Bury

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 11:20:34 AM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi again

So now that the bury functionality has been added back to the UI, can we please have a flag or something that tells us this info in the API. This was the biggest disconnect in version 1.0 of the API, IMHO.

The tool I am working on is really for publishers to better understand where their content places. And if the Digg community buries it, we want to let them know.

Thanks!
Jerry

Will

Dec 9, 2010, 2:47:35 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
Hi Jerry,

Although we're asking users to bury low quality content, Digg.com
doesn't expose the number of buries, and generally we're taking the
approach that the API doesn't expose sensitive data which isn't
already exposed on Digg.com. In that light, it's unfortunately not
currently in our plans to expose bury data via the API.

Thanks!
Will

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 2:59:13 PM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will

I understand what you are saying about the bury count but I am not asking for that sensitive data. I am asking for data which is, more or less, currently front facing. At Digg.com, when a story receives whatever the magic count of buries is...it is removed from the flow of Top News or Upcoming. It would be nice to have a flag that let's us developers know when this has happened.

I don't need to know how many buries it received or what not. But if a story is pulled from the general flow and not exposed to Digg's visitors, why can't the API reflect that too? Just as a publisher wants to know that a story has been submitted to Digg, they are going to want to know if that story is no longer in the mix. No?

Jerry

Failed Pics

Dec 9, 2010, 3:41:12 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
I agree with Jerry, adding status -> "buried" in getInfo API would be
an great improvement.

On Dec 10, 12:59 am, Jerry James Stone <m...@jerryjamesstone.com>
wrote:
> Hi Will
>
> I understand what you are saying about the bury count but I am not asking
> for that sensitive data. I am asking for data which is, more or less,
> currently front facing. At Digg.com, when a story receives whatever the
> magic count of buries is...it is removed from the flow of Top News or
> Upcoming. It would be nice to have a flag that let's us developers know when
> this has happened.
>
> I don't need to know how many buries it received or what not. But if a story
> is pulled from the general flow and not exposed to Digg's visitors, why
> can't the API reflect that too? Just as a publisher wants to know that a
> story has been submitted to Digg, they are going to want to know if that
> story is no longer in the mix. No?
>
> Jerry
>
> > diggapi+u...@googlegroups.com<diggapi%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Will

Dec 9, 2010, 7:13:56 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
I can definitely see how this would be helpful, but the concern is
that it would be most helpful for spammers who are trying to reverse
engineer the spam detection algorithms. For legitimate publishers, it
is relatively uncommon for their stories to get buried off.

That said, let me have a discussion with the rest of the team here and
see if others feel I'm being too conservative.

Thanks,
Will

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 7:56:30 PM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Will

I work with Discovery Channel as a writer, over various publications, and I have seen quite a few things get buried. In fact, a big part of that was anything that was considered "liberal." If you recall the whole Digg Patriots thing that went down, my digg account (jerryjamesstone) was one of the accounts that was targeted because I submit a lot of green news. Not just from Discovery but from many "trusted" sites.

I consult for over 12 different publishers total and I have seen this behavior happen quite a bit. Now, I fully understand your concerns about spammers. I myself do not want to see the Digg front page taken over by spam. It seems logical, no, that by letting us know of a bury via the API is not anymore info than what they could get from the site themselves.

I would think this wouldn't help them reverse engineer the algo because they would not have the bury counts. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your consideration!
Jerry

Will

Dec 10, 2010, 12:25:45 PM12/10/10
to Digg API
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for your thoughts. We're having a discussion on how to approach
this issue, and hopefully we'll have something for you early next
week.

Thanks,
Will
> > <diggapi%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<diggapi%252Bunsubscribe@googlegroup s.com>>

Jerry James Stone

Dec 10, 2010, 1:35:58 PM12/10/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
thank you!

Jerry James Stone

Jan 13, 2011, 4:31:38 PM1/13/11
to dig...@googlegroups.com
I was just wondering what the status of this is?

BTW, if any of you were in yesterday's chat session with Matt, hi!

Jerry James Stone
http://about.me/jerryjamesstone

Will

Jan 13, 2011, 5:10:49 PM1/13/11
to Digg API
Hi Jerry,

(I was sitting in the corner. Hi!) We're still really concerned about
the impact this will have for spammers because it will make it easy
for them to test the algo to figure out what content will or won't be
buried.

-Will

On Jan 13, 1:31 pm, Jerry James Stone <m...@jerryjamesstone.com>
wrote:
> I was just wondering what the status of this is?
>
> BTW, if any of you were in yesterday's chat session with Matt, hi!
>
> Jerry James Stonehttp://about.me/jerryjamesstone

Jerry James Stone

Jan 13, 2011, 5:18:40 PM1/13/11
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will!

Thanks for the chat yesterday. I guess it is not clear to me how having that info in the API is any different than what the site displays. Like I am not looking for a bury count, just if it has been buried--like a Boolean.

I mean, said spammers can now check to see if a story has been buried, yes? They just need to visit digg.com to see if the submission is still in the regular flow of things. So that same knowledge can be inferred.

But regardless, if that is a concern...is there some sort of whitelisting you can do for certain people accessing your API. Like how Twitter gives whitelisted IPs the ability to make more API calls and what not.

Or maybe just make it available on the API and if it does become abused, pull it?