FreeDV v1.8.10 released

Mooneer Salem

Jun 1, 2023, 2:55:39 AM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net, ham-radio-...@groups.io
Hi all,

Version 1.8.10 has been released! This release contains the following content:

1. Build system:
    * Minimum required Codec2 version bumped up to 1.1.0. (PR #383)
    * Disable libusb support for Hamlib on all platforms, not just Windows. (PR #387)
    * Build Hamlib as a dynamic library on Windows and macOS. (PR #395)
2. Bugfixes:
    * Fix incorrect assertion causing crash on certain systems without a microphone. (PR #384)
    * Shrink sliders so that the Filter window can fit on a 720p display. (PR #386, #396)
    * Hamlib: use RIG_VFO_CURR if explicit VFO doesn't work. (PR #385, #400)
    * Fix various misspellings in codebase. (PR #392)
    * Prevent Start/Stop button from being pressed twice in a row during shutdown. (PR #399)
3. Enhancements:
    * Add last received SNR to callsign list. (PR #389, #391)
    * Add support for FreeDV Reporter web-based tool. (PR #390, #402, #404)
    * Defer sound device checking until Start is pushed. (PR #393)
    * Add ability for Hamlib to use RTS/DTR instead of CAT for PTT. (PR #394)
    * Automatically change radio frequency if the reporting frequency changes. (PR #405)

More information and download links can be found at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/releases/tag/v1.8.10.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2023, 7:13:56 AM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 31 May 2023 23:55:24 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Version 1.8.10 has been released!
<snip>

> -Mooneer K6AQ

Huge kudos to Mooneer for this release and the supporting code and
infrastructure behind it, a big step forward for FreeDV.

Mooneer, please accept my thanks for all the work you have done on this
release (and all the others before it).

--

Brian G8SEZ

Randy Ralphs

Jun 1, 2023, 11:22:43 AM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Mooneer,

Maybe just my rig but every time I switch frequency using the new drop down menu it switches my mode to CW.

    Randy KB0NAV

Mooneer Salem

Jun 1, 2023, 11:45:52 AM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

What rig are you using? Does enabling the "Use USB/LSB instead of DIGU/DIGL" option in Tools->Options (in the Rig Control tab) change its behavior for you?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Randy Ralphs

Jun 1, 2023, 11:49:38 AM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Mooneer,

Rig is a FT-991A which doesn't have a digital mode but clicking "Use USB/LSB" fixed it....

    Thanks Randy

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2023, 2:01:25 PM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:49:33 +0000
Randy Ralphs <randy....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mooneer,
>
> Rig is a FT-991A which doesn't have a digital mode but clicking "Use
> USB/LSB" fixed it....

This should be reported to the Hamlib developers, I've just looked at
the ft991.c file from the latest Hamlib git version and it doesn't show
any pure data modes as you say, but there are RTTY_DATA modes shown so
asking for one should return an appropriate response instead of
selecting the wrong mode.

You can raise this as an issue here:

https://github.com/Hamlib/Hamlib/issues

--

Brian G8SEZ

Randy Ralphs

Jun 1, 2023, 3:02:31 PM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I would say not, you can't send digital voice over RTTY.

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2023, 5:11:52 PM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:02:27 +0000
Randy Ralphs <randy....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would say not, you can't send digital voice over RTTY.

OK, I think it's a naming issue, and I should have said ft991.h which
is the file containing the modes. ft991.c actually holds the filter/mode
settings, for some reason they are named like this:

/* mode/filter list, .remember = order matters! */
.filters = {
{FT991_RTTY_DATA_RX_MODES, Hz(500)}, /* Normal RTTY, DATA */

This is part of the ft991.h file:

/* Receiver caps */

#define FT991_ALL_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_AM|RIG_MODE_CW|RIG_MODE_CWR|RIG_MODE_SSB|\
RIG_MODE_RTTY|RIG_MODE_RTTYR|RIG_MODE_PKTLSB|RIG_MODE_PKTUSB|RIG_MODE_PKTFM|\
RIG_MODE_C4FM|RIG_MODE_FM|RIG_MODE_AMN|RIG_MODE_FMN)
#define FT991_SSB_CW_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_CW|RIG_MODE_CWR|RIG_MODE_SSB|\
RIG_MODE_RTTY|RIG_MODE_RTTYR|RIG_MODE_PKTLSB|RIG_MODE_PKTUSB)
#define FT991_AM_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_AM|RIG_MODE_AMN)
#define FT991_FM_WIDE_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_FM|RIG_MODE_PKTFM|RIG_MODE_C4FM)
#define FT991_FM_RX_MODES (FT991_FM_WIDE_RX_MODES|RIG_MODE_FMN)
#define FT991_CW_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_CW|RIG_MODE_CWR)
#define FT991_RTTY_DATA_RX_MODES
(RIG_MODE_RTTY|RIG_MODE_RTTYR|RIG_MODE_PKTUSB|RIG_MODE_PKTLSB)

As you can see there are SSB and CW modes with PKT in their names, which
implies that these are data modes (named when packet radio was all the
rage I suppose).

I think a question for Mike W9MDB would be useful, this is just the
sort of issue that he needs to get under control in hamlib as too many
people are finding weird problems like this.

FYI when freedv sends a data mode-switch to my TS-890 it sets it into
data mode, definitely not CW. The command sent is a hamlib command, the
hamlib code then translates into into the rig-specific commands sent
over the USB cable.

