Webinar: Towards Building Equitable Language Technologies

hannahs...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2021, 2:27:54 PM12/1/21
to Digital Library Assessment
Hello all,

On December 9th, 1PM Eastern, the Cultural Assessment Work Group will present a webinar on “Towards Building Equitable Language Technologies.”  We have the wonderful opportunity to hear from Su Lin Blodgett, a postdoctoral researcher in the Fairness, Accountability, Transparency, and Ethics (FATE) group at Microsoft Research Montréal, about her work examining bias and harm in language technologies. During her talk, she will provide a survey of the world of language technologies as well as also offer some perspective on the challenges of this work.

If you are interested in natural language processing, AI, machine learning, information structuring that lends itself to collections as data, I would recommend this talk.

We hope you can join this CAWG special event to hear from someone actively engaging with the challenges that are impacted by the work we do in digital libraries - a matter that has been the subject of many discussions in CAWG.

If this is the first time you're hearing about CAWG, you can find more information on our wiki: https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment:Cultural_Assessment

And if you have any questions about this event or CAWG in general, please feel free to reach out to me.

This and other events like this will be announced via our listserv: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dlf-cultural-assessment-working-group/join

We hope you enjoy!

Digital Library Federation is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: DLF AIG-Cultural Assessment Working Group

Time: Dec 9, 2021 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://clirdlf.zoom.us/j/82974982436?pwd=WlZQYlJmM2R1bWhRR2huZEVuMzEvZz09

Meeting ID: 829 7498 2436

Passcode: DLFzoom

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82974982436# US (Chicago)

+16468769923,,82974982436# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)