Microsoft 6.0 Access Questions

brenna.e...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2024, 12:10:55 PMJun 18
to Digital Curation
Hi everyone,

I have a lot of password-protected Microsoft Word 6.0 files that I wish to convert to PDF to remove the password protection for easier access in our reading room. I've been using LibreOffice to open/export the files, and have noticed that the original author of the files used the automatic date updater feature in Microsoft Word at different places in the files, so the date is automatically changed to today's date.

Does anyone know a way to view/convert the files with the original dates intact, or is this something I will need to note in the finding aid for patrons?

Thanks for any insight!

Best,

Brenna

Andy J

Jun 19, 2024, 5:20:17 AMJun 19
to Digital Curation
Hi Brenna,

I don't have a suitable test file to hand, but I think it this should be possible using the 'Protect Fields' option.  If you:

- Load the file.
- Use the menu to enable: Tools > Protect Document > Protect Fields
- Then print to PDF

...the resulting file should print without being updated first, as far as I can tell.

Best,
Andy

--
Dr Andrew N. Jackson
Digital Preservation Coalition

Paul Tsyganko

Jun 19, 2024, 10:19:06 AMJun 19
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just set the file to read only in file attributes. You can apply to many files or folder structures too.

-Paul

Brenna Edwards

Jun 20, 2024, 8:19:34 AMJun 20
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy and Paul,

Thanks for your ideas! I tried them out and unfortunately keep running into the same issue. It seems opening the files in any way is what triggers the date update, even in read-only/locked mode. Probably because it requires the password to open the files at all? Not sure. I'll just make sure to have a thorough note in the finding aid for future researchers!

Thank you again for your ideas - I really appreciate it!

Best,

Brenna
--
Brenna Edwards, MSLS