PST to mbox

Kevin Schlottmann

Nov 17, 2015, 11:02:15 AM11/17/15
to Digital Curation
Hi all,

I've been testing out the new email processing suite ePADD (seems pretty slick, once the data is in), and I'm wondering what others are doing when you need to convert Outlook PST files to mbox for the initial import.  I've tried the Linux utility readpst with various flags, but the closest I can get is emails that import correctly but with attachments that are all renamed in an odd way.  The main commercial options seem to be Aid4mail and Emailchemy. Are there any others I should check out? And for those using commercial software, what type of license have you chosen?

Many thanks,

Kevin

L Snider

Nov 17, 2015, 11:14:04 AM11/17/15
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I have used two programs, but mainly use:
http://www.aid4mail.com/

I did a ton of header testing and it seemed to do the best job and not change headers. However, others have used:
http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

I like Aid because I can make individual PDFs that link to the attachments (and use those for access), or you can also take out the attachments and save them alone. You can also make pst (or almost every other format) into .mbox. In my testing a while back, it did quite a good job on .pst files but your mileage may vary.

For any program you go with, I recommend doing a ton of header testing as the results were very informative (some programs changed time and date-not exactly useful when that was crucial for my purposes).

I have used just the basic licenses, as for my purposes the others weren't needed.

Cheers

Lisa

Lisa Snider
Archivist
Canadian Museum for Human Rights
My Views ONLY!

kta...@berkeley.edu

Nov 18, 2015, 1:51:00 PM11/18/15
to Digital Curation
Hi Kevin and Lisa,

Thanks for your posts!

In the past I used MailStore Home (free version) to convert a PST file to EML, and then used Thunderbird (with the Import/Export Tools plugin) to convert the EML to MBOX. I uploaded the resulting MBOX file to ePADD recently and all header information looks correct, and attachments are preserved and display in the attachments screen.

This method was a little more time-consuming since it was a two-stage process, and I worked with the PST file over a year ago, so I'm glad to read of more recent suggestions! MailStore / Thunderbird was a pretty straightforward process though if you are looking for free tools.

Best,

Kate

--
Kate Tasker
Digital Archivist

gre...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 18, 2015, 3:12:19 PM11/18/15
to Digital Curation
Hi Kevin,

Here at Harvard University we have an in-house email archiving solution, EAS ( http://hul.harvard.edu/ois/systems/eas/ ), which we are anticipating making open source and in which we make use of Emailchemy.

The approach taken with our current version of EAS was to include Emailchemy for conversion of different email clients to the standard eml format (an mbox contains all the emails from one folder in one file, an eml contains only one email per file).  This enables curation of emails at the individual item level.

For use with ePADD, Emailchemy can convert from many different formats to mbox format. One of the email clients we support is Outlook and Emailchemy does an excellent job in converting pst to eml - all headers reported by Outlook are preserved in the converted version.  I would expect that it would work just as well converting to mbox format.  There are many configuration options that you can use including how to handle conversion of dates, which are well documented: http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/doc/Emailchemy_User_Manual.pdf

Emailchemy ( http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/ ) provides several different licenses for their GUI versions.  For EAS, which runs on Linux, we are making use of the "Service Bureau & Embedded" version which includes scriptable command line and embedded api versions of the Emailchemy conversion engine.  There is an educational institution discount.

I have to say that I have found Emailchemy to be a very reliable product with good documentation and support and I would recommend it.  However I have not used Aid4Mail so it may be equally as good.

Best of luck,
Grainne Reilly
Senior Digital Library Software Engineer
Harvard University

josh.sc...@stanford.edu

Nov 24, 2015, 11:28:08 AM11/24/15
to Digital Curation
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your posts and the useful info. Just want to add that the ePADD user forums (epadd.nimeyo.com) are another great place at which to pose similar questions to the ePADD user community.

All best,

Josh Schneider
Assistant University Archivist
ePADD Community Manager
Stanford University

Kevin Schlottmann

Dec 4, 2015, 10:54:07 AM12/4/15
to Digital Curation
Thanks everyone! On a first go-round, Emailchemy appears to be working well.

