Tamil Common Voice - Campaign

Natkeeran Kanthan

Feb 16, 2021, 9:04:26 AM2/16/21
to Digital Tamil Studies
அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம்:

தமிழ் பொதுக் குரல் campaign இன் பெப்ரவரி 16, 2021 சந்திப்புக் குறிப்புக்களை கீழே காணலாம்.  அடுத்த சந்திப்பு பெப்ரவரி 23, 2021 (6:30 பிப இலங்கை நேரம், 8:00 முப ரொறன்ரொ நேரம்): https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7322705080

Action Items Next Week ;

  • Tharscika is going to see about scheduling a meeting for promotion with V. and the Elders, and Ann. This Thursday or Friday (18th.

  • Wednesday - Outreach to Elders (Suba, Shini, Nat at minimum)

  • Promotional outreach with Google Form (Tharscika and Tharani) - possibly around ‘mother language day’

  • Kirsta to find out from Raquel how granularly we can promote the Common Voice on Facebook ads

  • Create a 'promotional toolkit' - need instructions and key value messages. Also film some kind of workshop and caption it. KS will make a Google Drive folder to capture materials: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TrzMQT5xj0neUfyDoHQqvrRnx7Sph9bM

    • Slides

    • Letter

    • Social Media Materials

    • FactSheet

    • Training Video?

  • Show a demo in English – Shrini

  • Hackathon Day – Kaniyam Foundation – Shrini

  • Mailing list outreach - Shrini

  • Thaiveedu/Thamizhar Thagaval/Monsoon Journal media – Natkeeran

  • Annamalai intro session – Suganthan

  • Available for presentation – Khaleel/Ammar/Shrini

  • Siragugal Amaiyam outreach – Parathan

  • Hashtags t use:#TamilCommonVoice

Natkeeran Kanthan

Mar 2, 2021, 10:59:52 AM3/2/21
to Digital Tamil Studies
அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம்:

மார்ச் 2, 2021 சந்திப்பின் குறிப்புக்களையும் பணிகளையும் (action items) கீழே காணலாம்.

Action Items Report

  • Tharscika is going to see about scheduling a meeting for promotion with V. and the Elders, and Ann. This Thursday or Friday (18th.

  • Went well. He is going to schedule some workshops with the teachers. We need to follow up to determine times. Teachers and Instructors here and in Europe. Ask Tharscika to follow up re: scheduling sessions for teachers.

  • Wednesday - Outreach to Elders (Suba, Shini, Nat at minimum)

  • Outreach at Elders meetup (more than 150 people). It went well at least one person is now actively contributing.

  • Kirsta and Nat to work together for personal contacts that we know are participating heavily so we can send a personalized acknowledgement.

  • Will a certificate be provided? Yes – we would like to do this. Kirsta to set up a mock-up for certificate.

  • Promotional outreach with Google Form (Tharscika and Tharani) - possibly around ‘mother language day’

  • Kirsta to find out from Raquel how granularly we can promote the Common Voice on Facebook ads

  • “We have targeted the ads to Tamil speakers and smaller states. I can send the full list. i've shared the finalized graphics in the Tamil Voice Chat. I'll reshare the link! Love the hashtag. We'll incorporate it in our push.

  • I'll send a breakdown of where the current ad is going to. Feel free to let me know if more regions are needed and I can get them added for the new ad in April or start another ad.

  • We have an ad running in English and another ad running in Tamil. Current placements: Canada: Calgary (+25 mi), Edmonton (+25 mi) Alberta; Vancouver (+25 mi) British Columbia; Oakville (+25 mi), Ottawa (+25 mi), Richmond Hill (+25 mi), Toronto (+10 mi) Ontario; Montreal (+25 mi) Quebec, United Kingdom: London (+25 mi) England, India: Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore”

  • Facebook response is quite good – many people are not reading fully but they are drawn to the message regarding passion for Tamil. They will create a pinned comment to try to answer people’s questions. Getting people from ad to contribution has been difficult.

  • Targeting more specific areas of Malaysia and Singapore to Tamil speakers. Tip towards female audience (65-70% of audience is currently male).

  • Nat and Tharscika will create copy for next add. Going to start closer to the end of the month or April.

  • Review language on webpage to make it easier to navigate. Sundar to review and make suggestions about how to improve it.

  • Slides

  • Letter

  • Social Media Materials

  • FactSheet

  • Training Video? - Nat to record a training video based on slides. Tharani to make a video not based on slides. Need to get videos for next time.

  • We have everything but factsheet, but will need to be based on revised website page. Nat, Tharani, and Sundar will be working on this.

  • Show a demo in English – Shrini - We would like to demo deep speech in English to show people what is possible in Tamil. We need to understand the algorithm. Sundar to look into it. Shrini and Ammar and Nat have names have names of relevant libraries.

  • The pull request is not done. Want third PR by mid-march so we can plan hackathon for end March/April (14th). Correspond with Tamil NY. Other possible resource for training data: https://navana-tech.github.io/IS21SS-indicASRchallenge/

  • Hackathon Day – Kaniyam Foundation – Shrini

  • Mailing list outreach - Shrini

  • Thaiveedu/Thamizhar Thagaval/Monsoon Journal media – Natkeeran

  • Annamalai intro session – Suganthan – 12 to 15 people came to outreach presentation. People asked good questions and we hope it will inspire additional contributions.

  • Available for presentation – Khaleel/Ammar/Shrini

  • Siragugal Amaiyam outreach – Parathan spoke with Siragugal Amaiyam and they asked to do a FB live presentation. Parathran will schedule and do based on Nat’s slides.

  • Users will occasionally encounter blank entries --> mark as rejected to ensure best data set

  • Some background noise in the recordings --> mark as rejected to ensure best data set

  • Should people read slowly or quickly? --> speed should be moderate, natural

  • What should we do with question marks? --> speak naturally. Emotions are fine.

  • One more issue: the end of the sentence is not always visible in a small screen, so people miss the last words. Sometime an issue as people don’t know to scroll down.

Action Items next Time

  • As Tharscika to follow up re: scheduling workshops for teachers

  • Kirsta to make a mock-up for a certificate for participants

  • Next meeting: Work on Form

  • Nat and Tharscika will create copy for next add. Going to start closer to the end of the month or April.

  • Nat and Tharscika to work on a pinned comment with information for those commenting

  • Sundar to review webpage and suggest how to improve it. We will make a factsheet based on the webpage.

  • Nat to record a training video based on slides.

  • Tharani to make a video not based on slides

  • Ammar to follow up with Khaleel about the PR that is outstanding (needs to be done before scheduling Hackathon).

  • Shrini to do mailing list outreach.

  • Thaiveedu/Thamizhar Thagaval/Monsoon Journal media – Natkeeran - pending

  • Siragugal intro session – Parathran to schedule