FreeDV-Reorter callsign server source

Rick, WA6III

Jun 7, 2023, 6:18:17 PM6/7/23
to digitalvoice
This is message is mainly for Mooneer to suggest using either

Or HamQTH
https://www.hamqth.com/wa6iii  In the FreeDV-Reporter

A few days ago someone wanted to know where one of the new users logged into the FreeDV-Reported was located.

I have noticed that in order to get Callsign/Name/location info from QRZ, if you are not logged in to their system (or don't have an account to log into) All QRZ returns is callsign (no other useful info, including City/State/etc) and it tells you that you have to be logged in to see the stuff!

HamQTH.com  is the same one that John K7VE uses in the QSO finder and it works quite well.  But, I have found a few callsigns that it couldn't find.  They weren't in that system where I have not found any callsigns (yet) that didn't come back from HamCall.net (unless they didn't exist at all!)

So, I would vote for HamCall.net (Buckmaster International)

They do not require a log in to get all FCC info on any callsign. And they have the added benefit of showing every owner of a call back several years.

Cheers,

Rick
WA6III

Mooneer Salem

Jun 8, 2023, 4:31:07 AM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

I just restarted FreeDV Reporter with some changes to fix the chat user list and additionally to use HamQTH instead of QRZ. Hope that helps!

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Barry Jackson

Jun 8, 2023, 6:05:38 AM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2023 09:30, Mooneer Salem wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I just restarted FreeDV Reporter with some changes to fix the chat user
> list and additionally to use HamQTH instead of QRZ. Hope that helps!

Well not if you prefer qrz.com.

Can this be made optional and set in a cookie?

Barry

> Thanks,
>
> -Mooneer K6AQ
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Rick, WA6III <myr...@gmail.com
> <mailto:myr...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> This is message is mainly for Mooneer to suggest using either
> https://hamcall.net/call?callsign=wa6iii
> <https://hamcall.net/call?callsign=wa6iii>
>
> Or HamQTH
> https://www.hamqth.com/wa6iii <https://www.hamqth.com/wa6iii>  In
> <mailto:digitalvoice...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/a512c352-ba41-48a2-b3e5-ff498b8c3373n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/a512c352-ba41-48a2-b3e5-ff498b8c3373n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxNjSUUg8LtuSLJg_v%3DpENUfXq1naTreqbUcykurSKeAFg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxNjSUUg8LtuSLJg_v%3DpENUfXq1naTreqbUcykurSKeAFg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

dB explained Edwards

Jun 8, 2023, 7:27:48 AM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
QRZ.com is best for me as well!
Eric GW8LJJ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/8e0a7dc8-70d2-4896-aa8a-9df591e97280%40gmail.com.

Mooneer Salem

Jun 8, 2023, 1:51:33 PM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm not sure about making it user-selectable while still having a clean enough interface. I'll think more on how to do this.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/8e0a7dc8-70d2-4896-aa8a-9df591e97280%40gmail.com.

wal...@k5wh.net

Jun 8, 2023, 2:23:27 PM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I’ll cast my vote for QRZ myself. 😊

There’s SOOOO much more valuable information on QRZ than there is on the other systems.

Just my 2 cents.

Walter/K5WH

Michael Lizzio

Jun 8, 2023, 8:21:17 PM6/8/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I 2nd that!

Mike Wa2top

Mooneer Salem

Jun 9, 2023, 3:21:06 AM6/9/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I reverted the HamQTH change for the time being and went back to QRZ. As mentioned, I'll continue to think about how to best support multiple services.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mark Hale

Jun 9, 2023, 4:06:52 AM6/9/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I’ll second QRZ, agree with Walter there is a great deal more information and certainly over here in the UK it seems to be the go to place

Mark GW0POA

Rick, WA6III

Jun 9, 2023, 4:09:02 AM6/9/23
to digitalvoice
QRZ is a for profit company that serves a LOT of advertising along with their content.  They also have for sale pages, moderated forums and other 'stuff" .   Nothing wrong with any of that. but they make you log in it and you have to pay extra if you want to use the forsale pages or certain other content.   If you do not have an account, you can't play and to be fair, they don't currently charge for the basic level account.

HamQTH seems to be a little "free-er" and doesn't inundate you with advertising,  but also doesn't have forums, forsale pages and the like.  They just provide a quick interface for location grid square etc. And you do not have to log in to get the basic callsign info.

It would seem to be a better choice when making a callsign "clickable" to find basic location info.  Ultimately anyone can launch either and click whatever they like!

It appears that either one would be satisfactory for the Freedv reporter.  Since I don't have a QRZ account, I cannot see anything with a callsign :"click" other the callsign.  It informs me (in a new tab)  that I must "Log-in" to get the other info.

I don't really have a problem copy/pasting the callsign into a new tab with one of the other callsign sites if I really want to know where the user is located.

It would really be convenient if the lookup was internal to the FreeDV reporter (small pop-up window within the reporter)  Then it wouldn't matter at all where the info was coming from.

So, I guess maybe the real question is what exactly *should* the "call-click" return?  If one wants to go "browsing" QRZ or another site in a new window or tab, then it's current operation is appropriate.

If all one wants is a location (Call, name, address grid) in a small popup in the same window, then that might be the better direction to go.

ymmv

Rick   (Sorry for the long answer to a short question!!)
WA6III

Michael Lizzio

Jun 9, 2023, 8:17:11 AM6/9/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Mark Hale

Jun 9, 2023, 11:47:30 AM6/9/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Mark

dB explained Edwards

Jun 10, 2023, 4:03:16 AM6/10/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes, more info on QRZ.com. Great stuff!
Thanks,
Eric GW8LJJ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 14, 2023, 1:26:06 AM6/14/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I updated FreeDV Reporter tonight to allow usage of your choice of callsign service. Basically, if you click or tap on a callsign you'll see something like this:

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 10.23.45 PM.png

(clicking/tapping on the callsign again will dismiss the popup)

Let me know if you run into any issues with this :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Rick, WA6III

Jun 14, 2023, 3:25:25 AM6/14/23
to digitalvoice
Mooneer, you are awesome!

Brian Morrison

Jun 14, 2023, 11:27:04 AM6/14/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:25:49 -0700
Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I updated FreeDV Reporter tonight to allow usage of your choice of
> callsign service. Basically, if you click or tap on a callsign you'll
> see something like this:
>
> [image: Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 10.23.45 PM.png]
>
> (clicking/tapping on the callsign again will dismiss the popup)
>
> Let me know if you run into any issues with this :)

Can this be applied to the 'Last Rx Callsign' column too please :)

--

Brian G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jun 14, 2023, 11:34:46 AM6/14/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Done. Shift-Reload :)

-Mooneer K6AQ

Bret Mills

Jun 14, 2023, 12:28:22 PM6/14/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Works very slick
Thanks for the hard work Mooneer
Bret
WX7Y

--
Bret Mills
WX7Y

John D. Hays

Jun 14, 2023, 1:09:28 PM6/14/23
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Nice lookup.  Part of the reason I used HamQTH on the old qso.freedv.org was to provide a simple authorization service based on the callsign being verified using their API. While using the API it was also possible to pull other information which was attached to the user in the chat interface.

I am happy with Mooneer's implementation and is, in part, why we redirected the old URL over.  Now there are the real time operating updates in addition to the chat server, a big win!

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 8:34 AM Mooneer Salem <moo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Done. Shift-Reload :)

-Mooneer K6AQ

--