Call for participation in Digitization Cost Assessment working group, part of DLF Assessment Interest Group

Rachel Marie Senese

Feb 23, 2023, 9:52:50 AM2/23/23
to digital-libra...@googlegroups.com

This email is an invitation to participate in the Digital Library Federation Assessment Interest Group’s (DLF AIG) working group on Cost Assessment in 2023. There is more information about the group below, but first, a few words about participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Neither being a DLF institutional member nor attendance at the DLF forum is a requirement for participation in any of the working groups.

Cost Assessment working group in 2023

The Cost Working group is an ideal place for digital lab practitioners and managerial staff alike to come together to talk about practical ways to assess the resources necessary to plan and execute successful digitization projects.

The AIG Cost Group focuses on identifying tools that may serve a wide range of digitization efforts. Our current goal is to analyze the data collected through multiple small surveys in 2021 and 2022 and use it to inform new initiatives.

Beyond the surveys, we continue to support the project subgroups that developed from members’ shared interests and work on various resources and issues. The current subgroups are insourcing vs. outsourcing, a registry for vendors, assessing scans per linear feet, best practices, and cost estimation.

Cost Assessment working group Goals for 2023

  • A primary goal is to complete the review and analysis of data gathered through the 2021-2022 surveys
  • Guided by this data, we will identify deliverables that may benefit our peers in the digitization realm
  • The subgroups will continue investigating norms and best practices, gathering and analyzing data, and creating easily customizable tools for broad usage

How can you participate?

Join us at our working meetings on the second Monday of each month at 3pm (eastern) / 2pm (central) / 1pm (mountain) / 12pm (pacific).

  • Zoom details will be shared through the Google Group prior to the meeting.
  • Alternatively, you can email either Julia Simic or Rachel Senese directly (see email addresses below) for call-in information.

We are seeking individuals with survey data analysis experience or interest in gaining some!

For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Kate Flynn k...@chicagocollections.org and Santi Thompson satho...@uh.edu

Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG!

Julia Simic (jsi...@uoregon.edu) and Rachel Senese (rse...@gsu.edu)

DLF AIG Cost Group co-facilitators