Jake Orton

Jan 18, 2016, 4:01:14 PM1/18/16
to Digital Curation
To try this Outlook PST to MBOX Converter is an user-friendly application that provides the facility to smooth conversion of Outlook mailboxes (.PST files) to MBOX files. The software supports Outlook PST to MBOX migration for Thunderbird, Spicebird, SeaMonkey, and Netscape. - See more at: https://softcart.wordpress.com/outlook-pst-to-mbox-converter

Steve Smith

Jan 10, 2017, 11:09:11 AM1/10/17
to Digital Curation
Hi,

I suggest you to use the one of the best recommended tool PST to MBOX Converter which can efficiently convert Outlook PST files in MBOX format in few seconds. Manual method is not capable to convert the PST to MBOX format. SO, it is better to use the third party tool which offers several advance features to user.

Try it once to resolve your issue!!!

jessm...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2017, 10:18:58 AM3/29/17
to Digital Curation

You can try PST Converter tool to convert your Outlook PST emails to MBOX format. It is one of the best solutions that I have used that not only convert PST files to MBOX files, but also maintains that all the data is converted including all the email headers, formatting, attachments (in original file format) and folder hierarchy.

More information is available at : http://www.toolstoexport.com/pst-exporter/emails-to-mbox.html

dtephe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2017, 10:48:48 AM5/22/17
to Digital Curation
I would like to suggest you to use PST to MBOX converter tool, This tool will convert emails from PST file into MBOX format for importing in other emails client. I hope this will help for you. https://www.gaintools.com/pst/mbox/

daki...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2017, 10:28:44 PM8/11/17
to Digital Curation
Hi kevin..

i would like to recommended to use the Superb KDETOOLS PST to MBOX Converter software, It's great works to efficiently migration of Outlook PST files to MBOX file format with including all emails, attachments, contacts, calendar and all folders etc.

I hope it better for other solution:

davistay...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 10:38:40 AM9/29/17
to Digital Curation

GSTECH  OST to PST Converter

Well, its very much easier now to bring out of the issue created as OST corruption. you can convert OST to PST immediately with GSTECH OST to PST Conversion. It can properly checks out the issue and recover OST emails entirely with attachments and other databases. It has availability for converting OST emails to PST, EML, MSG, HTML, MHTML and OST contacts to Vcard (.vcf).

Get Link below and Convert Outlook OST to PST now

http://www.gstechsoftware.com/ost-to-pst-converter.html

simpson...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 10:39:25 AM12/20/17
to Digital Curation
Hi,

Another suggestion is to use PST to MBOX Converter that provides accurate and instant conversion of Outlook emails to MBOX format. The tool strictly maintains that the entire email properties, attachments and folder hierarchy are saved in precise manner.

Thanks,
Bella

Perry

May 8, 2018, 10:54:23 AM5/8/18
to Digital Curation
Oct 31, 2018, 9:43:49 AM10/31/18
to Digital Curation
Hello!
you can also try this PST to MBOX Converter utility that will help out to convert Outlook PST files to MBOX format with all important attachments. It gives a safe and secure working guide so that anyone can perform entire conversion process without any error.

SysData Software

Nov 8, 2018, 11:07:17 AM11/8/18
to Digital Curation
To convert Outlook PST file to MBOX format, you can try SysData PST Converter software. This tool can easily convert pst to mbox which can be used in any supportale email client. Here is the link to read more: SysData Outlook PST Converter

Jake Smith

Nov 24, 2018, 10:37:11 AM11/24/18
to Digital Curation
Outlook PST to MBOX Converter is a reliable and secure tool that enables advanced email conversion from PST to MBOX format. The software supports four major MBOX clients, including Thunderbird, Spicebird, SeaMonkey, and Netscape. With this efficient utility export bulk Email data from Outlook mailboxes to MBOX files. - See more at:  http://www.mozesoft.com/emailmigration/outlook-pst-to-mbox-converter.html

