FreeDV and the Kenwood TS-990S

Mooneer Salem

Apr 15, 2024, 1:23:49 AMApr 15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just curious if there's anyone here that either (a) owns a Kenwood TS-990S or (b) knows someone that does. I'm currently trying to help another user get FreeDV fully working with his; right now CAT control and receive is working, but transmitting results in no power out. (WSJT-X works with AFAIK the same settings.)

Anyway, if you did happen to get FreeDV working with one, any suggestions on radio settings to check/try would be good. Or if you're someone else who's having trouble with one, I'd definitely like to talk to you off-list to see if we can possibly work through what the problem could be (either over Zoom et al. or potentially in-person if you live in Southern California).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

MJ Inabnit

Apr 15, 2024, 8:30:30 PMApr 15
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, you need to put the radio into DATA mode. Button just left of the
VFO knob. Once in data mode, the radio speaks wonderful digidy :)

73

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Mooneer Salem

Apr 16, 2024, 3:00:20 AMApr 16
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, the radio was in DATA1. We even tried the "Use USB/LSB instead of DIGU/DIGL" option in FreeDV (which didn't make a difference). I was thinking that it was maybe taking audio from the microphone plugged into the radio or something but I would have expected a couple of watts or so of output while talking (whereas it sounded like there was no output at all).

Anyway, it sounds like FreeDV does work for you with the TS-990S, right?

-Mooneer K6AQ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/0b537bfe-a1ea-456a-7306-f879e991c562%40pobox.com.

Siegfried Jackstien

Apr 16, 2024, 4:11:44 AMApr 16
to digita...@googlegroups.com
mic needs to be pc mic into one soundcard and out to rig on another soundcard .. and then to acc connector to the audio in of the rig... on some modern rigs there is one soundcard inside the rig and that can be selected instead the second SC in the setup above....
hth
dg9bfc Sigi
PS receive is other way around but also needs TWO soundcards .. one from rig to pc and one from pc to speaker

Brian Morrison

Apr 16, 2024, 10:09:33 AMApr 16
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 00:00:02 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly, the radio *was* in DATA1. We even tried the "Use
> USB/LSB instead of DIGU/DIGL" option in FreeDV (which didn't make a
> difference). I was thinking that it was maybe taking audio from the
> microphone plugged into the radio or something but I would have
> expected a couple of watts or so of output while talking (whereas it
> sounded like there was no output at all).

Press and hold the DATA button to get the modulation SEL menu, it's
possible that something is not set up correctly in the audio input
routing. I expect it is similar to my TS-890, but there could be
differences I am not familiar with.

--

Brian G8SEZ

MJ Inabnit

Apr 16, 2024, 5:07:16 PMApr 16
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I have the later 590sg and it works fantastic. I only use Linux here,
so I can't really help with other OS's. However, the op will need to
set the audio drive in the digital menu setting -- there in INPUT/OUTPUT
settings. Check the manual and verify you have these set at a
reasonable output.

I also use hamlibs which handles the radio CAT etc.

I know there are some differences between the two rigs, but I am quite
certain the radio works fine with this or any other digital software.

Tnx & 73

On 4/16/24 12:00 AM, Mooneer Salem wrote:
> Interestingly, the radio /was/ in DATA1. We even tried the "Use USB/LSB
> <mailto:digitalvoice%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:digitalvoice...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:digitalvoice%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxOBLZJcGKjYLWNaTpvCO3cgpcm4b3SCeqciKtwzbJZhjg%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxOBLZJcGKjYLWNaTpvCO3cgpcm4b3SCeqciKtwzbJZhjg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
>
> wishing you well
> Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/0b537bfe-a1ea-456a-7306-f879e991c562%40pobox.com.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxME8qp7LASkg89heb6wokvYuyfbd_%2B%2B_u6%2Bf6F1YpRW%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxME8qp7LASkg89heb6wokvYuyfbd_%2B%2B_u6%2Bf6F1YpRW%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Denis Bois

Apr 16, 2024, 6:06:31 PMApr 16
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Managed to get my TS-590SG transmitting a signal when I switched from CAT controls to Omnirig. Up till that point, CAT control worked fine EXCEPT no signal was transmitted.

Denis / VE3OOZ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/d5a0d938-cd1b-8fab-86e5-a57722c04704%40pobox.com.