QSO Finder

Rick, WA6III

May 12, 2023, 2:46:29 PM5/12/23
to digitalvoice
Howdy all,

Did the QSO finder move to a different URL ??

Brian Morrison

May 12, 2023, 2:54:13 PM5/12/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Don't think so, but it is unresponsive right now. Maybe someone will
apply a defibrillator.

--

Brian G8SEZ

John D. Hays

May 12, 2023, 2:55:17 PM5/12/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Sorry folks the virtual machine it runs on has kernel panicked and is going to have to be rebuilt.  Unfortunately, I am out of town on business and probably won't get back to it soon. (I may get to it early next week, otherwise it will be after Hamvention.)

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 11:46 AM Rick, WA6III <myr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Howdy all,

Did the QSO finder move to a different URL ??

John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Rick, WA6III

May 12, 2023, 6:20:07 PM5/12/23
to digitalvoice
Thanks for the quick followup John!

73/Rick
WA6III
Buckley, WA

John D. Hays

May 12, 2023, 6:25:51 PM5/12/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
btw - with the help of the folks at Spartan Host, we got a fix to the problem and it should be fixed now.

Rick, WA6III

May 13, 2023, 12:41:58 PM5/13/23
to digitalvoice
Many thanks to John for quickly getting the QSO finder back up!!

wal...@k5wh.net

May 13, 2023, 5:57:45 PM5/13/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

You’re the best John.

All the best..

Walter/K5WH

Rick, WA6III

May 27, 2023, 8:02:35 PM5/27/23
to digitalvoice
Thanks again John for getting the QSO Finder back up so quickly!

One other thing I would like to suggest is that we consider either changing the  preset QSO finder 40m frequency to OTHER THAN 7177 or  (for US contacts) add an additional 40m frequency (s)  in the  7180-7300 range because 7177(&8) (LSB)  is in use by a California Net nearly every afternoon and early evening on the West Coast.

It's the "Mabuhay Net" that is run by a great group of people in the SW and they invite everyone to participate.

Mel (W0PFX) and I had a great 40m FDV contact last week and if we had taken advantage of band conditions earlier, it would have been right in the middle of the Net.

So how about a couple more presets maybe somewhere in the 7180-7200 range (to avoid foreign BC stations)  or possibly at the top at 7299 ?

7185 is is another net frequency that is pretty active nightly (OMISS net)

Anyone have suggestions?

73/Rick
WA6III

John D. Hays

May 27, 2023, 8:12:39 PM5/27/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Frequency suggestions are welcome.

Brian Morrison

May 28, 2023, 5:15:41 AM5/28/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 27 May 2023 17:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
"Rick, WA6III" <myr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So how about a couple more presets maybe somewhere in the 7180-7200
> range (to avoid foreign BC stations) or possibly at the top at 7299 ?
>
> 7185 is is another net frequency that is pretty active nightly (OMISS
> net) https://www.omiss.net/Facelift/
>
> Anyone have suggestions?

The problem with fixed frequencies is that you tend to find SSB
overlapping them quite frequently which makes low SNR contacts
difficult. I think FreeDV users need to be prepared to move a bit to
find an adequately clear spot, in these days of spectrum scopes and
waterfalls it's not too difficult.

For US stations, or indeed outside Region 1 and 3, above 7.2MHz is fine
but if there is 40m propagation over longer distances it's going to
make DX working tricky :)

You can of course enter your own frequency on the QSO Finder page.

Note that the QSO Finder is a great resource, but there is also an
upcoming FreeDV Reporter feature (probably widely available in the next
freedv-gui release) which offers some useful additional features and
will probably gain more in time.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Rick, WA6III

May 28, 2023, 4:10:47 PM5/28/23
to digitalvoice
Brian, I do agree with your points and while 7177 is probably a pretty good frequency for outside the US, it's probably good that we have a couple of other "suggested" 40m frequencies for domestic use when the band is not open world-wide.  In the US that would include 7200-7300.

Although I operate FreeDV from 7125 to 7175, (7125, 7126, 7177 USB),  I would avoid suggesting frequencies below 7177 because it would exclude all of the (US) General Class operators.

This may be for the most part moot,  once FreeDV 1.8.10+ with the FreeDV "reporter" becomes the main version being used. I assume  the site with the mode/frequency reporting/chat will become the default.

