Covering all (LMS) bases

Paul Seiler

May 17, 2012, 3:21:53 PM5/17/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, what a great ideas this project is. I believe it useful to consider the target or run-time platform before proceeding too far down the planning/preparation, so as to waste as little time\/energy as possible. As far as covering all (or at least the three MoE funded) LMS I can see two approaches:
  • Create the content in a neutral platform (such as WikiEducator) where easy conversion paths to each LMS exist. Create once, migrate three times. Downside is that is is unlikely to support the LMS-specific learning activities you are likely to want within Moodle (for example) or
  • Plan once in this group/document and recruit three groups of LMS publishers, one for each LMS platform. Probably the best approach to get the most out of each, works best for you/EGGS Claire and the users of other LMS can join in if they wish.
What do the rest of you think?

Paul

Claire Amos

May 17, 2012, 5:31:10 PM5/17/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul.

I really like the idea of developing it somewhere neutral. I think the LMS specific activities can still be used after migration - sort of have a baseline course that can be adapted once within a specific LMS. Do we have open versions of each? I know that there is the Moodle Hub that could possibly be utilized?? What about KnowledgeNet and UltraNet???

Once we have a few more on board we can probably set up a bit more of a timeline and strategic plan next week. I am very keen to find someone keen to lead the Primary group (although we will ultimately all work together)?? Mr Wood is that you???

Thanks for the ideas and the support!

Cheers

Claire

GilesL

May 17, 2012, 6:42:09 PM5/17/12
to Digital Citizenship Project
As usual Paul has highlighted an important issue strategically. My
preference would be a two-step process.  A pooling of knowledge to
create repository of resources / activity outlines on wikieducator or
http://www.mylgp.org.nz  then turn those into a LMS specific courses/
resources that has been co-constructed for specific platforms by those
using those platforms. At the end of the day I would like to be able
to restore a course to my install. At that point I may fine turn to
meet my client base, while preserving a course / resource reflective
of greater creativity than I can bring to it as an individual.

On May 18, 9:31 am, Claire Amos <a...@eggs.school.nz> wrote:
> Thanks Paul.
>
> I really like the idea of developing it somewhere neutral. I think the LMS
> specific activities can still be used after migration - sort of have a
> baseline course that can be adapted once within a specific LMS. Do we have
> open versions of each? I know that there is the Moodle Hub that could
> possibly be utilized?? What about KnowledgeNet and UltraNet???
>
> Once we have a few more on board we can probably set up a bit more of a
> timeline and strategic plan next week. I am very keen to find someone keen
> to lead the Primary group (although we will ultimately all work together)??
> Mr Wood is that you???
>
> Thanks for the ideas and the support!
>
> Cheers
>
> Claire
>

> On Friday, May 18, 2012 7:21:53 AM UTC+12, Paul Seiler wrote:
>
> > Hi all, what a great ideas this project is. I believe it useful to
> > consider the target or run-time platform before proceeding too far down the
> > planning/preparation, so as to waste as little time\/energy as possible. As
> > far as covering all (or at least the three MoE funded) LMS I can see two
> > approaches:
>
> >    - Create the content in a neutral platform (such as WikiEducator)
> >    where easy conversion paths to each LMS exist. Create once, migrate three
> >    times. Downside is that is is unlikely to support the LMS-specific learning
> >    activities you are likely to want within Moodle (for example) or
> >    - Plan once in this group/document and recruit three groups of LMS

Paul Seiler

May 17, 2012, 8:39:36 PM5/17/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com

Giles, thanks and lets go with wikiEducator, OERNZ. We have already established some interopability and the licensing is great.

Paul.

Rohan Meuli

May 18, 2012, 12:08:41 AM5/18/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Dear Team

On behalf of Watchdog, we're happy to assist with the "Moodle in NZ Schools" hub, integration with KnowledgeNET and (if appropriate) some input into the project itself on Internet safety (as one of the MoE's providers of Internet safety services).

Cheers

Rohan

Claire Amos

May 18, 2012, 1:21:56 AM5/18/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rohan!

Claire Amos
Director of e-learning
T +64 9 630 5963
Silver Rd, Epsom, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
T +64 9 630 5963 F +64 9 638 9143
www.eggs.school.nz <http://www.eggs.school.nz/>

________________________________

Claire Amos

May 19, 2012, 12:24:50 AM5/19/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
There is a great looking Digital Citizenship webinar coming up on 6th June - a panel of Principals and NetSafe, will be a great source of ideas, strategies and resources me thinks! Hopefully see (or hear you) there!
http://www.vln.school.nz/pg/event_calendar/view/575383

Cheers

Claire

Sent from my iPhone

On 18/05/2012, at 5:22 PM, "Claire Amos" <a...@eggs.school.nz> wrote:

Thanks Rohan!

Claire Amos
Director of e-learning
Silver Rd, Epsom, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
T +64 9 630 5963    F +64 9 638 9143
www.eggs.school.nz

Claire Amos

May 22, 2012, 3:01:04 PM5/22/12
to digital-citiz...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just a quick update - one week in!

Numbers - We have 22 signed up to the list serve and over 30 on the Google Doc. It would be great if we could build on these numbers to get a truly representative spread of educators involved. If you could encourage involvement via your blogs, twittering and/or face-to-face networks it would be absolutely appreciated. I have pasted in the link to the Doc and Group below, in case you wanted to simply forward this email.

Senior planning - I am going to get going on the 'senior' DC planning next week (hopefully some of you are keen to join in too??), so if you have any suggestions, existing courses or resources that you would like to share before then, it would be most helpful! You can either share them though the DC list serve or add directly to the Google Doc. Hoping we can come up with a draft vision/concept, course outline and learning outcomes over the next 2-3 weeks - any contributions or feedback welcomed! I certainly don't want to monopolise the project. Anyone keen to drive the planning for the 'Junior' course(s)? (Allanah - I hear your concern about the range of needs in Years 1-8).

NetSafe - I have a meeting with Sean Lyons from NetSafe on Friday to discuss the project (and how they might get involved) - how would you like to see NetSafe supporting and/or being involved?? They are of course the experts in many areas of DC so we will be looking to them for advice and/or resources. Do you think it is a good idea to see if NetSafe might provide a 'certificate' or something for students on completion?? Would this give the course more "weight"?? Any ideas welcomed.

Platforms - There has been much discussion about this. It has evolved to the point of being quite open and flexible with the idea floated that the course content be published on wikieducator (as a share point only) with the view to it all being avaialble to share, migrate and embed in your own LMS or online space of choice. This does make sense. I would also like to trial (at senior level??) creating a course on somewhere like the Moodle Hub that could be accessed by students from any school and thereby getting students to participate on a national level with one another as a single community?? It wouldn't matter what LMS any school used day to day, as they would simply self enrol, accessing the course from a link within there existing LMS?? Each of these options are not mutually exclusive (thanks to the ease of sharing and migrating online...).

Thanks for the interest and energy shown so far!

Keep the ideas coming!

Link to Google Doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cuKhvh0zLVxAEYvOYhz1xA2g3Tkmp-IEWPyDudYvkTs/edit

Link to Google Group