Stop The Meter - Calgary - Day of Action Feb 26th

Glyn Lewis

Feb 9, 2011, 7:50:38 PM2/9/11
to digitalactio...@googlegroups.com
Dear Internet Ambassadors,

Thank you for joining OpenMedia.ca's Digital Action Team - Calgary organizing committee. We are in the process of gearing up for a coordinated Stop The Meter national day of action on Saturday, February 26th. As you have probably heard, because of the public backlash the CRTC has been forced to review its decision to allow usage-based-billing (UBB). They have opened up this review process to public consultation. We see this as a great opportunity to continue to call on Ottawa to Stop The Meter. In a few short weeks we've won some big battles but this isn't over yet.

Our two main campaign goals over the coming weeks are as follows:

1) Encouraging all Canadians to sign our online petition targeted to the CRTC: www.openmedia.ca/crtc
2) Organizing local Stop The Meter on-the-ground petition drives. On February 26th Canadians in over 20 communities will walk around coffee shops, campuses, and street corners asking everyone they meet to help us ensure internet access in Canada is open, accessible and affordable. Those who sign the petition locally will be added to the growing community of Canadians who have called on Ottawa to Stop The Meter and end internet caps.

We will also formally submit comments to the CRTC on behalf those who sign the on-the-ground petition.

We're going to be using Calgary Digital Action Team google group as the forum to encourage local participation in the Stop The Meter campaign. If you know anyone in your local community interested in being involved, please feel free to add them to this group. In the meantime, we at OpenMedia.ca will continue to invite volunteers to join this local organizing team through Facebook, Twitter, and our email lists.

ACTION: If you are interested in taking on a local leadership role and would like to join OpenMedia's National Stop The Meter conversation please let me know and I will add you. Currently, we would like to identify one point-person per local organizing team.

To help get the juices flowing, I will be circulating a "Stop The Meter - Petition Drive Tips" document in the coming days.

For the Internet,

--
Glyn Lewis

National Day of Action Coordinator, Stop The Meter