I am in Washington State in the Pacific NW and I frequently see stations "parked" on 7177 in the MidWest and East in the late afternoon/evening (West Coast time)  but I do not attempt to transmit because of the Net on 7178 that's there almost every evening

The last thing I want is to antagonize anyone with a FreeDV signal right in the middle of their SSB Net or QSO !!

Cheers,

Rick

James Madden

May 28, 2023, 4:51:50 PM5/28/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I use so many digital modes and the frequencies are different for each one. One thing I like very much is being able to select the frequency for a particular application within the app, so I don't have to create a physical document detailing what frequency to use. So, whatever freq is decided on for FreeDV, it would be great if that freq could be selected inside the app, and the app would tune the radio to that freq.
Jim

Michael Lizzio

May 28, 2023, 5:33:39 PM5/28/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
James,

With the 7300 I use the FLRig program to get the functionality you seek with your PC mouse..

I can put something together by late next week if you would like to try it. Here are some screenshots of my configuration.
Mike WA2TOP

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

wal...@k5wh.net

May 28, 2023, 6:30:03 PM5/28/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

We were talking with Mooneer about this very thing as well, earlier.

Indeed it would be a great time saver to point and click, to go right to the freq.

For the past 10+ years, 14.236 has been where 99.9999% of all activity has been accomplished, due to the broad coverage of 20 meters.

But with the more recent activity around the globe, there is certainly the greater need to spread out more.

Mooneer just added another NEW feature to the FreeDV Reporter, that shows the suggested frequency list for now, similar to what is on the QSO Finder.

If your on the page already, just do a page refresh to see the update.

So many thanks to Mooneer for continuing to add great little updates, all the time.

Walter/K5WH

May 29, 2023, 12:14:06 AM5/29/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike. Yes I would like to try that.
Jim WD7W

James Madden

May 29, 2023, 12:49:38 AM5/29/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I've installed FLrig 1.4.7 and configured it as you showed. It seems to be working well, so far. One area of the config on my FLrig is different than what you showed for PTT config. Screen Shot below.
thanks,
Jim WD7W
image.png

Mooneer Salem

May 29, 2023, 6:22:51 PM5/29/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

If you don't mind building FreeDV yourself, I have some initial code to automatically adjust the radio if the frequency is changed over at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/405. There are also some UI changes to be able to show the common frequencies (as currently listed on FreeDV Reporter and the QSO Finder) as per the example screenshot below:

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 3.19.21 PM.png

(The QO-100 frequency is also there but snipped from the above screenshot.)

Currently it seems to work on the Flex 6300 but I also plan on testing on some other radios I have here that don't have separate VFOs before I'm confident enough to merge this. However, if you can test on such radios before I can, definitely let me know if there are any issues!

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Michael Lizzio

May 29, 2023, 7:07:32 PM5/29/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
James,

I'm not sure what's different with "Other" but it should not affect FreeDV because it's not being used.

Here are some of the advantages for using FLRig with radios like the 7300:
  • The Mode & Filter can be saved in memory
  • When switching to 40M the LSB-D mode is automatically selected if saved in memory.
  • If you want to change FreeDv to the higher Bandwidth modes like 2020 you can select the filter from the drop down in FLRig which is much easier than doing it from the radio.
  • FLRig can automatically turn on & off your radio from a FLRig program Start or Stop.
  • You can run other programs with FreeDV concurrently. For example you can run FreeDV with WSJT-X without reconfiguring com ports or stopping and starting each program.
image.png

That's just some of the useful features that I have found to be quite useful.

Have fun.

Mike WA2TOP

Rick, WA6III

Jun 2, 2023, 6:21:36 PM6/2/23
to digitalvoice
Just an FYI for everyone on the West Coast 7299.0 kHz (ensure you are using LSB data to stay in the band!! otherwise, make it 7297 or so)  also seems to be a good one for Western US use when 40M is ripe for NVIS and other short range propagation.

There appears to be very few if any SSB stations that operate there.  Occasionally, AM users will operate on 7293. and there is a nationwide group that uses 7296 USB for vintage commercial/military equipment (because much of that gear only operates on USB.........I would hope that all Amateurs would be willing to standardize someday with the rest of the HF communications "world" by using USB everywhere....There's no practical reason to use LSB for voice communications anymore......But I digress.....

Also, as an aside, as is very common for MAY/June, 6m has been opening during the day and evening on the west coast .  How about we pick a frequency between 50.150 and 50.200 MHz as a starting point?

73/Rick
WA6III