new digital accessioning workstation

Sarah Newhouse

May 11, 2021, 10:37:45 AM5/11/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I inherited a removable media accessioning computer and workflow from a predecessor years ago and have never had funds to upgrade it -- until now, when some unexpected year end funds have appeared at the very last minute. The catches are:
1. I need to have my modest wishlist passed up the chain by Friday
2. This will be a Windows PC (currently it's a Mac)
3. This workstation doubles as our VHS digitization station

I'm planning to run BitCurator and Droid, but other than that I would deeply appreciate suggestions for software or tools that you use in your own workflows. I'm already heavily leaning on this post from 2013 about BitCurator requirements and the "What's Your Set Up" series from BloggERS.

Especially interested in:
- virus checking software that generates a report that can be saved (ideally as a txt file)
- video digitization software for Windows (we currently use Final Cut on the old Mac).

Thanks!
Sarah Newhouse
Digital Archivist
Drexel University

Tallman, Nathan

May 11, 2021, 1:14:07 PM5/11/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com

This might be a bit dated, but I think the general advice still holds https://practicaltechnologyforarchives.org/issue2_goldman/.

Sarah Newhouse

May 11, 2021, 3:59:37 PM5/11/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Nathan! Hadn't seen that one.

Lance Stuchell

May 11, 2021, 4:10:08 PM5/11/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarah, We have a listing of the specs of the computers and the peripherals we use for this purpose (https://digipreslab.lib.umich.edu/equipment/). The computers are now getting on the old side, but they are still able to do the heavy lifting. We do not use BitCurator much, but I think the specs would be similar. If I were to update now I would push for the fastest processor I could get, as well as a USB 3 write blocker.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lance

--
Lance Stuchell