PREMIS Metadata Capture/Creation

Christian Kelly

Aug 16, 2021, 3:15:12 PM8/16/21
to Digital Curation
Hello All,

I am working as a Digital Archivist in an institution where we don't have access to a preservation platform to capture some of this information.

Sorry if this seems to be a basic question; I was wondering what tools/work flows/etc. people use to capture some of this metadata if they aren't using a system that captures most of it automatically (Archivematica) or the like that might produce similar metadata.

I've looked what the LoC has regarding tools for PREMIS but that looks to be largely outdated.

I am currently capturing technical metadata, but can't find much to pull these all together or to capture events aside from creating a spreadsheet detailing what, who, and when various events occur to files.

Thank you for any information!

Best,
Christian Kelly

Karin Bredenberg

Aug 17, 2021, 9:07:15 AM8/17/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Hej Christian,

Implementation of PREMIS can be done in numerous ways and the way you have done it is one of them.

Yes, we are aware that the tools page is outdated and the PREMIS EC is working on getting a more accurate list by connecting the PREMIS tool list with COPTR. The work is on-going!

Might that be helpful?

You also have the email list for PREMIS, PREMIS Implementors' Group (P...@listserv.loc.gov), which you need to sign up for, where you also can get replies from users on different ways to implement PREMIS.

Best,
Karin Bredenberg, chair PREMIS EC

Christian Kelly

Aug 17, 2021, 1:54:37 PM8/17/21
to Digital Curation
Hi Karin,

Thank you, it's good to know that I'm on one path of implementation and this information is incredibly helpful, especially the listserv!

Much Appreciated,
Christian

Brandon Pieczko

Aug 17, 2021, 1:54:39 PM8/17/21
to Digital Curation
Hi Christian,

(Good 'ol) Data Accessioner still uses FITS to generate a metadata file that includes both DC and PREMIS metdata: http://dataaccessioner.org/

For more a extensible workflow with many or larger files, you could use the FITS command line tool and some style sheets to transform the XML outputs into a single PREMIS file. The University of Georgia is doing this successfully and has made their scripts and style sheets available: https://github.com/uga-libraries/general-aip
Both are unique to the UGA ingest workflow but could be customized to suit your needs.

Best,

Brandon

nickkrab...@nypl.org

Aug 24, 2021, 3:31:38 PM8/24/21
to Digital Curation
Hi Christian,

Although I think PREMIS metadata is a useful standard to implement, I often think that it is overstressed in terms of priorities for managing digital collections. The most useful part about PREMIS to me is the events model, but that type of metadata isn't listed until Level 4 of the NDSA Levels of Preservation. https://ndsa.org/publications/levels-of-digital-preservation/

In my experience I have found it more useful to first invest in other practices that are more useful for day-to-day operations, like creating file inventories and procedures for monitoring file integrity. At NYPL, we have some basic preservation event metadata sitting in various logs. These have been piecemeal and their quality has varied depending on the staff involved at the time of the effort. We haven't made an effort to combine these logs and transform them into a more official standard, primarily because it's a lower priority task than some of our other digital collection management processes.

If you already have those other practices covered, it's great to dig into PREMIS and event logging. Even then, at NYPL we're in the process of implementing a preservation platform because event logging is a non-trivial problem to solve.

-Nick