Bar O Mix power barrow

Deb Birks

Apr 22, 2020, 4:13:47 PM4/22/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Hi, I am new to this site, but it looks great.
Does anyone have a pwer barrow for sale, or know the whereabouts of one, please?Thanks DB.

Bobisok21

Apr 24, 2020, 3:01:20 AM4/24/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Any preference on make?

Deb Birks

Apr 26, 2020, 5:03:13 PM4/26/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Yes, I really want a Bar O Mix,they look so good, any condition, as long as generally complete, but I imagine it's the sort of machime you have to inherit !

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 8:01:20 AM UTC+1, Bobisok21 wrote:
Any preference on make?
Message has been deleted

Deb Birks

Apr 27, 2020, 5:54:58 PM4/27/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Thank you Bobisok, I appreciate your reply, I will have to start looking in earnest, now, and hope that one turns up. Thanks again.

Tim Rhymes

Apr 27, 2020, 6:15:12 PM4/27/20
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
As the long time owner of the blue painted barrow pictured on this site I agree that they are particularly well made & heavy duty but I have always felt that the design leaves a lot to be desired. The rear castor wheel has always seemed to be more of a hindrance than help, keeping the back too high and difficult to balance when going downhill loaded. I have also used one with the simple rear leg & found it much easier to control & despite being slightly smaller, more productive over the working day.
The gravity tip is fine if tipping into a trench or skip but doesn't empty on to a flat surface, reversing away merely spreads the load over a wide area.
We still use ours on our own property but rarely, if ever take it on site as there are many better machines available to hire.
Tim Rhymes

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020, 8:56 pm Bob Morris, <bobi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes I too think they are the best. I got my first in the early nineties, I went to help a friend buy a mower and spotted in the same shed and had no hesitation in buying it. The build quality in particular reminded me of a site dumper but scaled down. It didn't disappoint as  it's first job was moving the soil and sub soil from a large pond I dug quite a long way through a garden then up a sturdy ramp and then tipped into many skips. It never let me down and proved it's worth. I then bought another one and travelled about 180 miles to collect it again worth it.
My idea was to have both on a dig so that whilst one was being filled by the digger the other could be away being emptied. I've never achieved it as I've never found anyone brave enough to take drive it up the ramp.
Both mine have the Petter diesel engine, super reliable but a little noisy when working in domestic gardens.
Keep an eye on eBay and Facebook market place and also farm sales/auctions. Get up to speed on the model garments so you know what your buying. I think there's a sales brochure on diggers - dumpers plant discussion page.
Good luck with your search for one - you won't regret it !!
Regards Bob

Bobisok21

Apr 28, 2020, 3:41:19 AM4/28/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Tim
I do agree with you about the characteristics you describe when using them. One of mine has an inflatable jockey wheel and the other has a solid one. The former one is much easier to control and I make sure the pivot pin, bush etc is well greased. I've thought about replacing one with a quieter more modern engine but must get the RPM right and a bit concerned if it weighs less than the Petter then this could affect the balance of the machine, especially when going down hill. Have you used or seen one that has the seat on wheels fitted as shown in the brochure.
Bob

Leslie Ford

Apr 28, 2020, 6:03:17 AM4/28/20
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
I have converted to a 7hp Chinese Honda Type Engine, a 22mm centrifugal clutch by OKE spares, a A39 drive belt and a thumb throttle it works really well as you have more control withe speed.   The original engine was missing and a puncture proof wheel.

The only parts I have not been able to locate is oil seals.

Bobisok21

Apr 28, 2020, 6:51:50 AM4/28/20
to diggers-dumpers-plant
Useful - thanks

Tim Rhymes

Apr 28, 2020, 11:25:44 AM4/28/20
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob
Ours has the original 4hp Briggs and Stratton engine which must be much lighter than the Petter diesel, I'm not sure if it is positioned differently to improve the balance or maybe that is why it has a tendency to tip forward when going downhill loaded. I've not had any experience of the seated model, don't think I would trust that!
Tim