help for class

Jimmy

Dec 3, 2010, 4:49:59 PM12/3/10
to Digg API
Hi Everyone,
For a class of mine I've been asked to look into API's and see how
companies make money off of charging developers for access to their
API. I'm not really even sure what that means, but because I like
Digg, I figured it'd be an interesting place to start. Do you have to
pay to use the API to make an application or do they only make money
from when you sell an app (percentage of revenue?) If anyone has any
information about any of this it would be huge! I had no idea what i
was getting myself into haha

Thanks,
Jimmy

Steve Williams

Dec 4, 2010, 8:29:28 AM12/4/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
At 01:49 PM 12/3/2010, Jimmy wrote:
>Do you have to pay to use the API to make an application or do they
>only make money from when you sell an app (percentage of revenue?)

Neither. The Digg API is free to use.

At one time, the Digg API license permitted only non-commercial
apps. That generated some interesting discussion about what is and
is not a commercial app:

https://groups.google.com/group/diggapi/browse_thread/thread/1961b215b78888ca/0e6a9f4e1d4972f8

In 2009, we removed most of the commercial limitations:

http://about.digg.com/blog/new-digg-api-features-and-more-developer-control

Here's the current API license:

http://developers.digg.com/agreement

Note that while there are few restrictions on the use of the API,
there are restrictions on use of the Digg brand:

http://developers.digg.com/trademark