power source for 5.25" TEAC FD-55GFR

Sarah Newhouse

Oct 11, 2021, 2:04:05 PM10/11/21
to Digital Curation
Hi all,

We recently bought a 5.25" TEAC FD-55GFR drive that came without a power source. Can anyone advise me on how we should be supplying power to this drive (without the Device Side Data enclosure, which seems to be forever out of stock)? I've been googling but not finding much.

Thanks!
Sarah

Dorothea Salo

Oct 11, 2021, 9:40:37 PM10/11/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
DeviceSide also has a "tabletop" power supply for use with a bare drive:
http://shop.deviceside.com/prod/PSU5

I have a couple-three of these; they're a bit awkward but they sure do work.

Enclosures: there's a 3d print pattern for one, if you have a printer
handy. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441163

Dorothea
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digital-curation/38bb5fe0-6a76-4b2f-a4d3-82d2d588316bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digital-curation/38bb5fe0-6a76-4b2f-a4d3-82d2d588316bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Cody Besett

Oct 12, 2021, 11:33:26 AM10/12/21
to Digital Curation
A 4 pin molex to 5v/12v adapter will power the  TEAC FD-55GFR. We happened to already have one with a 3.5" IDE HDD to USB adapter.

KATA, Elizabeth

Oct 12, 2021, 11:33:26 AM10/12/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sarah,

We encountered this problem too, and we just hooked it up to an old PC. We plugged it first to the CD drive and then to an open SATA power source on the motherboard. I’ve attached a couple images that should help make it more clear.  Feel free to drop a line if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

Ms Elizabeth KATA | Archives Associate |

Archives and Records Management Section | Division of General Services| Department of Management |

International Atomic Energy Agency | Vienna International Centre, PO Box 100, 1400 Vienna, Austria |

Email: E.K...@iaea.org or arch...@iaea.org T: (+43-1) 2600-21192

Follow us on www.iaea.org

Oct 12, 2021, 12:07:05 PM10/12/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Sarah,

Something like this would do the trick:

While it's technically an HD USB adapter, the power supply includes the correct connection for the TEAC drive. It's also just a generally handy tool to have around for transferring data off IDE & SATA external hard drives.

Matt

----
Matthew Adair

Lead Archivist for Digital Imaging and Infrastructure
[Due to working remotely, email is the best method to reach me.]

Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2113
734-647-3537
http://bentley.umich.edu
@UmichBentley

The Bentley Historical Library acknowledges that coerced cessions of land by the Anishnaabeg and Wyandot made the University of Michigan possible, and we seek to reaffirm the ancestral and contemporary ties of these peoples to the lands where the University now stands.

Sarah Newhouse

Oct 15, 2021, 2:21:28 PM10/15/21
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone who responded! I also got a response off-list that I'll anonymously post here, for anyone who has this issue in the future:

Back in the day, I would just use a spare PC desktop powersupply and a cable adapter like this for the molex attachment:

Not sure if the drive you have is meant for internal or external use but if internal that should work.

The internal power cables in the PC powersupply are all 3.5, 5, and 12v depending on which color cable it is.  Its been a long time but if memory serves the black is ground, yellow is 12v and red is 5v but I could be remembering that wrong.  It just depends on which molex connector they go to.  It's probably a little more nuanced than that but all the internal drives (cd rom, floppy, 3.5 hard drive, 5.25 hard drive, etc.) all run off of the same voltage.

Just fyi my knowledge is a little dated.  I haven't built a new PC in probably 5 years now so I don't know if some standard has changed with newer power supplies but I doubt it.  See if you can find a spec sheet for whatever power supply you are going to do and just see what they say the voltage output is.  This stuff is heavily standardized though and meant to work pretty much across the board so you should be fine.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Digital Curation" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digital-curation/VI1PR01MB649440611896440105508AC4F6B69%40VI1PR01MB6494.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.