Experimental FreeDV 1.8.0 builds now available

Mooneer Salem

Feb 12, 2022, 2:18:17 PM2/12/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com, freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi all,

There are experimental FreeDV 1.8.0 builds now available that introduce two new possible modes as well as modifications to the existing 2020 mode. From the updated user manual:

1. Compression (clipping) of the 2020x modem waveforms has been added, which is worth about 4dB. This should also improve the original FreeDV 2020 mode.  The Clipping checkbox is located on Tools-Options-Modem.  As per the other warnings in this manual please make sure you transmitter can handle the higher RMS power.

2. 2020A uses the same waveform as 2020, but an unequal error protection scheme. The most important 11 bits of the 52 bit LPCNet codec payload are heavily protected, the other bits not protected at all. This changes the "slope" of the speech quality against SNR curve. Compared to 2020, it may work (with poor speech quality) at lower SNRs, but still have a few audible errors even at higher SNRs.

3. 2020B is like 700E to 700D - it works with fast fading but requires a few more dB of SNR. This will make it usable in European Winter (or over the South Pole Argentina to Australia) type channels - if you have enough SNR. The challenge with this mode is squeezing all the information we need (enough pilots symbols for fast fading, LPCNet, FEC bits) into a 2100 Hz channel - we are pushing up again the edges of many SSB filters. It also uses unequal FEC, just the most important 11 bits are protected, but not as well as 2020A.

Note that these modes may or may not be included in future releases depending on how well they perform in live on the air use. Multi-RX is also disabled for 2020A and 2020B; selecting those modes before pushing Start will cause FreeDV to only decode the selected mode. Comments and other feedback would definitely be appreciated.

Having said all of that, Windows and macOS builds are available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qbkt4hq32e3wx4b/AACvuWyJPkYOmeR_1V4e4rV6a?dl=0 and for those on Linux, the pull request at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/211 can be built to get these modes.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

malc...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2022, 5:41:12 PM2/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

FreeDV is and always will be a pain in the preverbal backside, with glee I thought, at last an update that might actually work…..  if only my PC would load it, thinking it was a unsigned virus…. It wouldn’t….    3/10  must try harder.

Cheers

Mooneer Salem

Feb 17, 2022, 6:11:26 PM2/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
This is unfortunately not uncommon with other ham radio applications (VARA, for instance, off the top of my head). While it can be annoying, this can be bypassed by clicking on "More Info" followed by "Run Anyway" in the dialog box that appears when you attempt to run the installer. Alternatively, you can right-click on the file, choose Properties and check the Unblock checkbox as shown below:

image.png

I will admit, though, that I haven't looked too closely yet at getting the installer packages signed. From my initial research it seems that doing so may make this occur less often, if not eliminate it altogether. Submitting the installer via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission may also help, especially if multiple people do it (FWIW, I looked on my local machine and Microsoft seems to be blocking it solely because it came from the internet, not because of any specific malware it falsely detected. As MS needs the exact malware/virus reported by Windows Defender, I'm not able to do it here.)

Anyway, hopefully this helps others with a similar issue.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Feb 17, 2022, 6:18:43 PM2/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
BTW, https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/issues/213 has been created for further discussion and tracking of this concern. If you have a GitHub account, comments and other feedback would be appreciated.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Bob Morris

Feb 17, 2022, 6:55:37 PM2/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
If you are using Windows 10, you can click past the warning and load anyway.

JH0PCF kanda

Feb 19, 2022, 4:52:43 AM2/19/22
to digitalvoice
Thank you for your continued support.
This is JH0PCF Kanda.

FreeDV Ver1.8.0 is about to be newly added
About each mode of 2020A and 2020B
What kind of design is it designed for?

As for the information you want
https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/master/README_freedv.md
In
FreeDV HF Modes
These are designed for use with a HF SSB radio.
I would like information on each new mode of 2020A 2020B.

Japanese amateur radio stations to operate a new mode of FreeDV
It is possible to apply for specifications to the ministry that has jurisdiction over radio wave administration and operate without permission.
Because it cannot be done. I want information that can be used as a reference.
I'm sure you're busy, but I'd appreciate it if you could respond.

