Papers Past page number from API search

Simon Bickler

Oct 27, 2016, 2:55:21 PM10/27/16
to DigitalNZ
In using the Digital API to search through Papers Past, I am interested in getting the page number of the newspaper where the resulting articles are placed.  This is identified in the papers past website search where a breadcrumb clearly shows up the newspaper > Date >... > Page etc even when the page number may be a volume page number...e.g., 322 is the first page of a particular issue.

I have used the &fields=verbose option to get it the api to return all the fields (I assume) but none appear to have that information.  The specific URL for a result has the newspaper code and date but nothing about the page number that I can correlate.
e.g.,
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH18781111.2.5 for NZ Herald 11/11/1878  but 2.5 is not obvious page "3".

Is this page field available?

Thanks,
Simon

Digital New Zealand

Oct 31, 2016, 10:43:40 PM10/31/16
to DigitalNZ
Hi Simon,

I've asked around and unfortunately there is no way we know of to extrapolate the page number from the metadata we have in the DigitalNZ API.

As you're probably aware the whole Papers Past site recently had a big over haul. The metadata in DigitalNZs API for Papers Past is also overdue for a similar update.
We are hoping to refresh our Papers Past metadata in the new year, including getting up to date on the considerable amount of new papers past content that we don't currently have in the DigitalNZ API.
Hopefully we will also be able to the bring these page numbers into the metadata when get to this update.

Let us know if theres anything else we might be able to help you with.

Thanks
Dan

Simon Bickler

Feb 7, 2017, 10:55:26 PM2/7/17
to DigitalNZ
Thanks for the update. Sorry to take so long to reply.

Cheers,
Simon