Fwd: ezDV is back in stock

Mooneer Salem

Jul 21, 2024, 11:48:49 AM (6 days ago) Jul 21
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Figured I'd let you guys know as well. TAPR has a blog post (https://tapr.org/ezdv-back-in-stock-briefly/) indicating that they've sold about half of this run so far, so now would be a good time to get one if you've had any interest in it. :)

-Mooneer K6AQ

Jul 21, 2024, 11:51:23 PM (5 days ago) Jul 21
to digitalvoice
Thanks Mooneer!  I have one coming!  Although I will have to figure out which radio to use with it!  My IC705 is blowing fuses and will no longer transmit so it's going to Kirklandia next week!

I wonder if I could use the EZDV with my ICOM IC-M802?  I guess I would need something like a SignaLink USB and maybe a CT17 or other  level convertor to control the M802!

Mooneer Salem

Jul 22, 2024, 9:43:51 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Unfortunately, the USB-C port on ezDV only supports charging and firmware updates. If there's ever a ezDV 2.0, one thing that's on the list is to allow it to act as a USB host (to permit plugging in radios via USB).

Anyway, I'd suggest building a cable for the 3.5mm "radio" connector for your M802. More information about the wiring for that connector can be found in the User's Guide (https://tmiw.github.io/ezDV/#radios-without-wi-fi-support).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

Jul 22, 2024, 12:36:42 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to digitalvoice
I suppose I have shown my ignorance of the instructions!

I had the idea I was needed some sort of USB audio device.  It didn't initially occur to me that the EZDV device can be connected via audio in/out cables to any radio!

I suppose I could even hook it up to my Drake C-line and after getting it all stabilized (if that's even possible)..... I could use the EZDV web interface to see a "waterfall" for tuning?  (I'd probably have to keep my hand on the VFO for that!!)

Rick, W4XA

Jul 22, 2024, 8:37:50 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to digitalvoice
And again I show my ignorance of the system.  It appears that there is no "waterfall" display available in the web interface? (would that even be possible?)

Mooneer Salem

Jul 22, 2024, 8:52:03 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Correct, there is no waterfall display available. I'm not sure one can be added but would some other way to show the frequency offset be helpful?

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

Jul 22, 2024, 9:05:35 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to digitalvoice
Yes.  Any sort of analog tuning aid would help immensely!  While it probably isn't practical trying to get it to work using an older analog tube type radio, a fair amount of 90's and maybe newer radios do not have "perfect" frequency control/readout.

And believe me if there's a way for me to try it with my Drake C-Line or my old TR-4C, I'll try it just to see if it can be done!!

Mooneer Salem

Jul 23, 2024, 12:50:21 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Perhaps something like the "Stats" view in the regular FreeDV application but on the web interface instead? Or is there some other way to show this information that would be better (that doesn't involve coding up a waterfall display)? There could also be a way to retune the center of the FreeDV signal on the web interface in the same vein, but I'm not sure this is critical since one could just turn the VFO and/or RIT/XIT too.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

Jul 23, 2024, 3:29:19 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to digitalvoice
Well, I don't think a "waterfall" or other type of graphical display would be required but maybe something like a center-zero meter display that would respond to slight frequency changes +/- etc that would make it easy to "get on frequency" with an analog transmitter or one that maybe doesn't have perfect frequency control.  There's not a lot of radios out there that are very far off frequency but I do talk to some people with late 90's gear that might be 30-50Hz off frequency.  It would seem that FreeDV might not sync at 30-50Hz off?

Rick, W4XA

Jul 25, 2024, 3:10:14 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to digitalvoice
Got my new EZDV a couple of days ago!

Nice job Mooneer!!

Now all I need is a radio to try it with!!

Ed Marciniak

Jul 25, 2024, 5:01:09 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to digita...@googlegroups.com
My 2 cents worth…if sync isn’t robust enough to tolerate a hundred to 150 hertz offset, then the sync detection should auto-tune. Call it feature parity with the ability for a human to tolerate some offset on SSB transmissions.

Since the detection bandwidth doesn’t increase, there’s no negative signal to noise penalty so long as the filter tracks.

As far as trying to use a USB host interface to connect a radio, I suspect it would be a relative nightmare to deal with USB composite devices exposing audio plus one or more serial ports. I say that from the perspective of seeing how much time and resources embedded USB development can consume.

Upside: you could have the DV tune the radio to zero beat the last good transmission when you talk after listening to a good decode. Some logic would be required to ensure you don’t keep drifting up or down unless you move VFO on radio or a CAT interface intentionally more than say 50 hz to reset a state machine.

73,
Ed
NB0M

Jul 26, 2024, 6:37:30 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 26
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

I'm still not sure about having RX/TX frequency be adjustable in the web interface. This seems like something that might be already doable by adjusting your rig's RIT/XIT (though there are likely some radios where these don't exist).

That said, I did mock out some web interface changes to support at least reporting the frequency offset. Basically there would be a new tab called "System Status" with the sync status and a running average of the frequency offset:

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 3.31.54 PM.png

(for instance, if the other person is transmitting on 14235.900 kHz and you're on 14236 kHz, offset would be reported as -100)

Anyway, let me know if you have any feedback about this. The nice thing is that this can also be extended to show e.g. IP address information and radio connection status.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 26, 2024, 6:39:09 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 26
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

FWIW in some really quick informal testing, I seem to be able to get sync when the other signal is around 100 Hz or so off frequency. The lock isn't as good as if it was closer to being on frequency, of course, but that should be enough to do further fine tuning (especially with an indication of the frequency offset in the web interface).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, W4XA

1:51 AM (9 hours ago) 1:51 AM
to digitalvoice
Instead of RX/TX in the interface, I was referring to some sort of basic feedback of how far a signal might be off frequency....

If I am using the actual software, I think I can slowly tune across a 700D (or any)  signal and see how it "moves" within the waterfall,  sort of "walking" the receiver "on-frequency"

That would also work with an analog VFO and assuming the transmitter tracks the receiver, one would be fairly close when transmitting.

With the EZDV, there is no waterfall of course.

So could there be some other tuning aid that would allow the same process. I. E. slowly tuning across a signal and when crossing the point where the processor begins to decode, possibly a "meter" (I do not mean analog meter )  or row of LED's , etc would begin to indicate approaching the "center-frequency" ?

Maybe I am asking for something that is just not worth doing!  (I get that)   Just thinking out loud here.....

Mooneer Salem

11:15 AM (2 minutes ago) 11:15 AM
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Do you mean something on ezDV itself that would show this so you wouldn't need to go into the web interface? Unfortunately I'm not sure that's completely workable as there are only four LEDs that can be manipulated (and there would need to be a way to switch the LEDs from their normal operation into "tuning" mode and back again). The bigger issue is probably the lack of LEDs as the indication would be pretty coarse (one LED = 50 Hz for example).

Another option is probably some sort of audio tone that plays in the background when enabled by the user via some combination of button presses. For instance, 100 Hz down could result in, say, a 500 Hz tone playing while 100 Hz up could be a 1000 Hz tone (exact min/max frequencies TBD). The tone's frequency would adjust dynamically while you're tuning and if you're right on target, it could either be 750 Hz (or whatever the midpoint ends up being) tone or possibly no tone at all.

Of course, if the web interface is okay to use, there are various other options (including "LEDs" that render on the page).

(BTW while mocking up the web UI changes the other day, I found a Codec2 bug that prevents the frequency offset from being exposed to ezDV. We'll have to figure out whether this is to be fixed before we can proceed further.)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