2022年2月13日日曜日 4:18:17 UTC+9 moo...@gmail.com:

david

Feb 19, 2022, 5:43:52 PM2/19/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kanda,

These modes are experimental and we are not sure if we will be keeping
them permanently.

A brief explanation of the modes is in the original post (see below).

README_freedv.md has been updated in the Pull Request for the new mode:

https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md

Thanks,
David
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/5cbc2308-9fcc-4a88-b84f-fcf7d1752aa3n%40googlegroups.com
> .

Mooneer Salem

Mar 21, 2022, 1:38:29 AM3/21/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's been a bit but here's another 1.8.0 build that has some significant refactoring around TX and RX audio handling (on top of the previous changes to support 2020A and B). Analog mode should hopefully work a bit better as well, especially with the equalizer enabled. Links to Windows and Mac binaries are over at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtzzc0n8vjgdx77/AABrfuR5L3uXAOqoTDGYNGL7a?dl=0. As always, let me know if you have any questions or run into issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

JH0PCF kanda

Mar 21, 2022, 7:32:19 AM3/21/22
to digitalvoice
This is JH0PCF Kanda.
Thank you for releasing the FreeDV 1.8 version.
This time, my Windows 10 is the released version
I tried installing it on a working computer
Even if you click to start the installation, it will be installed
By the time it starts, unlike the previous program
I feel that it will take a little more time.
It may be a problem only for me.
This time, the Ubuntu / debian package is also released,
About the installation procedure and other necessary packages
I think there is, but can you teach me including it?

2022年3月21日月曜日 14:38:29 UTC+9 moo...@gmail.com:

wal...@k5wh.net

Mar 21, 2022, 9:42:22 AM3/21/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks as always Mooneer…

Walter/K5WH

Mooneer Salem

Mar 23, 2022, 3:00:02 AM3/23/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kanda,

Just to make sure I fully understand, are you saying that the installer doesn't work when you double-click on it? Or is there something else happening?

Also, re: Linux packages, you should be able to install them on a recent Debian or Ubuntu machine by running something similar to the following (after downloading all of the packages and placing them in the same folder):

apt-get install ./freedv_1.8.0_amd64.deb

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Mar 23, 2022, 3:53:18 AM3/23/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I have a new build that fixes a voice keyer bug that crept in with the last build up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag9eyap0j2zj56v/AACWEGmw1uQWVojSJlnCDZAfa?dl=0. :)

-Mooneer K6AQ
Message has been deleted

Mooneer Salem

Mar 23, 2022, 10:57:13 AM3/23/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kanda,

As mentioned in the 1.7 email thread, the cmake application (and possibly the other required packages) aren't installed, so the apt command from README.md should be executed:

sudo apt install libspeexdsp-dev libsamplerate0-dev sox git libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libhamlib-dev libasound2-dev libao-dev libgsm1-dev libsndfile-dev cmake module-assistant build-essential libpulse-dev

Hope that helps! Let me know if you continue to have issues after running the above.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 4:19 AM JH0PCF kanda <hirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your constant support.
On Ubuntu https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui
I tried to build FreeDV GUI by following the written procedure
Build on Ubuntu Linux (16-20) using PulseAudio.

./build_linux.sh: Line 30: cmake: Command not found
+ cd / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui
+'[''!' -D LPCNet']'
+ cd / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui / LPCNet
+ git checkout master
Already on'master'
Your branch is up to date with'origin / master'.
+ git pull
Already up to date.
+ mkdir -p build_linux
+ cd build_linux
+ rm -Rf'*'
+ cmake -DCODEC2_BUILD_DIR = / home / hiroyuki / freedv-gui / codec2 / build_linux ..
./build_linux.sh: Line 39: cmake: Command not found
And cannot be built.
Was there any change?

