what Linux distro is most likely to work?

Arthur Ulfeldt

Dec 8, 2021, 11:15:08 PM12/8/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I enjoyed FreeDV a lot several years ago, now when i try it I'm unable to configure the sound devices.  On Archlinux the individual sound cards don't appear in the list, and if i set the input and output in pulse FreeDV thinks the same device is being used for input and output.

I'm setting up a different computer, what Linux distro is most likely to be able to set the sound devices?

Mooneer Salem

Dec 9, 2021, 1:24:17 AM12/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arthur,

Ubuntu 20.04 seems to work okay for me. You can also try the patch I posted previously on the list (https://groups.google.com/g/digitalvoice/c/robpK8BOjfI/m/34k7mOveBgAJ), which will make FreeDV use a version of PortAudio that supports PulseAudio. We're also discussing potentially supporting PulseAudio natively over on GitHub (https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/discussions/191), so any feedback you have is welcome.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM Arthur Ulfeldt <art...@ulfeldt.com> wrote:
I enjoyed FreeDV a lot several years ago, now when i try it I'm unable to configure the sound devices.  On Archlinux the individual sound cards don't appear in the list, and if i set the input and output in pulse FreeDV thinks the same device is being used for input and output.

I'm setting up a different computer, what Linux distro is most likely to be able to set the sound devices?

D Bax

Dec 10, 2021, 11:47:05 AM12/10/21
to digitalvoice
I'm on Ubuntu and didn't know about the patch, but it explains the problems I've been having in getting it set up and not being able to get it to stick to the correct device.

Richard Shaw

Dec 10, 2021, 11:52:45 AM12/10/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 10:47 AM D Bax <dbax...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm on Ubuntu and didn't know about the patch, but it explains the problems I've been having in getting it set up and not being able to get it to stick to the correct device.

I'm biased as probably the only Fedora guy on the development team but I've never had a problem. I just re-setup even though I'm on Fedora 35 with pipewire, but the device list came up fine and I didn't have any issues choosing devices.

Thanks,
Richard