I could report this via github, it's just that I don't have any Yaesu HF
radios so I can't actually test what happens with any changes Mike
makes to try and fix it.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 1, 2023, 5:20:54 PM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
FreeDV passes RIG_MODE_PKTUSB, RIG_MODE_PKTLSB and RIG_MODE_PKTFM (the latter of which is used when using 2400B on 2 meters and above) to hamlib when not in Analog mode. In my own testing thus far (Flex 6300 and Icom IC-705), the radios seemed to behave as expected. Of course, some prefer to use regular USB, LSB and FM instead when not in Analog mode, so the option is there to do so in Tools->Options->Rig Control.

Re: Yaesu--I do have a FT-817 I can test with as well but I'm not sure how much value there'd be in doing so given that the 991A is much newer.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2023, 5:33:16 PM6/1/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:20:39 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FreeDV passes RIG_MODE_PKTUSB, RIG_MODE_PKTLSB and RIG_MODE_PKTFM

The ft991.h file contains at least the first two such mode strings:

#define FT991_SSB_CW_RX_MODES (RIG_MODE_CW|RIG_MODE_CWR|RIG_MODE_SSB|\
RIG_MODE_RTTY|RIG_MODE_RTTYR|RIG_MODE_PKTLSB|RIG_MODE_PKTUSB)

and also RIG_MODE_PKTFM as well.

> Re: Yaesu--I do have a FT-817 I can test with as well but I'm not
> sure how much value there'd be in doing so given that the 991A is
> much newer.
>
> -Mooneer K6AQ

I think it probably won't help much, I have one as well but can't
easily test it right now.

I think Mike W9MDB would like to know why this radio selects the wrong
mode when sent a command that it should interpret correctly, I think
this has to be a hamlib bug.

Randy, you can stick to the workaround for now until this gets fixed.
Would you prefer that I report it? I'll post a link to the report here
if I do.

--

Brian G8SEZ

JH0PCF kanda

Jun 2, 2023, 6:34:54 AM6/2/23
to digitalvoice
About the FreeDV 1.8.10 release

This is Kanda from JH0PCF.
In version 1.8.10 the report frequency is
It will be a drop down menu
Frequency is fixed.
In Japan, FreeDV communication is
Because it may be performed with a frequency that is not in the drop-down frequency list,
If it is fixed, it will be inconvenient for operation.
Also, the mode will switch to DATA mode, so
I am puzzled by the changes from 1.8.10-devel.

Is it possible to make it a stable version while still in a state like 1.8.10-devel?
thank you.

2023年6月1日木曜日 15:55:39 UTC+9 Mooneer Salem:

Mooneer Salem

Jun 2, 2023, 12:21:54 PM6/2/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kanda,

It's actually possible to manually enter a frequency by clicking on the drop-down list and typing the desired frequency. Once you push Enter, the change should reflect on the radio as well. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Re: data mode--like other data-type modes, it's recommended that all processing is disabled on the radio for FreeDV. Data mode is an easy way to ensure this if the radio has such. If you prefer to use regular USB and LSB mode instead, you can go to Tools->Options->Rig Control and select "Use USB/LSB instead of DIGU/DIGL".

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Jun 2, 2023, 6:04:53 PM6/2/23
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,  The "Release" version is working well on my Old HP WIN10 laptop!  The previous pre-release(1.8.9.10xxxx) was evidently having severe hamlib issues and all I got was multiple hamlib errors and some very strange USB/comport problems with the same laptop. For a while, I thought it was a hardware problem with the laptop itself

All seems well now!!

73/Rick
WA6III

Rick, WA6III

Jun 3, 2023, 4:08:50 PM6/3/23
to digitalvoice
Mooneer,

So far, 1.8.10.1 is working flawlessly!   Thanks again!

I have a suggestion for an enhancement.   Currently we have no way to contact someone on the active list to change frequencies, unless they happen to be looking at the "Chat" tab.

Since most of the computers that are running FreeDV are also connected to the internet, how about a short messaging system that will allow one user to send a "connect" request to another even though that person is on an different band.?

For example, I am currently on 40M all ready to go and would like another station in the Pacific NW who is currently receiving on 14236.  Right now, 14236 is not very usable in the PNW because people are talking on SSB.

I am in Washington State and I see another station in Oregon that I know is within propagation distance,   I would send him an email , but like many people, he has no posted email address in the callsign databases.

If the software had some sort of P2P (obviously internet based)  messaging capability, it would be easy to get someone to switch bands frequencies etc.

I do not know what this could look like and it doesn't even have to be "free text".  It could be any sort of notification alerting the other operator that someone wants him to switch freq or band etc...

Anyone else like this sort of feature?

CHeers,

Rick
WA6III

Mooneer Salem

Jun 5, 2023, 2:00:51 AM6/5/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

This actually sounds like it'd be pretty useful. I'd have it so that you have to kick off the request from the FreeDV application, though; based on how FreeDV Reporter works, there's not really a way to link someone who's logged into the chat to a running instance. This will probably need a new window in the application that closely mimics the "Active Stations" tab in FreeDV Reporter, too.

Anyway, any other feedback on something like this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 5, 2023, 1:00:49 PM6/5/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 23:00:36 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> This actually sounds like it'd be pretty useful. I'd have it so that
> you have to kick off the request from the FreeDV application, though;
> based on how FreeDV Reporter works, there's not really a way to link
> someone who's logged into the chat to a running instance. This will
> probably need a new window in the application that closely mimics the
> "Active Stations" tab in FreeDV Reporter, too.
>
> Anyway, any other feedback on something like this would be
> appreciated.

I added a comment to the freedv-gui issue, it would be useful to have a
list of those logged in on the chat tab, it's not easy to find that in
the joined/left entries.

--

Brian G8SEZ