Tools for transferring files from SharePoint

Matt Testa

May 4, 2022, 10:57:18 AM5/4/22
to Digital Curation
Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations on applications for Windows that facilitate the transfer of large amounts of data from Microsoft SharePoint or OneDrive. I have found the OneDrive app to be prone to failure when I am attempting to download folders containing more than about 5-10 GB. I know there are tools such as Filezilla and Cloudberry that are capable of connecting directly to a SharePoint server and downloading more reliably, but these will require vetting by my IT department for security reasons.

I'm curious if anyone has preferences for a tool that performs well and is reasonably secure. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Peabody Institute, Johns Hopkins University

Tyler Thorsted

May 5, 2022, 9:59:14 AM5/5/22
to Digital Curation
Matt,

I think the best answer is to sync the data using the desktop OneDrive app, Sharepoint can also link a folder to OneDrive which can then sync using the desktop app, making the content download to your local computer.

There is some observed issues with downloading OneDrive and Sharepoint folders as ZIP files larger than 4GB. Using additional tools to uncompress may be helpful.

Good luck.

Tyler Thorsted

Emily Sommers

May 6, 2022, 7:52:36 AM5/6/22
to Digital Curation
Hi Matthew,

Though I haven't used it myself yet, check out Rclone - https://rclone.org/

Best,
Emily

romain guedj

Jun 7, 2022, 9:17:02 AM6/7/22
to Digital Curation
Hi Matt,

Another alternative....

If your OneDrive has been mounted on your computer, then you can use your OneDrive path as a source path with Robocopy. You can use Robocopy in your windows prompt.

For example:
robocopy "C:\Users\username\OneDrive - name\path\ToYour\Folder" "C:\Users\username\Documents\testLocalCopy" /E /Z /R:5 /W:5 /TBD /V /MT:8

Your destination could also be a remote drive you have already mapped as a network drive.

See example below: (jump to the second point directly)
https://pureinfotech.com/robocopy-transfer-files-fast-network-windows-10/

Cheers,

Romain

Guedj Romain