James smith

Jan 4, 2019, 11:02:49 AM1/4/19
to Digital Curation
Yes, You can check out SysTools Outlook to MBOX Converter,  I Personally use this utility that can easily convert Outlook PST Files into MBOX file format, supported by hundreds of clients, nowadays. You can check out the demo version first from this link https://www.systoolsgroup.com/outlook-to-mbox.html. Some various prominent featured are offered by the software such as:

1) Now Create a single MBOX file for one Outlook PST file.
2) Requires the installation of MS Outlook Provides Support for all the listed Outlook versions
3) Allows to import Outlook mail to  Mozilla email client without Size limitations
4) Supports Both Outlook PST file types: ANSI or UNICODE
6)  After PST to MBOX conversion, you can Import MBOX file different MBOX supported email client.

Thanks & Regards
James Smith

sofia martin

Jun 10, 2019, 3:15:36 PM6/10/19
to Digital Curation
In my last company, I was worried about how to safely convert my  PST files to MBOX format. At that moment, one of my colleagues helped me by providing  Outlook Converter to me. You can also give a chance to this tool.

james ryker

Jun 17, 2019, 9:43:53 AM6/17/19
to Digital Curation
Hi all,
 If you want to converts all PST emails including attachments to mbox format then I would like to suggest PST to MBOX converter. You can effortlessly export all PST files to mbox without Outlook. It is compatible with all formats of Outlook and windows
You can convert password protected files to mbox by this tool. It also converts large PSt files to mbox up-to 119.3 GB.

merry smith

Jun 24, 2019, 8:31:12 AM6/24/19
to Digital Curation
Try softaken pst converter software this software expert convert pst data file to mbox . For more info download link :- https://www.softakensoftware.com/outlook-pst-converter.html

Brown Jhones

Jul 30, 2019, 9:44:35 AM7/30/19
to Digital Curation
Don’t waste your time try PST to MBOX Converter for Mac tool for converting & export PST to MBOX files of Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Mac Mail. Export PST to MBOX in just a few minutes and able yourself to save & read Outlook PST emails into MBOX format. Use Free Version & See Preview of All Convertible Emails.For more details visit at-http://www.pst-converter.com/

Somit Vishwakarma

Aug 10, 2019, 11:20:27 AM8/10/19
to Digital Curation

I have a trusted utility for you which easily migrate PST file to MBOX format, the software name is MailsDaddy Outlook PST to MBOX Converter. The tool is built on simple GUI interface so there is no technical knowledge required to export PST file in MBOX format. The tool has lots of effective features like Mail filter, preview, save attachments, date range etc.

Julea anthony

Mar 30, 2020, 4:51:40 AM3/30/20
to Digital Curation

This PST to MBOX Converter is the tool that is very useful and easy to use to convert your PST files to MBOX file format. This PST to MBOX Converter can convert your PST file in multiple file formats. This utility acts efficiently and it takes minimum time to install. So that you can quickly perform your tasks.

Here are some key features of this PST TO MBOX Converter :

 Perform batch conversion of PST TO MBOX.

It supports both ANSI and UNICODE file type.

Deleted items can be recovered easily by using this tool anytime.

You can easily convert any file size as there is no limitation.

This converter allows you to create single or separate MBOX for each folder.

pst-to-mbox.gif

braxton green

Mar 31, 2020, 9:13:39 PM3/31/20
to Digital Curation
Easily Migrate your PST file to MBOX from MS Outlook to Thunderbird mail. As both file formats are used by different email clients so it is not easy to use PST file format into Thunderbird mail. To convert your PST file into MBOX for various email applications than it is necessary to use third-party application Mac PST to MBOX Converter. Mac PST to MBOX Converter Tool can easily maintain email folders to restoring CC, BCC, To, From and attachments. This tool supports all MS Outlook and Mac OS versions.

