sm1000 firmware updating requires changes for windows 10

vk2...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2021, 5:53:31 AM11/18/21
to digitalvoice
I was trying to update firmware on a sm1000 and could not due to the application DfuSeDemo (latest vers) cannot find device on USB Windows 10.

This is what I did..
On a Laptop Acer A114-31-C014 (FreeDV 2020 n/a)
Win10 Pro 2004 19041.1115

I uninstalled this, rebooted,
dowmloaded recomended replacement from ST being
STM32CubeProgrammer v2.8. (108MB)
Installed OK
Run OK
Interface is different,
You start in Read window,
follow sm2000 github instructions for connecting sm1000 tp pc
then Blue button drop down select USB
next to port (RHS) click circle arrow button-look again for device
click connect
you can read from device and save current firmware if you like.
READ blue drop down burron select save as.

To upload new firmware,
on LHS click 3 bars, select erasing and programming
file path ... Click Browse button,
select the sm1000v5.bin file or other.
select verify programming
select download file
When Ready and sure ,
Click Start Programming button.
Read log below for errors.

Hope this helps a few out
Rhod VK2TTL
North Coast NSW AU

Peter Reichelt

Nov 18, 2021, 9:28:48 PM11/18/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Rhod

I upgraded my sm1000 sometime ago and was not successful using a windows 10 machine and I reverted to using a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Nov 18, 2021, 9:34:39 PM11/18/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rhod (and anyone else interested),

If you have GitHub, we'd appreciate feedback with regard to the proposed STM32CubeProgrammer instructions (https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/pull/259/files#diff-40de5e85eb09cffc5bb3d0177f32e6a713cba0be6495cef29b13df6a69e82871). FWIW, I was able to flash mine using those instructions on a Windows 10 VM.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Nov 18, 2021, 10:12:18 PM11/18/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

I appear to have a different version that I have been using for years, DfuSe Demo V3.0.6, and have flashed the SM-1000 several times with no issue at all on Windows-10.

I just went to the site, requested the latest version of DfuSe, and it appears it’s still the same version that I have.

STSW-STM32080  is the file you really want.  As this should follow the SM-1000 load instructions correctly.

I am not familiar at all on what the STM32Cube programmer is.

If you have any issue getting this version, please let me know, and I would be glad to work with you as needed to help you get updated with this.

All the best,

Walter/K5WH

Gary Kohtala

Nov 19, 2021, 3:37:05 PM11/19/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I've done the last two updates perfectly on Windows 10 Pro machines using the latest version of DfuSeDemo.
It just works. No problems experienced here.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Mooneer Salem

Dec 30, 2021, 6:51:02 AM12/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but would it be possible for people to test the proposed new flashing instructions (using STM32CubeProgrammer)? The instructions are located at https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/3755c6b64417e3d90b520edd22b7556ac647445e/stm32/doc/sm1000_manual.md under Flashing Your SM1000->Windows. Let me know if any updates are needed.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Dec 30, 2021, 11:55:10 AM12/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks Mooneer.

I just sent you some updates to the procedure that should make this very easy.

I went through the process about 5 times very successfully, so it works great.

Thanks for all the great work on your part.

Walter/K5WH

Mooneer Salem

Dec 30, 2021, 1:12:25 PM12/30/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the instructions at https://github.com/drowe67/codec2/blob/1590eb0f76ee0b854f117b5b1fca1050a1ff853e/stm32/doc/sm1000_manual.md (note the different letters/numbers after "blob" in the URL).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