Cross-posting: Understanding the experiences and needs of Black students at Duke

Santi Thompson

Jun 5, 2020, 12:40:43 PM6/5/20
to Digital Library Assessment
Hello All:

I am posting this on behalf of my colleague Joyce Chapman. Feel free to follow up with her if you have questions/comments.

Thanks!

      -Santi

Santi Thompson

Head of Digital Research Services &

Eva Digital Research Endowed Library Professor

University Libraries
University of Houston
713-743-9685

http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0337-6439

sath...@central.uh.edu

Dear all,

Especially in light of current events and the possibility that more libraries are thinking about ways to reach out to Black students and understand their experiences on your campus and in your libraries, I wanted to share a study that Duke Libraries wrapped up this spring. Below I’ve provided the permalink to the report in our institutional repository. We’re happy to discuss our methodology more with anyone who is interested. It’s covered in pages 6-8, but you may have more in-depth questions if you are planning a similar study. We’ve also provided copies of all our participant and discussion moderator recruitment emails in appendix E, as well as our focus group and PhotoVoice scripts in appendices C and D.

Understanding the experiences and needs of Black students at Duke

https://hdl.handle.net/10161/20753

Abstract: Duke University Libraries (DUL) conducted discussion groups and Photovoice research with Black undergraduate and graduate students at Duke University in 2019. Assessment & User Experience (AUX) staff also analyzed the 2,800 student responses to the Libraries’ 2020 student satisfaction survey in light of what we learned from the fall discussion groups. We sought to understand students’ experiences in the Libraries and on campus to improve how all students interact with library services, facilities, and materials. We did not limit our discussions to library services and spaces, as it was important to explore Black students’ experience and use of the Libraries holistically.

Joyce

Joyce Chapman

Assessment Analyst & Consultant

Duke University Libraries