Call for participation in Cultural Assessment Working Group (CAWG), part of DLF Assessment Interest Group

Jennifer Bradshaw

Mar 17, 2022, 2:09:23 PM3/17/22
to Digital Library Assessment
Apologies for cross-posting

This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Assessment Interest Group’s (DLF AIG) working group on Cultural Assessment in 2022. There is more information about the group below, but first, a few words about participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate.

Cultural Assessment Working Group in 2022

  • The charge of the Cultural Assessment Working Group is to raise awareness of cultural bias and strive for diversity, equity and inclusivity [1] in digital collection practice to create more inclusive cultures and to mitigate or expose collection bias. Where such practice is lacking, create new frameworks that uphold CAWG values.
  • The Cultural Assessment Working Group has four task forces: Outreach, Selection, Digitization Selection, and Inclusive Metadata.
  • In 2021,
    • First in a series of hosted speakers, Su Linn Blogett of the Microsoft FATE Group discussed her work evaluating the social harms of language technologies and;
    • Work began on the Inclusive Metadata Toolkit to develop guidance for inclusive metadata practice.
  • Learn more about what we do on our Cultural Assessment Working Group wiki page.

Cultural Assessment Working Group Goals for 2022

  • The Inclusive Metadata Task Force (IMTF) is working on creating a toolkit for assessing and promoting inclusive metadata for digital collections. The IMTF alternates toolkit working meetings with meetings during which we read and discuss relevant literature.
  • The Outreach Task Force will identify the next invited speaker and coordinate the speaker line-up for 2022.
  • CAWG members will collectively discuss and plan for the implementation of a cohesive toolkit and build out the Rubric of Reflection (a.k.a. CAWG toolkit for identifying/addressing harms in digital collection creation).

How can you participate?

  • Sign up for the CAWG Google Group indicating your interests and drop in on any of our open meetings (details via Google Calendar). You may also email the co-facilitators indicating your interest. Our first meeting of the year will be…..
    • Anyone can post resources to the Google Group - so feel free to share.
  • If you’re interested in supporting the group and would love to try out event planning and/or marketing in a low-stakes environment, think about joining the Outreach Task Force to help identify and coordinate the speaker for the series!
  • Our first CAWG All Hands meeting of the year will be March 31st at 1pm Central (-5 UTC). We hope to greet new members and share what the task forces have been doing and their goals for 2022, as well as set goals for CAWG as a whole.
  • You can participate in any and all of the task forces. Check the Google Calendar for meeting times.

CAWG Co-Facilitators: Hannah Scates Kettler hann...@iastate.edu and Jenny Bradshaw jennyw...@gmail.com

For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Kate Flynn k...@chicagocollections.org and Santi Thompson satho...@uh.edu

Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG!

CAWG co-facilitators,

Hannah Scates Kettler and Jenny Bradshaw