John Marcus

Jun 8, 2020, 3:04:40 AM6/8/20
to Digital Curation
I suggest PST Extractor Pro converter tool for the conversion of data files of PST into MBOX. It's an easy to use tool because of it's interface which makes this tool reliable. It ignore empty folders and recovers the entire database without any loss of data.

priyanka arya

Jun 10, 2020, 9:54:47 AM6/10/20
to Digital Curation
Checkout SysInfo PST converter which will import PST to EML, MBOX, PDF, HTML, and various other file formats. Date filter otion and nameing convention option are there for users. You can also try the demo version of the software so that you can have an idea about the utility.

Aakshit Rajput

Jun 16, 2020, 11:36:39 AM6/16/20
to Digital Curation
Hi Kevin.

You can use Sysinfo PST Converter to convert the personal folder aka PST file into multiple file formats like MBOX, TXT, MSG, HTML, EML, MBX, EMLX, etc. The user can also directly export the PST file into Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP, Thunderbird, Hotmail, Zimbra, etc. It will be the best choice to perform the PST conversion with ease and no hassle. If someone is looking for a reliable and effective software to perform the conversion then this can be used as per their preference. The tool is equipped with a highly optimized algorithm and also provides a simple and self-intuitive graphic user interface which makes it easy to use and effective. The tool performs the process in a manner that no data get changed or altered and it also keeps the folder hierarchy the same as the original file. So with no doubt, this is the best utility software to export PST file format into another file format.

anoop....@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2021, 9:46:45 PM3/16/21
to Digital Curation
Hi There,

I think you have not tried this tool. I would recommend you to try EmailsGuru PST to MBOX Converter. It is a simple and effortless solution to convert PST to MBOX along with entire data items. It is an adorable solution for users to convert emails from PST files to MBOX format.

The tool has multiple advance features which makes error-free conversion for you. You can effortlessly export PST to MBOX with attachments. The tool facilitates direct option for PST to MBOX conversion.

I have tried it first and then recommend it!! I hope this will work fine for you too...

vishwakar...@gmail.com

May 7, 2021, 10:52:28 AM5/7/21
to Digital Curation
Here you can also take the help of MailsDaddy PST to MBOX Converter tool to export PST file for Thunderbird, Entourage, Zoho Mail, Gmail, SeaMonkey, etc. It provides 100% secure and safe migration from PST to MBOX data format. Plus it supports ANSI and Unicode both PST data file of Outlook.
Users can also use the free demo version first and migrate 20 emails from PST to MBOX. For more detail: https://www.mailsdaddy.com/outlook-pst-to-mbox-converter/

Data Converter Softwares

Aug 9, 2021, 8:46:20 AM8/9/21
to Digital Curation
Download Softaken PST to MBOX Converter Software to convert Outlook PST files and convert PST to MBOX without difficulty. PST to MBOX Converter Software supports batch conversion of PST file emails or mailboxes to MBOX file, EML, EMLX, MSG,  and more formats.

Margaret Williams

Jul 11, 2022, 9:34:47 AM7/11/22
to Digital Curation
Hi all,
After testing a whole lot of PST to MBOX conversion tools, I found this utility to be best suited for my requirements. It helped me in converting my hundreds of PST files to MBOX format in quick time. Its also converted all my PST emails alongwith their attached files and documents and kept them in original. At first, I tried it with its free demo edition that allowed me convert 25 emails from PST files to MBOX. And after getting desired results with free demo tool, I purchased its license copy and converted my whole of PST files to MBOX format with accurate details.
You can also check about the software from here : https://www.macmister.com/pst-to-mbox/

Nicolas Costa

Jan 27, 2023, 10:39:32 AM1/27/23
to Digital Curation

Want to switch PST files to MBOX file format then try the PST Converter. This application can migrate PST files to MBOX format without any data loss. It offers to repair all corrupted and deleted PST files in one go. Users can repair PST files in formats like EML, MSG, HTML, MBOX, vCard, etc. it allows users to migrate multiple PST files to the target without any size limitation. Both technical and non-technical users can also use this software to convert PST files to MBOX file format. This application is 100% safe and secures to convert PST files to MBOX file format. Users can save their converted data in pe selective location on the desktop. Use the free demo version of this tool to convert some PST files to MBOX file format without paying single money.

Read More:- https://www.osttopstapp.com/pst-converter.html