2022年3月23日水曜日 16:53:18 UTC+9 moo...@gmail.com:

Mooneer Salem

Mar 24, 2022, 2:35:01 PM3/24/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

During testing yesterday, I discovered a crash when using a headset set to a different sample rate than the radio's sound card. I made new builds to resolve this issue and placed them at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8odvk9nwjvtq6g6/AABd85uod6pBX-5Hx9h9Z_Oga?dl=0.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Barry Theodore

Mar 24, 2022, 7:23:02 PM3/24/22
to digitalvoice
I don't know about other members but to me this is getting very confusing with all of the updates and version being 1.8.0, surely they could be 1.8.1, 1.8.2....; etc which would make it easier to setup on your computer as each one would install in a different folder, I am talking Windows and would make it easier to go back to an older version of required. You could even add an extra digit ie" 1.8.0.1, 1.8.0.2 and then we could refer to the version we are running by the last digit instead of the generic 1.8.0 which could be any version. Just a suggestion. Yes, I still have to do the description on how to use SDR's with FreeDV.
Regards
Barry VK3BRT

Mooneer Salem

Mar 25, 2022, 4:10:34 AM3/25/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the input. In the past, the test builds have been suffixed with "devel" and the commit ID, which probably did help with keeping the builds straight. I reenabled that in the current test code for future builds based on this code to hopefully reduce confusion in the future.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Keith Prosser

Mar 25, 2022, 3:53:26 PM3/25/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
Hi Mooner,
Just tried running the latest 1.8 and it will not run with the Norton Security, it will run the earlier version of 1.8.
Keith GW8TRO

david

Mar 25, 2022, 4:51:17 PM3/25/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is a good idea.

Using the Git Hash (commit ID - 1d741e4c at the time of writing) is how
we manage configuration control internally amongst developers. It's
available at run time from the Help-About dialog, and as Mooneer
suggests below can be included in the installer file name.

- David

Mooneer Salem

Mar 25, 2022, 5:16:52 PM3/25/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Does Norton say why it can't be opened? You should be able to add freedv.exe to its exception list to allow you to run it anyway.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Mar 25, 2022, 5:41:03 PM3/25/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 07:20:57 +1030
david <da...@rowetel.com> wrote:

> Using the Git Hash (commit ID - 1d741e4c at the time of writing) is how
> we manage configuration control internally amongst developers. It's
> available at run time from the Help-About dialog, and as Mooneer
> suggests below can be included in the installer file name.

If I use the Fedora rpm build process where codec2 and lpcnet are
linked from separate library packages, I don't see any git hashes in the
Help->About details. Is it difficult to change that so that I get the
same details as I see when using build_linux.sh in my local git
directory? It would be a small improvement if I'm trying to work out
what code went into a particular rpm, although I use my own package
versioning to help with this.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Keith Prosser

Mar 26, 2022, 10:49:24 AM3/26/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
the one I down loaded in February runs ok the latest one, Norton will not let it run it does not trust it never mind what I tell it.data protected, trying to delete a file.
it is the new security from British Telecommunications plc and have not got my head around it yet.hi hi.
I did have problems downloading it in the begin got round that ,and then installing it , now it will run and then close down.
Keith GW8TRO

Mooneer Salem

Mar 27, 2022, 3:26:58 PM3/27/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I took a look at FreeDV's CMakeLists.txt and it seems that the Git hashes appear if there's a .git folder in the source tree:

if(EXISTS ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/.git)
    find_package(Git QUIET)
    if(Git_FOUND)
        execute_process(
            COMMAND "${GIT_EXECUTABLE}" describe --always HEAD
            WORKING_DIRECTORY "${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}"
            RESULT_VARIABLE res
            OUTPUT_VARIABLE FREEDV_HASH
            ERROR_QUIET
            OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)
        message(STATUS "freedv-gui current git hash: ${FREEDV_HASH}")
        add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="${FREEDV_HASH}")
    else()
        message(WARNING "Git not found. Can not determine current commit hash.")
        add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="Unknown")
    endif()
else()
        add_definitions(-DGIT_HASH="None")
endif()

I'm not sure it'd be possible without somehow storing the hash using some other mechanism. Suggestions here would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Mar 27, 2022, 3:28:52 PM3/27/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Which version of Norton are you using? Worst-case, I can buy a license for a year and try to duplicate the issue on a VM.

Also, if anyone else has Norton and can duplicate what Keith's seeing, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Keith Prosser

Mar 27, 2022, 5:06:06 PM3/27/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
it is the new security from British Telecommunications plc

Keith Prosser

Mar 27, 2022, 5:14:09 PM3/27/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice

Keith Prosser

Mar 28, 2022, 10:18:15 AM3/28/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
this is what I get when I try to run the 32bit the same as the 64bit.

