Digital Badges

Giles Lancaster

Jun 6, 2012, 1:32:49 AM6/6/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
I have been watching with interest the concept of digital badges, for about a year.  Is there a place for these in a digital citizenship course we would develop?
Concept explanation http://openbadges.org/en-US/

Paul Seiler

Jun 6, 2012, 1:40:28 AM6/6/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com

A good idea. I believe that both Moodle (issuer) and Mahara/MyPortfolio (displayer) will support open badges. Maybe others know the timelines?

Claire Amos

Jun 6, 2012, 5:00:16 PM6/6/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea a lot - we could do it with the Moodle version. Not sure about others?

A nice addition to the certificate!

Claire

Sent from my iPad

Claire Amos

Jul 29, 2012, 5:30:54 AM7/29/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Last week there was a face to face session organised by Andrew Cowie and thanks to the NEAL loop/PD cluster, NetSafe and Esther Casey at the National Library.

It was a great opportunity to go through and tease out recommendations from the Google Docs. Here is where we got to!

Google Doc recommendations suggested a need for three DC courses Primary (Years 1-6), Intermediate (Years 7-10) and Secondary (Years 11-13) - the reason for this was respond to the concerns voiced about the primary and secondary alone not meeting needs of all primary students. This also aligns with the three levels seen in NetSafe's LGP.

Each course will have 10 modules - the idea is that the course could work as a whole ot that any one module could be picked up and/or remixed and used in context of wider courses of study.

Each module will follow a common structure with a range of headings - Learn, Recall, Think, Think, Act , Extend - this ensuring that the modules could be used as complete lessons, rather than just resources and links.

Also in response to recommendations so far we are also going to publish it in three platforms - a website, wikieducator and for the secondary one we will develop a ready to use Moodle course.

In terms of a timeline - the wikieducator and website resources (pitched at teachers) will be launched at Ulearn12 in association with NetSafe, NEAL and the National Library. Woot!

The Moodle course will be ready for the beginning of 2013.

If you are keen to contribute some more, please continue to add to the Google doc (this will continue to be used throughout)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cuKhvh0zLVxAEYvOYhz1xA2g3Tkmp-IEWPyDudYvkTs/edit#heading=h.la5cbcreop70

Or if you want to pitch a more detailed module idea, you could add your ideas on one of these Google Docs. Just click on the module link within the doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1An5KKiBAY5Y0xpi3NjLqqDDmrVkV14o7F3FJDxJ9Q1c/edit

You can check out the temporary (planning) website here (it gives you an idea of how the site might be structured) - note that there is only an outline (and it needs prettying up) If there is anyone keen on building a wordpress site for the project - shout out!!
https://sites.google.com/site/thedigitalcitizenshipproject/home

To help you imagining what the wikieducator and Moodle platforms might look like you could check out Jaqui Land's trial versions, she is trialling it at the mo'.

From Jacqui Land: I have put together a course for our year 9's based on what is here, as a starting point. I am trialling it with a class now. Please feel to have a look and use what is useful for what you are doing. I can back up the course so anyone who wants one can have a copy. The address is http://papnet.papanui.school.nz/course/view.php?id=2035 <https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.google.com/url?q=http%253A%252F%252Fpapnet.papanui.school.nz%252Fcourse%252Fview.php%253Fid%253D2035%26sa=D%26sntz=1%26usg=AFQjCNGDCffOdJkSl7kSkpNcUpEMUdwVbQ> and the key is Digital. I have also put together a teachers guide on Wikieducator, which again you are free to use and modify the address is http://wikieducator.org/Digital_Citizenship_Teacher_Guide <https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.google.com/url?q=http%253A%252F%252Fwikieducator.org%252FDigital_Citizenship_Teacher_Guide%26sa=D%26sntz=1%26usg=AFQjCNEOoKx9uXzayg01JNMNe0G8yKomsQ>
These will both be modified based on Feedback from the class. I am happy to trial any other resources with them, if anyone has any great ideas.

Of course the other way you can contribute is by replying and sending an email - comments, ideas and feedback always welcome!

There will be another face to face in Week 9 this term - let us know if you would like to be there!
Remember all of this is open to everyone and it is only a resource....hopefully a fairly useful one! The hope is that people will use it as they see appropriate - pick a module or use it as a course.

PS. There was a lovely profile on the project in the NZEI magazine, you can see a scanned copy here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HD7CxaCrLIN3VKNklpTjltVE0/edit

Cheers

Claire

Claire Amos
Director of e-learning
T +64 9 630 5963
Silver Rd, Epsom, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
T +64 9 630 5963 F +64 9 638 9143
www.eggs.school.nz <https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.eggs.school.nz/>

winmail.dat