32:45 +0100

> this is what I found in the history.after I uninstall the new freedv.

That seems very strange, I don't see why freedv.exe would be messing
about with .csv files, I think I would be tempted to exclude freedv.exe
from Norton's control because Norton clearly doesn't seem to know what
it's doing.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Brian w

Apr 3, 2022, 2:18:20 PM4/3/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

: 15 meters is open to the USA, EU, Australia during the day from here according to HamCap. But I don't know where to listen or what mode is in use. Is there a web site showing this?

Look at Psk reporter    https://www.pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAMXZ1MAHQVBobhrY%3DAhY2t3Aw3ik-F9a%2Bens3aUUuWzkfLnRQA%40mail.gmail.com.

Bob Morris

Apr 3, 2022, 2:26:03 PM4/3/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
 Try the QSO finder at  http://qso.freedv.org/
Common frequencies are shown
Your callsign is your login

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAMXZ1MAHQVBobhrY%3DAhY2t3Aw3ik-F9a%2Bens3aUUuWzkfLnRQA%40mail.gmail.com.

Mooneer Salem

Apr 3, 2022, 3:35:42 PM4/3/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

To answer your question regarding Parrot, unfortunately FreeDV doesn't have anything like that built-in at the moment. However, some sort of loopback mechanism that doesn't transmit might be a good idea, so I've noted it as something to consider for future updates.

As for modes, typically 700D or E are used these days, but for RX you can go into Tools->Options->Modem and enable "Simultaneously Decode All HF Modes" (if not already checked). This will allow FreeDV to automatically switch receive modes based on what it picks up over the air. Additionally, it lets you switch transmit mode without having to stop and start the program again so you can easily match what the other person is using (or potentially even use a different mode that's better suited for your individual circumstances).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAMXZ1MAHQVBobhrY%3DAhY2t3Aw3ik-F9a%2Bens3aUUuWzkfLnRQA%40mail.gmail.com.

Siegfried...@freenet.de

Apr 3, 2022, 4:21:43 PM4/3/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Also mode 1600 is used very often
Gives superb quality and does not need a cpu with AVX like the 2020 modes
Maybe we should make a list with  "meeting" qrg for all bands??
Greetz Sigi dg9bfc

Mooneer Salem

Apr 4, 2022, 2:14:52 AM4/4/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com