Mooneer Salem

Mar 29, 2022, 3:41:04 AM3/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER is a location used by Windows Error Reporting, which means that it seems like freedv.exe is crashing on startup for you. I'm currently generating a new build that may help and will email that out shortly. Let me know if that helps.

In the meantime, something you can also try is to run freedv.exe with the -f option to force it to use a different configuration file (page 10 of https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/blob/master/USER_MANUAL.pdf). That should cause it to "start from scratch", so to speak.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Keith Prosser

Mar 29, 2022, 9:29:56 AM3/29/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
hi Mooneer
I was trying to run the prog on my office pc running win11 and Norton and boy it a handful I normally run only to receive a sdr to listening to locals and my self for testing no joy. normally I uninstall and reinstall and use the same shortcut on the desktop.
so this morning I down loaded the prog put it on a pen and did the same on the radio pc with win10 and Norton and it ran ok tx rx no problems ! so it win 11 is the problem and it getting to the regedit can find a away at the moment after do it the old school way !!!!

Keith GW8TRO

Mooneer Salem

Mar 29, 2022, 1:00:13 PM3/29/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Given that FreeDV seems to work properly with Norton and Windows 10, I wonder if it's a bug with the BT version of Norton and Windows 11. It might be good to let BT know so they can either forward the concern up to Norton or provide instructions on updating the version installed on your PC.

Also, I'm interested in hearing feedback from others that are using Norton in case this is a more widespread issue. Please feel free to reply if you use Norton and are also having problems running 1.8.0 (either on Windows 10 or 11).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Keith Prosser

Mar 29, 2022, 4:18:00 PM3/29/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
Hi Mooner ,
I have Norton on 5pc running 7,8,10,11. Feedv runs on 8,and 10, on 11 it opens and when you hit start after few seconds it close down , I tried to put in the -f and win11 comes up with no such command.
like I said it work out of the box on all the others what I found was using the new 1.8 on the radio pc and using the old 1.8 from February on win11 the audio quality was not all that good on 700E as with  old to old win11.
Keith GW8TRO

Keith Prosser

Mar 29, 2022, 4:32:55 PM3/29/22
to 'Bruce Perens' via digitalvoice
this is what I found in the history.after I uninstall the new freedv.

Mooneer Salem

Mar 30, 2022, 2:28:18 AM3/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

I should have a build with the fix for the audio quality issue later tonight and will email it out when it's ready.

As for Windows 11, I'm still not sure why it doesn't seem to work properly with Norton while not crashing with the older versions of Windows. If anything, they should all behave similarly. I'll have to think about it some more.

Thanks,

-Mooner K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Mar 30, 2022, 8:33:57 AM3/30/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:32:45 +0100
"Keith Prosser" <gw8...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is what I found in the history.after I uninstall the new freedv.

That seems very strange, I don't see why freedv.exe would be messing
about with .csv files, I think I would be tempted to exclude freedv.exe
from Norton's control because Norton clearly doesn't seem to know what
it's doing.

--

Brian G8SEZ

JH0PCF kanda

May 10, 2022, 8:43:22 AM5/10/22
to digitalvoice
Thank you for your support
This is JH0PCF Kanda.
To the ministry that has jurisdiction over amateur radio in Japan
I applied for FreeDV 2020B mode
I want you to show the rationale for the occupied bandwidth to be 2100Hz.
It was pointed out that the FreeDV water hole was used in actual operation.
There is also a way to present it as an image,
Information such as subcarrier frequency spacing in 2020B mode
If you have any, please let me know.

https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/7d2d44f9e6ed11a6c7e682c97f6ffb7ca13c3ac3/README_freedv.md
All modems at are using multiple parallel carriers operating at a low symbol rate of about 50Hz. This helps counter the effects of multipath channels. Although there is a description

For 2020B mode, a low symbol rate of about 50Hz
It doesn't seem to be.
If the occupied bandwidth is 2100Hz, the subcarrier frequency interval
It seems to be about 72Hz, but what about it?

2022年2月20日日曜日 7:43:52 UTC+9 DavidRowe:

david

May 11, 2022, 5:39:09 PM5/11/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kanda,

Yes for 2020B (and there will be a 2020C soon) - the sub-carrier symbol
rate is 71.43 Hz. This information is in:

codec2/dec/modem_codec_frame_design.ods

Thanks,
David